Paris shopping - 2 credit cards for 1 bag, is it doable?

NewBVfan

~Hermes lover~
O.G.
Jul 14, 2009
Hi,

I don't want my family to know how much I'm spending on one bag and I plan to use 2 (or 3) credit cards for one birkin when I go to Paris in Nov.

Has anyone done it before or does anyone know if H FSH allows it?

I know for sure that it is not possible in Japan. However, it can be done in Hong Kong.

Please please please help me cuz I need to plan my finances before my trip.

Zillion Thx!!

Yea, I'm guessing I can do it in the US.

I actually called FSH and the SA said yes, BUT I doubt if he understood my question correctly cuz I repeated like 3 times before he answered me...

Anyone knows about the situation in France?

it should be possible. i'm sure it's been done before, not everyone has sky high credit limits. If they really can't understand
then you could just hold out your two cards and say very nicely

L'addition... uhhh .....combinè les cartes possible? sil' vous plait?

i've done it before (non H) and they had to translate my french into their french but they understood ;)

Last edited:
it should be possible. i'm sure it's been done before, not everyone has sky high credit limits. If they really can't understand
then you could just hold out your two cards and say very nicely

L'addition... uhhh .....combinè les cartes possible? sil' vous plait?

i've done it before (non H) and they had to translate my french into their french but they understood ;)

It's not uncommon in Hong Kong and USA, but I know for sure that I can't do it in Japan (I asked). Hope that this will work in FSH then.

Thanks all for helping!

You could actually put money into your credit card account first. For example, if you credit limit is $10K, but you put $5K towards the card before you use it (assuming that you have zero debt), you would have an effective credit limit of $15K. This might be less of a hassle explaining why you have to split your purchase between cards. Of course, all this assumes you have zero debt on your card to begin with.

Reactions: faab89
^yes to what Roxane said plus call them in advance telling them that you're plannig a major purchase (when and where), the cc company that is. Otherwise they might refuse acceptance if the payment is atypical for you.

^yes to what Roxane said plus call them in advance telling them that you're plannig a major purchase (when and where), the cc company that is. Otherwise they might refuse acceptance if the payment is atypical for you.

-Good advice, especially if you will be using the CC in a different country; DH went on a trip from US to Europe and did not notify his CC company - he couldn't use the card, no purchases would go through.

The next time, he called ahead to CC company to notify them and all went well.

Usually my big purchases are at H or at the jewelry store so I always call in advance and have them put an override in the computer so that the purchase goes through. That way you avoid the embarrassment and hassle of calling the credit card company while you are at the store.

I'm sure FSH wouldn't mind splitting the payment between two cards for you. Money is money and I'm sure they just want to get paid and they want you to be a repeat customer so I don't see why not :biggrin: Good luck. Perhaps I will bump into you at FSH in September!