PF'ers who live in Spain or have visited!

lordguinny

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Hi peeps! So my hubby and I are taking a two week trip to Europe in September. It's going to split between Spain and Germany. So my question is for the gals/guys who live or have visited Barcelona and Madrid. In your opinion which city deserves more quality time? My husband and I love exploring the culture and absorb the atmosphere by walking around, dining, etc. We will also be traveling to Sevilla/Granada but I am wondering if I should spend more time in Barcelona or Madrid?

Also, is Barcelona as crime ridden as rumored? I've lived in NYC and have visited large cities in the US and am not a wuss by any standard but I didn't know if it was just out of control in Barcelona. :confused1:

Thank you guys! :wlae:

Oh how exciting for u guys, I love traveling! I visited Spain for the first time a couple years ago and I preferred the vibe in France and Germany more, but it was still fun.

Madrid has more of a big city. Lots of nightlife (u'll have no problem finding things to do at night - bars, clubs, plazas w/ people drinking,eating), but definitely 2-3 days is enough to see the city.

Barcelona was more "historic", meaning more touristy sites, old historic buildings, boulevards, but also 2-3 days should be enough to visit.

I preferred Barcelona, but we got tired of the both big cities quick and taking day trips really supplemented the time nicely. From Barcelona don't miss a little beach town named "Sitgues". Beautiful white buildings, beach, cafes, little narrow streets, etc. From Madrid there's (Toledo, Granada, Cordoba, Seville -as u mentioned etc.)

I only wish we had visited more of "Catalonia", the coastal cities along the Mediterranean Sea. U can find tons of info on the internet about all the cities and see pics.

But Germany was awesome, especially Munich and Bavaria and visiting the castles along the Reine.

Sorry if this doesnt help much, the specific details of places in the cities to visit escape me but there's tons of info on the net.

Ooops, just realized I didnt really answer ur question. Barcelona is more the "romantic" city for strolls, just soaking in the culture etc. It felt more "old Europe" to me w/ the architecture, etc. I did not have a problem w/ crime and always felt safe, although u should always be cautious when traveling in general. I would be more cautious in Madrid, since it's really a large bustling city.

Depends on what you like to do. Madrid is huge and has some of the premier art museums in Europe. Nightlife, history etc. Barcelona has La Ramblas, the walking street with shops, open market, street artists, etc. We were told to beware of pick-pockets, but didn't have a problem. Barcelona has a Picasso museum, the architecture of Gaudi (Sagrada Familia); it's a very cosmopolitan city.

We visited both, and I preferred Barcelona, but I'm fascinated with Gaudi--we spent nearly a day seeing the buildings and park he designed.

SPAIN!!!!! I studied abroad there back in college and I can honestly say it was the best 4 months of my whole life.
There's tons to do in Madrid. Great shopping, Retiro park (Central park times 100000!), museums, fantastic nightlife, gorgeous squares, great little cities to visit nearby. I would also recommend Sevilla and Granada down south, and a stop to Majorca would top off the trip nicely. Good luck and have fun!

SPAIN!!!!! I studied abroad there back in college and I can honestly say it was the best 4 months of my whole life.
There's tons to do in Madrid. Great shopping, Retiro park (Central park times 100000!), museums, fantastic nightlife, gorgeous squares, great little cities to visit nearby. I would also recommend Sevilla and Granada down south, and a stop to Majorca would top off the trip nicely. Good luck and have fun!

OOOOH! I studied abroad in Spain for 6 months and it was also the best time of my life. I studied in Oviedo but travelled extensively throughout the entire country. I agree that Granada is a MUST! In my opinion the Alhambra is the most beautiful place on earth!

As for Madrid and Barcelona. Both have awsome art and history. Barcelona is the home of Gaudi and Picasso, Madrid has rich history, the Prado, the palace. It would be easy enough to do both and travel through train.

Spain is amazing. You'll love it. I am soooooo jealous!