Overheard Hermès

At the Haneda airport duty free Hermes… I asked (in English) if there were any bags or SLGs available today - a SA says no.

Then as I was just browsing around, I overheard a woman just directly ask a different SA (in Chinese) how much the Herbag was. The Herbag was just one that was on the shelf labeled as “display only”. The SA gave the amount in JPY and seemed ready to sell it to her but the woman then said she wants it in black and the SA replied that the black one was already sold. The woman then just left the store.

🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: iseebearbears
In 2023 I was told that at many stores that store cannot sell display models because there is a special crew who come and bring items and arrange displays and take old items with them. But in 2022 I remember at one of the stores in Nice, France I saw a Garden Party on display but I was just browsing. Didn’t ask about anything. 30 mins later I returned to the store asking price of the bag, but it was already sold and display was empty. So I’m not sure if this rule only for quota bags. Although in 2023 at London store they didn’t even sell me double Calvi from display saying it’s for display only
I am convinced the In The Loop bag I purchased a few weeks ago is the same one that had been on display (and that I had tried on) over summer. No evidence of course, just a feeling/assumption. (UK store)

To keep on track, on my last visit I overheard/saw a man looking at a Kelly and talking to the SM about what specs his wife would want. He was so knowledgeable and showing genuine interest, I thought it was lovely the time and care he was taking over it.

Last edited:
I was shopping FJ at a Hermès boutique I was visiting, and caught this conversation...

Young-ish girl/woman (casually goes up to the bag display case, totally clueless): Oh so these are the bags?

SA: yes, these are them.

Girl (pointing): Oh, so what’s that one called?

SA: That’s a Garden Party.

Girl: What’s that one called?

SA: That’s the Picotin.

Girl (in a silly “you have NO CLUE you are in Hermès do you?” response): Haha, oh…Picoteeeeeen. And what’s that one called?

SA: That’s a Lindy. Size 30, just like the first one.

Girl: And your other bags, they are the Birkin and Kelly---where are they?

SA: Oh, I think you want a Garden Party 30.

Girl (as her boyfriend/hubby walks over and joins her): So no hope for a Birkin?

SA (in an annoyed but nervously smiling response): Haha, no there’s a waitlist for those! So we can start your quest for the Garden Party…

DH was sitting down playing with his phone, but looked up when he heard that---and we both looked at each other & silently cracked up! That poor girl was so clueless and lost. I think she just thanked the SA and went on her merry way. LOL

A group of shoppers: we want a bag
SA: have you shopped here before? Shoppers: Yes, we have a sales person.
SA: it will be best for you to continue shopping them.

2 minutes later another group of shoppers

Shoppers: we want a bag
SA: it will be best for you to continue shopping wirh them.

Another 2 minutes and another group… you guessed it!

Shoppers: we want a bag
SA: it will be best for you to continue shopping with them.

At NBS this week

A gentleman comes to check in & is asked what department he is interested in.

“Leather, I want to buy a bag”

Greeter: I’m afraid the queue is fully booked.

“When will it be open again?”

Greeter: There are 5 people in front of you. If you want to speak to someone in our leather department you can come back in 45 mins to an hour.

“Oh great! At least you can buy a bag here. At home they won’t even sell them to you! You have to spend a load of money first! I need one for my wife, she likes those special bags you do.”

Wasn’t quite sure if this man was about to be incredibly disappointed once he finally got to the leather team or whether the *husbands at hermes* magic was going to work for him!

At the checkout counter waiting for my boxes to be ribboned.

Lady at the register next to me: so I think I’m going to need to break this up over more than one card….like, sevvvveral cards…
Her SA: (nervous giggle) that’s fine, it happens all the time. No worries! ….so your total for today is $247,853.

My face: 😳

I had to (subtly, I hope) glance over to make sure my ears heard correctly, and sure enough the lcd display said $247,… Then I gave my SA a sympathetic look as they finished wrapping up my paltry $14k purchase :lol:
...imagine me, the one-twilly-buyer, behind @acrowcounted: :shocked:

:lol:

I was shopping FJ at a Hermès boutique I was visiting, and caught this conversation...

Young-ish girl/woman (casually goes up to the bag display case, totally clueless): Oh so these are the bags?

SA: yes, these are them.

