Periwinkle color issue

My Nikki has not "deteriorated" more as of right now. I've been using it this week and so far so good..but I still definitely think it's the conditioner that did it.

My bag definitely wasn't abnormal LOL! I've had leaf, and lapis both and periwinkle was NOTHING like it.. different texture, weight, glazing, etc. Here are some pictures of the nikki i had, it definitely was not lambskin. It was pretty stiff too like most of the cow leathers are!

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Weird.. your picture above doesn't stand out to me as being lamb. However several people at RM are under the impression that it is. It could just be confusion, wouldn't be the first time. I just sent an email to Rebecca to see if she could put this to bed.

What is weird is that when I look back at the previous pics and close up in this thread they do look like lamb.. but yours doesn't.. :shrugs:

Reminds me a little of Grape. You know how some of the studded grape bags looked like a pebbled cow (and were a bit redder in color).. but then later the regular grape bags were released and they were lamb (and not pebbled at all)? I personally think there were two very different Grape leathers.

That is interesting BH - I never conditioned mine, but I did spray it with the rain and stain protectant, thinking it would protect it from damage. And in the short term it seemed to, but ever since the first blue showed up its gotten way worse. I really hope there is something they can do, since the bag is now basically unwearable...

Like AmberGretchen, I also only sprayed rain/stain protectant (Wilson's) and did not condition the bag (I guess I've been accidentally saying "conditioner" in place of "protectant").

I'm also wondering why mine is showing blue spots on the "non-wear" parts of the bag, though, instead of the bottom and straps like most other people. Also, it's interesting that we're seeing more posts about other colors showing spots (i.e., Peacock).

After looking at Desi's pictures again, the slight sheen on her bag indicates to me that it is lamb. See how it glistens a bit? Similar to the leaf and cranberry?

I heard back from Rebecca who has confirmed that the leather is in fact lamb. I am not sure what else I can say to convince anyone.

I guess there could be some who may even doubt Rebecca's word but I think she knows her bag's well enough to know what type of leather was used. I also happen to be very familiar with types of leathers and am seldom wrong in this area. Just because one type of lamb leather is softer than another doesn't mean they both can't be lamb.. it just depends on how the hyde was treated.

I hope this has cleared up some confusion =)

The email exchange is below..

"-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Periwinkle leather question..

Lamb!

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:34 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Can you tell me if this is lamb or cow? Just curious..."

Reactions: Shelby33
Weird.. your picture above doesn't stand out to me as being lamb. However several people at RM are under the impression that it is. It could just be confusion, wouldn't be the first time. I just sent an email to Rebecca to see if she could put this to bed.

What is weird is that when I look back at the previous pics and close up in this thread they do look like lamb.. but yours doesn't.. :shrugs:

Reminds me a little of Grape. You know how some of the studded grape bags looked like a pebbled cow (and were a bit redder in color).. but then later the regular grape bags were released and they were lamb (and not pebbled at all)? I personally think there were two very different Grape leathers.

I agree.. there were two different grape leathers! I had a nikki that was cow, and a pp wallet that was lamb...

Very interesting about periwinkle being lamb... it definitely in no way feels like it!

ETA: I applaud your knowledge of leathers!!! Despite have owning so many bags, clearly I still can't identify all my leathers!

<sigh> Just wanted to update this thread, in case anyone was wondering. It's now mid-September, and I haven't heard an update on the periwinkle issue (I e-mailed Sarah late last week but haven't heard back yet). It's been a month since I sent in my Mini Nikki and I miss having her around! :cry:

Agh, I wish I knew what was going on because I have some extra purse $$ to spend, and I'm trying to figure out if I want an RM or something else...

Guess I will sit around and enjoy all of your new purchases! :woohoo:

Any updates on this thread? I am having a related problem with a Sunshine Nikki I was trying to sell (I used Coach Leather Conditioner and then Cleaner on the underside of the handle = DISASTER), and since I'm much too afraid to touch her with anything else, I wonder if there's something RM can do for Miss Sunshine Nikki?

nekostar0412, sorry to tell you there is no update on my end. I e-mailed again last week just to to get an understanding of what to expect from this issue... I'm afraid I blindly sent them my bag expecting them to "fix" the problem, but really had no guarantees regarding whether they will fix it, whether they will be returning my bag to me in good condition, and if so, when!

So far I haven't heard back yet. It is quite frustrating since this is not a cut-and-dry "repair" issue, so I'm not sure whether I should wait or just ask for my blue-blotched periwinkle bag back.

I haven't heard anything yet either Elsie - I'm in the same boat as you, except I didn't send my bag in. But as it is now, it isn't wearable, which makes me sad because I really loved that bag. I'm just still keeping my fingers crossed that there is something they can do about it...

Thanks for chiming in, AmberGretchen, it's good to know others are feeling the same way. I was going to go vent in the CS thread (from reading that, it seems like there are other problems RM is possibly focusing on now), but I figured I would wait until the end of the month and call (that should be enough time for the tanneries to look into the issue, right? :shrugs:).

The main thing I'm frustrated about is possibly being out the money I paid for the bag. Given that I sent them the bag over a month ago, they really should be more forthcoming about what they plan to do with it, and when/if I'm going to get it back.