Pearl Necklace (Freshwater or Akoya) - Any Recommendation for online company?

Wow!
Where did you get them, may I ask and how long ago was it?
And what color are they? I'm finding that I'm very interested in the multicolored freshwaters.

It was a year ago...I don't know where they're from, my friend who was born in Beijing did the whole transaction for me because I'm a clueless white girl. I'm sorry I can't be more help! Mine are white but they had colored ones for cheaper.

I saw some that are even prettier than mine last week at a jeweler's in San Francisco. The cost was $300 for an 18" strand. They were at least 8.0mm (mine are more like 7.5mm) and they were even rounder than mine.

I'm sure you will find some lovely freshwater pearls there. I personally am not comfortable buying them online, because it's impossible to judge the luster.

Also, how do you say freshwater or freshadama in chinese? I know that a pearl is a zhenzhu but have no idea how to make distinctions between different types of pearls and a more specialized vocabulary would be helpful.
Thanks!

Freshadama is a term used by Pearl Paradise to describe the best of the best freshwater line they carry. Freshadama is not a term used industry-wide. Therefore, when you talk to US brick and mortar stores or China retailers, wholesalers, the term is not familiar to them. Besides, most US jewelry stores' sales associates know little about pearls. My local store refer to akoya as cultured pearls, but FW is not "cultured", which is incorrect. Majority of pearls we see on sale today are cultured (seeded, implanted, farmed, grown by man). The other small percentage is true natural pearls (pearls formed naturally by nature w/o man intervention). See the following 3 paragraphs from PP's website of Freshadama description:

"Freshadama pearls are the world's highest-quality freshwater pearls. When pearls are sold at a production level, they are separated into several different qualities. Most qualities are considered "necklace" quality. These pearls are sold as matched temporary strands. There is one quality, however, that is treated differently. These pearls are sold loose and undrilled individually. These are the pearls we use to create our freshadama line.

Our line of freshadama pearl jewelry features truly round freshwater pearls with less than 5% deviation from perfect spheres. They exhibit the finest luster with virtually no blemishing or spotting, and flashes of the rarest of pearl characteristics known as orient. Every freshadama pearl necklace and freshadama pearl bracelet is finished with a solid, 14-karat charm in the shape of a ‘P’. Our freshadama pearl earrings are set on medium-weight, 14-karat posts.

Our freshadama pearl line has been featured on The Ellen DeGeneres and The Tyra Bank's Show, as well as several industry publications including Pearl World Journal and Colored Stone Magazine."

Freshadama is a term used by Pearl Paradise to describe the best of the best freshwater line they carry. Freshadama is not a term used industry-wide. Therefore, when you talk to US brick and mortar stores or China retailers, wholesalers, the term is not familiar to them. Besides, most US jewelry stores' sales associates know little about pearls. My local store refer to akoya as cultured pearls, but FW is not "cultured", which is incorrect. Majority of pearls we see on sale today are cultured (seeded, implanted, farmed, grown by man). The other small percentage is true natural pearls (pearls formed naturally by nature w/o man intervention). See the following 3 paragraphs from PP's website of Freshadama description:

"Freshadama pearls are the world's highest-quality freshwater pearls. When pearls are sold at a production level, they are separated into several different qualities. Most qualities are considered "necklace" quality. These pearls are sold as matched temporary strands. There is one quality, however, that is treated differently. These pearls are sold loose and undrilled individually. These are the pearls we use to create our freshadama line.

Our line of freshadama pearl jewelry features truly round freshwater pearls with less than 5% deviation from perfect spheres. They exhibit the finest luster with virtually no blemishing or spotting, and flashes of the rarest of pearl characteristics known as orient. Every freshadama pearl necklace and freshadama pearl bracelet is finished with a solid, 14-karat charm in the shape of a ‘P’. Our freshadama pearl earrings are set on medium-weight, 14-karat posts.

Our freshadama pearl line has been featured on The Ellen DeGeneres and The Tyra Bank's Show, as well as several industry publications including Pearl World Journal and Colored Stone Magazine."

