Planning a trip to NYC!

Kiari

O.G.
Feb 1, 2006
Ok so I'm planning a overnight trip to NYC with my parents and my friend. I have been twice, once we stayed at the W New York on Lexington and it was just a DREAM! I would like to stay there again but if anyone has any other recomendations I would love to hear it.

We plan to take in 1 Broadway show and each of us have 1 other choice of a place to visit. I want a Dream Shopping trip. Something that I can't find here in D.C. Anyone live or been there and have 1 must see store? Or a few options? I really wanna go to Park Avenue.

Go shopping around Soho: Marc Jacobs, Catherine Malandrino, Chanel, Prada (a very interesting store by Rem Koolhaus), Marni, Jill Stuart, Costume National, etc., mostly smaller boutiques.

Or go shopping on Madison, starting at Barneys/Calvin Klein at 60th. Go uptown. You'll pass by Hermes (the flagship), Judith Leiber, Valentino, Etro, Dolce & Gabbana, Emanuel Ungaro, Ralph Lauren, Roberto Cavalli, etc.

How old are you? I loved Avenue Q, but I think that may be more of an adult show. I've heard that some Off-Broadway shows are great too.

The last time I was there I stayed at the Renaissance on Times Square. We wanted to be in the middle of everything, but ended up not hanging around in Times Square at all! Next time we'll stay somewhere a little more off the beaten path.

Go shopping around Soho: Marc Jacobs, Catherine Malandrino, Chanel, Prada (a very interesting store by Rem Koolhaus), Marni, Jill Stuart, Costume National, etc., mostly smaller boutiques.

Or go shopping on Madison, starting at Barneys/Calvin Klein at 60th. Go uptown. You'll pass by Hermes (the flagship), Judith Leiber, Valentino, Etro, Dolce & Gabbana, Emanuel Ungaro, Ralph Lauren, Roberto Cavalli, etc.

Yes, the above shopping trip through SoHo sounds good to me too. Plenty of good broadway shows to see, we recently saw The Little Dog Laughed, it was excellent!

Thanks everyone! I am 30 and this will be my 3rd trip to NYC, Im looking into all the shops you have posted, thank you so much for the suggestions.

I just recently took my son up there. We got a chance to see Putnam Cty Spelling Bee, and it was very good. Although, I tried to pick a show a bit more humorous so it would appeal to an 11 year old. Still, prior to the show, they offer an "enrollment" of sorts where brave audience members can sign up to be in the bee, and they randomly call entrants to come up and be a part of the show. It made for some interesting situations.
What sort of show are you interested in? Also, if you have time (which it sounds like you might not) check out the Bodies exhibit down by Battery Park. BODIES...The Exhibition
It's actual humans that have been preserved so that you can see muscle, bone, and vessels and how they actually look in a real body. Very cook stuff...unless that kinda stuff makes you squeamish :smile:

Have fun!

Make sure to go to some yummy restaurants and stay away from chains by broadway like fridays etc not that they are bad but there are some amazing places in NEW YORK to eat.

Following Minnie's advice, DO NOT EAT IN TIMES SQUARE! Overpriced (for what it is), touristy, and not that interesting.

If you haven't visited the flagship stores on Fifth/57th yet, check those out.... Versace, Salvatore Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Gucci, Bergdorf Goodman, Tiffany's, Henri Bendel, Fendi, Saks Fifth Avenue, FAO Schwarz. You can start around 53rd and 5th, go uptown (detour a little onto 57th), hit the Apple Store, turn right at 60th or 61st onto Madison, go to Barneys New York, etc. until around 80th and Madison.

Flagship stores are a bit hit-or-miss in terms of service. It's either superb flawless service (if they think you have money) or it's dismissive (if they think you are a tourist). Not the greatest for shopping, but there will be AMAZING pieces in the store like the second floor of Fendi will have gorgeous hand-embellished Baguettes and Spys, the first floor of Bottega Veneta has $50,000 crocodile suitcases, the top floor of Louis Vuitton has extensive ready-to-wear.

For shopping in the flagships, shop during a weekday (like in the morning or afternoon) if you want more attentive service (like if you want to buy things), but if you just want to browse, it may be better going on the weekend where they are more crowded and you can browse without the glare of the SA.

For real shopping, seriously, go to Nolita/Soho....

I think 3rd avenue from 74th - 63rd street is a great place to stroll... there's Searle, scoop, big drop.... I don't know if there's an intermix along there, but on 74th you can cross over to Madison Avenue and towards 86th... there's Intermix, and Montmarte..

Most of these stores are in Soho as well...

Shopping during the weekday is WAY better than on the weekend.... and if you goto Century 21, i'd go in the AM when it's not packed and everything is organized. Have fun!!!