Paloma Picasso Thread

sosauce

Jan 27, 2021
I’m surprised there isn’t a thread for Tiffany designs by Paloma Picasso. I feel that, compared to Peretti and Schlumberger, Paloma doesn’t have as many creations. But I think she warrants her own thread.

Personally, I am a big fan of her graffiti love collection. I have the diamond love ring, in both white gold and rose gold. I alternate rings depending on what color metal I’m wearing, I used to want the pave love pendant as well, but thought it’d be too repetitive. I’m glad I didn’t get it, because I feel like that would be too much love. But I still randomly think about the pendant from time to time. I think her love design is also the most copied. I was at Saks a few weeks ago, and in one of the jewelry cases, there was a ring with love written in thin diamond script. It looked like a sister version of my love ring. Personally, I’m not a fan of the dainty look anymore. But I make an exception for the love line, because I think it’s very stylized, it has good presence vertically and horizontally, and it wouldn’t be possible to recreate Paloma’s handwriting with bigger stones.

Anyways, Paloma, daughter of Pablo Picasso, still has some designs that are in circulation: melody, loving heart, graffiti, olive leaf, and the studio and hexagon lines, which I think replaced the sugar stack collection. I’m hoping this can be a space where we can share her designs, both old and new. And that I can discover some new pieces from her that I haven’t seen before.

(As another side note, I felt that the new vine extension to the Victoria collection really cannibalized on Paloma’s olive leaf collection. The fact that the vine pieces draw from the same type of naturalistic, leaf motif. And that vine and olive are concurrently available for sale at Tiffany. To me, they fill a very similar aesthetic niche for botanical inspired jewelry. Even though the vine is available in platinum with larger diamonds, I feel it’s too similar to olive to warrant having its own pieces.)

8DC4D969-D67C-4DC0-9E06-51187A0C06E5.jpeg

I think there are Paloma posts scattered within other threads. Nice idea to start one! I really like the way you have styled your two Love rings.

Ahaha, thanks. I never actually where them like that. I just wanted to show that I have two of the same design. I got the rose gold first. The white gold ring is more yellow on the bottom now, alas.

I'm planning to buy the Loving Heart pendant (that looks like a flower or clover) this week! I'm in love with the design, but several versions of it have already been retired. Does anyone know if they're slowly retiring Paloma Picasso's stuff?

I'm planning to buy the Loving Heart pendant (that looks like a flower or clover) this week! I'm in love with the design, but several versions of it have already been retired. Does anyone know if they're slowly retiring Paloma Picasso's stuff?

I don’t suspect they’re retiring Picasso, because she’s been a Tiffany designer for a long time now. I think that’s something Paloma has more control over, based on some longstanding contract. I know that the sugar stack collection was retired, and was seemingly replaced with the studio collection. But I think that was probably more of a Paloma decision than a Tiffany decision.

I would think Paloma has a lot more control over her designs compared to Tiffany. I just base this off of Peretti, and how she exerted a lot of creative control over how her pieces would be displayed and all that. Tiffany does have a lot of heart designs though. Open heart, loving heart, return to Tiffany heart, diamond heart, key heart, charm heart, etc.

I don’t think loving heart will be leaving anytime soon, because it’s part of the larger graffiti collection, which is very popular. But as to the specific design of the four-heart clover, I can’t say. I actually didn’t know there were retired iterations of the clover. I know there are different versions of it, with diamond or pink sapphire, but I’ve never seen the previous versions of the loving heart clover. I think the clover fits in with the double loving heart.

Anyway, to answer the larger question. I think Paloma is here to stay. And if she left, I think that would be more of a Paloma-side decision.

Reactions: etudes
I don’t suspect they’re retiring Picasso, because she’s been a Tiffany designer for a long time now. I think that’s something Paloma has more control over, based on some longstanding contract. I know that the sugar stack collection was retired, and was seemingly replaced with the studio collection. But I think that was probably more of a Paloma decision than a Tiffany decision.

I would think Paloma has a lot more control over her designs compared to Tiffany. I just base this off of Peretti, and how she exerted a lot of creative control over how her pieces would be displayed and all that. Tiffany does have a lot of heart designs though. Open heart, loving heart, return to Tiffany heart, diamond heart, key heart, charm heart, etc.

I don’t think loving heart will be leaving anytime soon, because it’s part of the larger graffiti collection, which is very popular. But as to the specific design of the four-heart clover, I can’t say. I actually didn’t know there were retired iterations of the clover. I know there are different versions of it, with diamond or pink sapphire, but I’ve never seen the previous versions of the loving heart clover. I think the clover fits in with the double loving heart.

Anyway, to answer the larger question. I think Paloma is here to stay. And if she left, I think that would be more of a Paloma-side decision.
I am rather new to Tiffany so I sincerely appreciate knowing the history of their designer collections. Thank you so much for sharing that. That's such a relief! I really hope they don't retire Paloma Picasso's designs anytime soon and do hope the Loving Heart collection stays for a while.

