Phw regret?!

if you dream of owning both hardwares, then unless you going to but them simultaneously, one would have to be first and it’s worked out that it’s phw - why not defer the Chanel purchase and seek the ghw B?
I agree it was probably all meant to be and phw came first! Chanel also has my heart but after getting this Birkin Youre right I might have to turn Chanel fund into next Birkin

When I wanted to buy my first B, I would only wanted B35 black GHW (this was more than 10 years ago).. But at that time I really wanted to have B badly hahaha And my store offered me B35 black PHW and believe me how disappointed I was and I couldn't really sleep.. But after I bought it I realised how happy I am with PHW and I would regret getting GHW.
So my advice is take some time wear the bag enjoy it.

When I wanted to buy my first B, I would only wanted B35 black GHW (this was more than 10 years ago).. But at that time I really wanted to have B badly hahaha And my store offered me B35 black PHW and believe me how disappointed I was and I couldn't really sleep.. But after I bought it I realised how happy I am with PHW and I would regret getting GHW.
So my advice is take some time wear the bag enjoy it.

I totally hear you. Awesome advice, Thank you!

If I was in the OP's situation, I will sell the bag.....even if I knew that I would lose some money. For something that expensive, I should really be happy about my purchase. It should definitely make my heart sing. But that is just me. Also, I agree that holding off on the Chanel purchase is good. Is the OP buying the Chanel just to have the GHW that she wanted for a B originally? If the OP does that will it make the OP truly happy? Will that scratch the "Birkin GHW itch" and make her satisfied?

Reactions: WingNut and Gigllee
Personally, I don't think hardware is a big deal, PHW or GHW. Leather, size and color are much more important factors to me when I consider buying any H bags. I have two Bs, all with PHW, and 2 Ks, all with GHW. It just happens to be that way. I like them all regardless of the hardware.

I rehomed one K32 in rough grenat and GHW, because of the leather Epsom, my least favorite leather after having it. And also rehomed a B35 in clemance and pale blue. The color is very beautiful on clemance, almost same as bleu glacier. But I don't need to have two B35s in my collection, and hence, went to a new home.

Hope my decision process above helps.

Last edited:
If I was in the OP's situation, I will sell the bag.....even if I knew that I would lose some money. For something that expensive, I should really be happy about my purchase. It should definitely make my heart sing. But that is just me. Also, I agree that holding off on the Chanel purchase is good. Is the OP buying the Chanel just to have the GHW that she wanted for a B originally? If the OP does that will it make the OP truly happy? Will that scratch the "Birkin GHW itch" and make her satisfied?
This! At any Birkin price point- be it resellers or boutique price - it’s got to be the right Bag. Right bag wrong hardware is still the wrong bag - Author, TPfer.

I prefer PHW. GHW, especially on black bags, is too formal for my tastes, unless it's brushed gold. And a B35 is a bit too big to be a formal bag.
Exactly my sentiment! I also would perhaps add a breloque charm in GHW on occasion and go for a mixed Metals look, which I do quite often. I have a two-tone Rolex and quite a few David Yurman thick chunky cuffs that pull it together. But I intend to find gold Hardware looks better on a black bag when it's a little bit dressier perhaps a 25 or 28 Kelly or a 30 Birkin at the largest. No regrets dear. Enjoy.

Exactly my sentiment! I also would perhaps add a breloque charm in GHW on occasion and go for a mixed Metals look, which I do quite often. I have a two-tone Rolex and quite a few David Yurman thick chunky cuffs that pull it together. But I intend to find gold Hardware looks better on a black bag when it's a little bit dressier perhaps a 25 or 28 Kelly or a 30 Birkin at the largest. No regrets dear. Enjoy.
Yes!! Well said. Thank you!!

Sharing my hw story: waited 2 yrs to be offered a black B25 in swift and my disappointment was h u g e when it had phw, but I took it anyway because the bag was otherwise perfection. Then 2 years later I was offered a BBB size 30 ghw and now I’m so glad having both bags, different leathers, hw and size. They match all my jewellery and the phw feels very modern. I’ve also added two barenia B25s to my collection, different colours and hw. My phw story had a happy ending and I hope you also find what works for you.

Hello dear, congratulations on your gorgeous Birkin 35. PHW is always my first choice, but I have both hardwares as I prefer versatility. What is your everyday style? Classic or modern? What are you wearing the most? Formal or casual? What about accessories / jewelry? Are you wearing more gold or silver? Perhaps you just made the decision based on your own descriptions?
1) I’m finding it doesn’t ‘go’ with everything like I had hoped.
2) owning both hardwares in black it’s not going to happen anytime super soon
3) purchasing a black Chanel caviar flap bag in gold next month so maybe that will give me the best of both worlds?!

There isn’t any wrong choice just pick the hardware that is going to work with your day to day wardrobe.

Hi everyone!
This is my first post here though I’ve been browsing this forum for years.

I just purchased my very first Birkin 35 in black Togo with palladium hardware and it arrived yesterday! Got it from a very reputable consignor and the bag is a beauty, near brand new condition, just a dream come true owning it at all!
My only concern, is did I make a mistake choosing the phw?! I’m finding it doesn’t ‘go’ with everything like I had hoped. I choose the more practical black since it’s my first bag and I do plan on it being my workhorse. I’m thinking the ghw might just be warmer and tie outfits together more. Has anyone had any similar feelings?

This bag was a big purchase for me and while I do dream of owning both hardwares in black it’s not going to happen anytime super soon so I’d like to be really really happy with the bag end up with now. Selling this one and finding the perfect bag all over again would be easier said than done so I want to be realistic. I will be purchasing a black Chanel caviar flap bag in gold next month so maybe that will give me the best of both worlds?! This is one of those moments I’m very frustrated it’s so difficult to pop into an hermes and try Birkins on. *sigh*

Reactions: Guccigucci31
Sharing my hw story: waited 2 yrs to be offered a black B25 in swift and my disappointment was h u g e when it had phw, but I took it anyway because the bag was otherwise perfection. Then 2 years later I was offered a BBB size 30 ghw and now I’m so glad having both bags, different leathers, hw and size. They match all my jewellery and the phw feels very modern. I’ve also added two barenia B25s to my collection, different colours and hw. My phw story had a happy ending and I hope you also find what works for you.
I wish I have the willpower to wait 2 years - and if I waited that long, I for sure won't turn a bag down if the hardware color isn't exactly what I wished for. Anyway congratulations! You have 4 most dreamy birkins - 2 noirs and 2 barenias. What's your magic for staying strong to build up your collection?

Reactions: Guccigucci31