Ok, this helps a lot. I gather that you are saying that 'freshadama' is not a word I needto know unless I am shopping at Pearlparadise.com specifically, as it is just a term they use for their top quality freshwaters (probably knocking off the term Japanese 'hanadama' a little bit).

From what I understand, basically all pearls available nowadays are 'cultured', since the genuine pearl market-where the process wasn't started by man-- is just about non-existent since the pollution of the Persion gulf (and the older, genuine ones command impossible prices). Japanese Akoyas ruled the market for a long, long time, and since they come from salt water bodies, when the Chinese developed the ability to farm pearls, they were called -'freshwaters' in contrast. At first these freshwaters were easily distinguishable in quality from Akoyas, but this is no longer true in the very fine qualities, although even the best Chinese freshwaters still do cost less than the Akoyas. Also, I have heard (but don't know if this is true) that you can no longer just simply trust the term 'Akoya', from Japan, since deceptive business practices have started such a leaving a round bead in an oyster for a very short amount of time, just enough for the oyster to coat the bead, and calling this a 'pearl'. Which is why many people prefer to buy Akoyas from the reputable (but also extremely expensive) companies, the premier of which is Mikimoto.

I am leaving out any discussion of South Seas or Tahitians here, because I am not the market for these at this time, just simply wanting to get some really nice freshwaters, since I am going to China and preferably to get something a little different from what I already have (good quality older string of golden Akoyas and and 'nice' quality of black and white Chinese freshwaters, which doesn't make me quite happy).

Is there anything I need to know how to saythat's more specialized than, I want to look at pearls and then knowing how to bargain (which I can do fine)? Is there a special word I should know for 'freshwater'?

Thank all ladies so much for helping me out and please correct any misconceptions evident in what I wrote above about what I believe--I know some (or all) of it may be wrong!

You are going to be right in the nest of freshwater pearls production...Make sure you don't fall in the "tourist trap". In China they are very inexpensive, even the better qualities. When shopping, ask and look, but never look too interested in the ones you really like, it is when they'll take advantage. They know, language barrier or not/ Make "friend" with the seller. When you see one you like, walk away and say you'll think about it. They'll come at you like flies and lower prices. Good luck!

Thanks, Designer Homme.
I am not there on a tour but with a business group. We will be having meetings and they will take us as a group to the the main sites such as the Great Wall and the Forbidden City, but I have heard of no plans to take us shopping. This is why I am trying to do my own research.

I know that good quality is not cheap and just was wondering if you get a deal in china at all as opposed to such reputable internet sites as pearlpalace.com. I realize also that south seas and tahitians can't be bought as any kind of bargain in China but was wondering if in Beijing I might be able to get a good deal on the largest possible freshwaters (especially freshadamas.)
Any advice on this?
Also, how do you say freshwater or freshadama in chinese? I know that a pearl is a zhenzhu but have no idea how to make distinctions between different types of pearls and a more specialized vocabulary would be helpful.
Thanks!

I see, Well you definitely must go visit Great Wall & Forbidden City since you are going Beijing. I am sure your tour guide would gladly bring you go shopping if you ask he/she to, they get commission for all your purchase.

What i meant is if you are looking for spectacular quality & size, prices don't come cheap. If you looking something nice & mid range, you can get it with abit of bargaining, never pay what they ask no matter which country you going inorder to get best value. Anyway all are cultured pearls.

They also carry a very good face moisturiser cream made of pearl, ginseng & bio gold flakes, very effective work better than major cosmetic brand creams, i usually buy a dozen or 2 when i fly there. They usually give a good price when you buy more. With daily use, it will make your complexion radiant within weeks.

Buying Pearl there you can take your time to choose, see & touch, definitely better than buying online. Their cultured pearls are definitely genuine, price differ is due to the quality & size.

I have some awesome freshwater pearls from Beijing. Almost perfectly round, at least 8 mm, and nice nacre. Paid about $300 USD for a rope of them that strung to 36".