As for the Loving Heart four-heart clover pendant, yes, they retired the SS version with a diamond (as confirmed by their CS team). It appears they retired the rose gold versions and sapphire options too. (I didn't even know they had pink sapphire versions! It is very hard to find info on this particular style.) The SS version without a diamond and the YG version with a diamond are the only 2 options that they have now.

Reactions: sosauce
I am rather new to Tiffany so I sincerely appreciate knowing the history of their designer collections. Thank you so much for sharing that. That's such a relief! I really hope they don't retire Paloma Picasso's designs anytime soon and do hope the Loving Heart collection stays for a while.

As for the Loving Heart four-heart clover pendant, yes, they retired the SS version with a diamond (as confirmed by their CS team). It appears they retired the rose gold versions and sapphire options too. (I didn't even know they had pink sapphire versions! It is very hard to find info on this particular style.) The SS version without a diamond and the YG version with a diamond are the only 2 options that they have now.

Oh, maybe I have my pieces confused. The double loving heart came with a pink sapphire. I feel like the clover did, too, but I could be mistaken. I did a search for it, but couldn’t find anything. However, I did discover a loving heart snowflake design that was retired.

Some other Picasso designs that have been retired include the dove, the peace sign, luce, and Venezia.

Reactions: TinaandCo
Oh, maybe I have my pieces confused. The double loving heart came with a pink sapphire. I feel like the clover did, too, but I could be mistaken. I did a search for it, but couldn’t find anything. However, I did discover a loving heart snowflake design that was retired.

Some other Picasso designs that have been retired include the dove, the peace sign, luce, and Venezia.
Ah, thank you! Time for me to do some digging and look at my next dream Tiffany piece... :smile:

How it would be nice to have Tiffany's website show retired designs so we could have an easily accessible category to reference.

Anyhoo, I ordered the Loving Heart clover pendant this weekend and am excited to receive it!

Reactions: razl62
Ah, thank you! Time for me to do some digging and look at my next dream Tiffany piece... :smile:

How it would be nice to have Tiffany's website show retired designs so we could have an easily accessible category to reference.

Anyhoo, I ordered the Loving Heart clover pendant this weekend and am excited to receive it!
I’m looking to purchase that specific Loving Heart Clover necklace too for my mom!! Any chance you can post photos of it/it on? Thank you :smile:

I’m looking to purchase that specific Loving Heart Clover necklace too for my mom!! Any chance you can post photos of it/it on? Thank you :smile:
Apologies for the delay - I actually just picked it up from the store today. I'm not wearing a top with the right neckline for it today, but I did snap a quick pic of it on my table for now. Here you go! :smile:

IMG_7716.jpg

Wow!! Thank you so much for your reply, is this the sterling silver version? It’s very gorgeous. I ended up getting the yellow gold version for my mom. Added a pic for fun ❤️View attachment 5701933
Thank you. Yes, it is the sterling silver version!

Yours is absolutely gorgeous as well! Thank you for sharing a photo of it. I just love the diamond in the centre of it. I was very tempted to get the YG version, but YG does not suit me well. I would have picked up a SS or platinum version with a diamond instantly!

I hope your mom loves it! :heart:

Reactions: orbitallee
Thank you. Yes, it is the sterling silver version!

Yours is absolutely gorgeous as well! Thank you for sharing a photo of it. I just love the diamond in the centre of it. I was very tempted to get the YG version, but YG does not suit me well. I would have picked up a SS or platinum version with a diamond instantly!

I hope your mom loves it! :heart:
It’s so pretty, I might just get the sterling silver version for myself one day!! Seems like a perfect daily wear piece.

Thank you, I’m sure she’ll like it! It’ll be her very first Tiffany piece. I have yet to get my own first piece haha.

You’re very welcome! I wish this piece with the diamond came in SS, WG, or Platinum, but it doesn’t I think I saw some second-hand SS ones with the diamond in the center (photo attached). Wonder if they’ll bring that back/make more in other metals.

7C9DCDAE-87AB-4C4C-852B-492D64358D47.png

It’s so pretty, I might just get the sterling silver version for myself one day!! Seems like a perfect daily wear piece.

Thank you, I’m sure she’ll like it! It’ll be her very first Tiffany piece. I have yet to get my own first piece haha.

You’re very welcome! I wish this piece with the diamond came in SS, WG, or Platinum, but it doesn’t I think I saw some second-hand SS ones with the diamond in the center (photo attached). Wonder if they’ll bring that back/make more in other metals.
Yes, that's exactly why I wanted this design, it's a great daily wear piece! I do hope you find the perfect piece to be your very Tiffany piece someday too!

I so wish that the diamond version was still available in a silvery metal as well. Yes, the SS with the diamond is currently retired, as is the RG version. I'm not sure if they plan to bring them back, but I sure hope they do!

Reactions: orbitallee