pink diamond versus pink sapphire

i'm not looking to buy either one... i was just wondering. lol.

i always thought why would someone want a pink diamond if it can look like a pink sapphire. then i realized, diamonds are generally sparklier than any other gemstone... so does that mean a pink diamond will still sparkle when it catch the light like a white diamond?

Diamond is a diamond because it's harder. I think the sparkles generally are due to how it's cut, but seeing that they're two different stones, perhaps sapphires are less "sparkly"? Not sure...

I think pink diamonds are more sparkly than pink sapphires. Kind of like comparing a white topaz to a white diamond. Diamonds seem to have more 'dimension', if that makes sense. From what I've seen pink diamonds seem to have comparable brightness to white diamonds but not the same colourful fire.

These are my observations only - I'm not an expert on pink diamonds!

This is about yellow not pink sapphires so I dont know if its the same for every sapphire? and by no means am I experienced in this field... I am just speaking from what we learned while shopping for my e-ring

I have a yellow sapphire... We had wanted to purchase a yellow diamond but couldnt afford one at the time, so we chose a yellow sapphire... it doesnt "sprakle" like a yellow diamond does/or a diamond does but it does have a "sparkle" of its own... We were told that natural sapphires are meant to reflect color so they are cut a certain way... they are sometimes cut ( i dont know the correct term) to appear more like a diamond....

^Thanks - I have a pink sapphire band that I love very much, it was part of my Valentine's Day present from my boyfriend. It sparkles and is an intense hot pink. If money were no object, I would buy a pink diamond, but for now, I'll stick with clear diamonds! Plus pink diamonds always remind me of the whole J. Lo/Ben Affleck saga LOL:P

Attachments

• Picture%20032.jpg
    Picture%20032.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • Picture%20033.jpg
    Picture%20033.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,487
diamonds have almost unique optical properties when it comes to dispersion light return .
while most other gems glow and shine a diamond has that inner fire and sparkle.

when you see a pink saph and a pink diamond side by side you will instantly see it.

basically it is the beauty of color combined with the sparkle and fire of a diamond what makes fancy colored diamonds so unique (that plus the rarity etc)

keep in mind there are also different color grades from fancy light up to fancy vivid plus undertones or a pure color etc.

Your original question was does a pink diamond sparkle as much as a white diamond, and I can personally attest that they are equal in sparkle. When you look at a well cut (for proper light dispersion), moderately inclusion-free diamond, you will see a variety of colors in the fire/sparkle in the sunlight. The same cut in any other stone will not acheive the same effect. One of the reasons why diamonds in any size are considered more valuable and attractive to something of similar cut/color in sapphire or quartz.

I have noticed that the colors in the fire change a little with the color of diamond. In my experience, my fancy natural yellow diamonds have more yellow, orange and red flash, whereas my fancy natural pink diamonds are more pink, purple and blue flash. My clear white diamonds flash all the colors of the rainbow.

Of course, the easiest thing to do for any stone jewelry to make it pretty is to keep it clean! (It's one of my major pet peeves, but that's another thread entirely!!)

The scientific answer is that Diamond and sapphire have different refractive indexes. Diamond has a higher index, thus more "sparkle". The style and quality of the cut also affects the quality of the sparkle dramatically. Addition of color affects the spectrum of light that escapes from any gem. If you have the same size diamond and sapphire, both equally pink in color, identical in cut, the diamond will sparkle more. It is also harder (less prone to being scratched) and much more rare.

The scientific answer is that Diamond and sapphire have different refractive indexes. Diamond has a higher index, thus more "sparkle". The style and quality of the cut also affects the quality of the sparkle dramatically. Addition of color affects the spectrum of light that escapes from any gem. If you have the same size diamond and sapphire, both equally pink in color, identical in cut, the diamond will sparkle more. It is also harder (less prone to being scratched) and much more rare.

thank you pixiepoo! that actually answered another question in my mind.

Rarity being a relative term. A natural, not heat treated sapphire in any color is said to be rarer than a white diamond. Pink, blue and red diamonds obviously are rare. So depends on color, specs etc. Now sapphires an be man made and those are a dime a dozen but to me are easily spotted as they don't have the same depth as a real sapphire. I'm no gemologist though, but just a lover/collector of all thing beautiful.

exactly what I was going to say. diamonds "return" light to the eye (sparkle) much better than a sapphire.

sapphire is my birthstone, so I have several different colors. I have 2 shades of pink (regular pink & madagascar pink). I also have pink diamonds. the color of the pinks are definitely different, and there is no questions that the pink diamonds "sparkle" much more.

i don't have anything constructive to add, but i want to say thanks to the OP for asking thsi & thanks to all those that did answer becasue i learned something new!!