That is a good buy for almost perfectly round, 8mm with nice nacre morever it's 36". The one i bought for my mom is only 18'', white, round & almost perfectly even size cost me $1500 USD after a huge discount because my friend knows the manager. They look very nice when my mom wear it but if you inspect it closely they are not perfect. Another strand i bought is smaller size black pearl cost much lesser. Anyway my mom did'nt like the pearls, she rarely wear them instead she nagged me for awhile for being spendthrift. She prefer gemstones to pearls.

That is a good buy for almost perfectly round, 8mm with nice nacre morever it's 36". The one i bought for my mom is only 18'', white, round & almost perfectly even size cost me $1500 USD after a huge discount because my friend knows the manager.

I talked to my friend who bought the pearls for me in Beijing and she said i was mistaken, that mine were $300 each 18" strand and I bought 2 strands. I am sorry to confuse the thread.

Yours are probably much nicer than mine in some way -- maybe more round or thicker nacre. I am sure you got a great deal for them because of your connection to the manager. If a person knows pearls, they can see mine are not perfectly round, but they are not obviously "squished" like some freshwaters. They are definitely not as round as my Akoya pearls but much bigger and cheaper!

Also the prices of pearls fluctuate quite a bit in China. I am amazed by how good the quality of freshwater pearls is these days. Who would have thought it when we first saw the little "rice pearls" all those years ago?

BTW my mother is like yours -- she is only impressed by gemstones, not pearls.

Just got back from Beijing.

The Silk Market was a mish mash of stuff. From counterfeit (Polo, AF, etc - nothing super premium) to non branding clothing to cool souvenirs etc.

Pearls are on the 4th or 5th floor and the selection is IMMENSE. From cheap not perfectly round fresh waters to nice beautiful round ones. Great for gifting or making fun pearl necklaces to wear. As for quality pearls, I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge for those but if you get a chance, you gotta go there just for the fun of it. The selection really is immense.

Don't worry too much about the English issue. These guys deal with foreigners on a daily basis, whatever they lose in grammar, they make up with showing you a calculator with the prices typed in. Again, their English is really NOT bad at all. I was shocked when 1 girl asked me in PERFECT almost American accent English that she can give me her best price and that she had stuff I would like to show me. Hehe.

It's a fun walk. It's not seedy if you're not too serious over the whole place and atmosphere. Just go there with an open mind. Trust me, these Beijing sellers are much nicer than I expected...the ones in Shanghai are a lot meaner! Haha.

I'm going to Beijing in July.
I have some nice pearls but would like some more. I have been hearing that there are good freshwaters to be bought in Beijing, especially at somewhere called the Hongqiao pearl market? But would someone really get a better deal there than buying online at a place like pearlparadise.com?

P.S. I think I'm in interested in pink/peach or multicolor freshwaters, as big (in terms of mm as possible)

I've been to the pearl market you're talking about, so PM me if you'd like to talk more in detail. go up to the 4th floor. don't worry about your mandarin skills, they speak english well enough.

you can definitely get a very good deal on freshwater pearls there. you have to know what you're looking for, so you may want to educate yourself on pearl quality & grading before you go. you also need plenty of time to be able to look through everything & decide what you want. they have all colors & sizes...it's amazing!

Helllo!

Just been reading this post. Sorry I know it's about 8 years old but really want to revive it to see if there any new reputable online pearl sellers more specifically to australia. Looking to get a classic pearl necklace as a gift. Any one know of any good sites to recommend? Think I'm looking for high quality freshwater as they are the only ones in my budget.

If not in Australia anywhere else is good too.

Thanks

Helllo!

Just been reading this post. Sorry I know it's about 8 years old but really want to revive it to see if there any new reputable online pearl sellers more specifically to australia. Looking to get a classic pearl necklace as a gift. Any one know of any good sites to recommend? Think I'm looking for high quality freshwater as they are the only ones in my budget.

If not in Australia anywhere else is good too.

Thanks
I've ordered from Pear Paradise and I was very happy with their selection and service.