Pepper Spray? Self defense techniques?

missisa07

O.G.
Jun 1, 2007
Hi,

Lately I've been pretty terrified about the idea of being attacked, assaulted, or abducted. I have a weird work and school schedule, which usually results in me having to go to the gym late at night and having to walk my dog late at night. I've had experiences walking my dog late at night when guys have tried to yell things at me, whistle at me, etc. I've also had a guy that was stalking me at the gym, but he seems to have stopped after I walked to my car one night with a security guard.

I've become rather obsessed with the need to protect myself. I don't want to end up like another one of those girls that ends up missing or found dead. Especially since I tend to attract attention because I am young and carry expensive things (Chanel, jewelry, etc).

I'm looking at websites now that sell self-defense products such as pepper spray, folding knives, personal keychain alarms, etc.

I'm scared to carry a small folding knife because I'm not quire sure if it's legal or not. I tried looking it up, but the laws were a bit confusing for me to understand. Also, I'm worried the assailant might just take my own knife away and use it against me.

Any specific self defense tools or tactics that you ladies use? I think this is useful information that all girls and women should know.

TIA!!!

I bought pepper spray off ebay about a year ago. It actually is a keychain. So far I have not had to use it.

Here are some smart ideas:

Always walk with your keys in your hand. Even if you don't have a pepper spray keychain, you can always use the key to swipe at someones face.

Walk only where the streets are well lit.

Don't have alt of things in your hands. You might need to run or fight and how are you gonna do that with your gym bag, extra sneakers, cell phone, handbag, car keys, and other crap? Keys in hand, bag on arm.

And this is my humble opinion, I could be wayyyyy off but this is just something I would do. If someone comes up to you in a threatening way, just start yelling. You might scare him off then and there. You don't even need to yell help. Just yell like a crazy person.

Don't worry about your bags though. Serial killers and rapists have a weird system for picking women (like certain hair color) but I never heard of one who goes after "Chanel girls". That's probably the last thing they are thinking about, unless they are muggers.

Take a women's self-defense class. I did this years ago and I learned how to temporarily injure a person twice my size so that I could escape an attack, even if I was pinned to the ground or grabbed from behind. It was very empowering.

If you're worried about attracting attention at night, then remove the items that attract attention. No need to carry Chanel or wear jewelry when you're walking your dog or you're at the gym.

louisgurl has good ideas too.

Reactions: ColdSteel
If you are in a city that has a Krav **** class, take it. It is a fighting techinique developed by Israeli special forces and it is the best out there for learning how to defend yourself. I have had tons of self defense training and that has always been my favorite. A close second would be Brazilian Jujitsu. I know they both sound scary, but any good training facility will have scaled-back versions of their training designed for women interested in learning how to protect themselves.

Don't carry a knife unless you are trained enough to use it confidently. An attacker can easily get it from you if you don't have enough training. Pepper spray is a good tool. Again, get proper training! All the self-defense tools in the world won't help if you don't know how to use them. If taking years of full-contact self defense classes isn't your thing, at least take a basic course. If you know that you can protect yourself, you will give off more confidence and potential attackers may think twice. And in the event that something does happen, most attackers will give up if you are able to put on a good defense.

Keeping all this in mind, nothing replaces your intuition and common sense. If something feels wrong, it is wrong and don't be afraid to yell, kick, scream, and cause attention to come your way.

I agree with Natalie don't get a knife. It would be so easy for an attacker to take it from you.

I would def get some pepper spray. You could pick some up on ebay. If all else fails go for the crotch. A swift kick or a good knee could easily take a man down. Check and see if your gym or local community center has self defense classes.

I really need to get myself some pepper spray. Last week I was filling up my car when a creepy guy approached my car and started trying to ask me all these questions. I got really creeped out. Thankfully another car pulled up to the pump behind me and the guy left.

Always trust your instincts!

^ all of these suggestions are great.

The other big one I have learnt is never never never get in a car if someone is forcing you to... even by knife / gun point you have to be brave enough to resist. If he is going hurt / kill you, better he do it in a public place than drive you off to somewhere you might not be found.

Similarly if you are being forced to drive somewhere, crash your car as quickly as you can.

Everyone has such great suggestions. Keep in mind if you do get pepper spray or something similar, some states require you have to go through a training class and obtain a license. A friend of mine only had to just go get a license which was around $20. Good luck!

I got a pepper spray from fry's for $5. Not sure if it's good, but hopefully I don't need to find out. All the suggestions are great! I try to make my bf go with me anywhere that may be slightly more dangerous than usual, like getting gas at night.. etc.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I ordered pepper spray and a folding knife last night, as well as a keychain alarm. I'm keeping the folding knife at home, and I won't take it around with me.

I've been told that adrenalin can enable many men to withstand a kick to the groin - also, it can be hard to aim a good kick if you are grappling with someone. The advice to me was to scratch, bite and scream like a maniac if attacked. A swift punch or slap to the attacker's throat will actually cut of their air supply for a second and is totally debilitating.

Re: walking your dog, can you switch your schedule to early in the morning? I don't know if your area is safer at 5:00am than at 10:00pm, but perhaps you will feel safer?

I've been told that adrenalin can enable many men to withstand a kick to the groin - also, it can be hard to aim a good kick if you are grappling with someone. The advice to me was to scratch, bite and scream like a maniac if attacked. A swift punch or slap to the attacker's throat will actually cut of their air supply for a second and is totally debilitating.

Re: walking your dog, can you switch your schedule to early in the morning? I don't know if your area is safer at 5:00am than at 10:00pm, but perhaps you will feel safer?
I've been thinking about this actually... I probably would feel safer walking early in the morning than late at night, because there are actually more cars early in the morning. Where I live, there is insane traffic in the early morning because everyone leaves early to get to Honolulu. I think that is probably the safest bet. I just have such a hard time waking up early though, but at least I might not be so nervous all the time. :Push:

I've been thinking about this actually... I probably would feel safer walking early in the morning than late at night, because there are actually more cars early in the morning. Where I live, there is insane traffic in the early morning because everyone leaves early to get to Honolulu. I think that is probably the safest bet. I just have such a hard time waking up early though, but at least I might not be so nervous all the time. :Push:

LOL you and me both!

I think that feeling safer is a big part of appearing safer. I read somewhere once that many abductors/attackers almost have a sixth sense about their victims and they pick the most vulnerable looking girls to attack. For instance, in nightclubs, they look for the wallflower or the insanely drunk girl. On the street, they look for the skittish, jumpy, eyes-down, hunched shoulders girl. If you appear confident and as though you might put up a good fight, your chances of being left alone increase.

I'm sure that these are just examples and that there are lots of exceptions out there, but I found it to be really useful info. It's like bullies - they only tend to bully people where they know they can get away with it!

^Thanks for your advice! I know I definitely look nervous when I walk late at night. My dog is a medium sized dog, around 27 pounds, but he's definitely not huge enough to knock a guy down to defend me.

I can't wait to get my pepper spray and the other self-defense things I ordered. I think having those things will definitely make me feel more at ease. I watch way too many crime shows and CSI: Miami/Law & Order SVU. It's made me a total paranoid nutcase!