Paypal required me to fax identification documents???

LiYaH102

Jun 17, 2008
Hi all

Im new to ebay. Two days ago I received an email from Paypal wrote about some anti-money laundering laws require PayPal to confirm the identity of its customers whose accounts reach a specific transaction level. Then Paypal have placed a partial restriction on my account and ask me to fax them some documents:
1. a copy of my passport or driver license to verify the date of birth.

2. a copy of my utility bill or bank statement to verify the address.

And if I do not response in one month, Paypal will fully restricted my account.

Has anyone experienced it? Is it safe to fax my identification documents to Paypal? What is going on here? I can no longer send my payemnt via Paypal. What should I do then?

Any helps!! Pls!!!

If you log into PayPal, it will show up as an alert on the first page. This is how you will know it's not a scam.

It's no biggie, just fax or upload the documents and you'll be able to send and receive as much money as you want.

Sounds suspect, but that's interesting to hear that others have encountered this before. IA, log on to PayPal directly and not through any links in that email, and see if you encounter the same message/alert. Call them to double-check if you still feel insecure, but if it's reflected on PayPal's site itself, I guess it should be legit enough to proceed.

If the email is from Paypal you can also see that they are asking identification information by logging on to your account, the front paige will ask you to go to resolution centre and provide additional information (passport etc).

I have heard of them asking other people.
I personally would NEVER give paypal that kind of information. I wouldn't trust what they will do with it and i dont think they are on the same level as goverment /banking institution to even ask for it.