Girl (pointing): Oh, so what’s that one called?

SA: That’s a Garden Party.

Girl: What’s that one called?

SA: That’s the Picotin.

Girl (in a silly “you have NO CLUE you are in Hermès do you?” response): Haha, oh…Picoteeeeeen. And what’s that one called?

SA: That’s a Lindy. Size 30, just like the first one.

Girl: And your other bags, they are the Birkin and Kelly---where are they?

SA: Oh, I think you want a Garden Party 30.

Girl (as her boyfriend/hubby walks over and joins her): So no hope for a Birkin?

SA (in an annoyed but nervously smiling response): Haha, no there’s a waitlist for those! So we can start your quest for the Garden Party…

DH was sitting down playing with his phone, but looked up when he heard that---and we both looked at each other & silently cracked up! That poor girl was so clueless and lost. I think she just thanked the SA and went on her merry way. LOL
(this happened simultaneously as the above…so there was a little old lady and her husband sitting at the table waiting for her SA to bring them back a set of mugs from the stock room).

Her SA finally returns…

Lady: What’s that bag in the middle?

SA: oh that’s the Kelly Depeches.

Lady (turns to poor husband): Oh I love that dear.

Lady (turns to SA): I want one of those; can you go get one of those from the back?

SA: I am sorry that's for display only; we don’t usually get them in or get much interest in them because they mark them as men’s bag.

Lady: Oh that’s stupid of Hermes; I would gladly buy one.

Lady: Well what do they expect people to do?

SA: Sorry, many ladies want Picotins and Evelynes nowadays. But I can definitely order you a Depeches if you’d like.

Lady: Oh Evelynes? I got a lot of those things; I gave most of them to my grandkids.

SA: smiles and continues to unbox the 2 cute little mugs.

Lady: So what was that other lady saying about the Birkin? Something about a list. Can I get one of those?

SA: Oh, she meant you have to be put on a waitlist in order to buy one of those bags.

Lady (in innocent old lady voice): What?? I have to beg you to buy a bag nowadays; and I have to wait?? Hell, I’ll be dead before my times comes up!

At that point, DH and I were ROFL! It was so cute and so funny all at the same time. I told him “I absolutely HAVE TO post this in the Overheard Hermes section!"

(this happened simultaneously as the above…so there was a little old lady and her husband sitting at the table waiting for her SA to bring them back a set of mugs from the stock room).

Her SA finally returns…

Lady: What’s that bag in the middle?

SA: oh that’s the Kelly Depeches.

Lady (turns to poor husband): Oh I love that dear.

Lady (turns to SA): I want one of those; can you go get one of those from the back?

SA: I am sorry that's for display only; we don’t usually get them in or get much interest in them because they mark them as men’s bag.

Lady: Oh that’s stupid of Hermes; I would gladly buy one.

Lady: Well what do they expect people to do?

SA: Sorry, many ladies want Picotins and Evelynes nowadays. But I can definitely order you a Depeches if you’d like.

Lady: Oh Evelynes? I got a lot of those things; I gave most of them to my grandkids.

SA: smiles and continues to unbox the 2 cute little mugs.

Lady: So what was that other lady saying about the Birkin? Something about a list. Can I get one of those?

SA: Oh, she meant you have to be put on a waitlist in order to buy one of those bags.

Lady (in innocent old lady voice): What?? I have to beg you to buy a bag nowadays; and I have to wait?? Hell, I’ll be dead before my times comes up!

At that point, DH and I were ROFL! It was so cute and so funny all at the same time. I told him “I absolutely HAVE TO post this in the Overheard Hermes section!"
This lady should get her Birkin fast!!!!! Fingers crossed for her:flowers::angel::heart:

Lady trying on the jumping boots in Paris: “But how do people even walk in these??”
SA: “Madame these are for walking from the taxi to the restaurant, not for … walking
or as the older people in the South call them- "sittin' shoes"...

(because that's about all you can do in them!) :biggrin:
In chicago it’s Valet shoes. You walk from the valet to inside the restaurant

Lady trying on the jumping boots in Paris: “But how do people even walk in these??”
SA: “Madame these are for walking from the taxi to the restaurant, not for … walking

or as the older people in the South call them- "sittin' shoes"...

(because that's about all you can do in them!) :biggrin:

In chicago it’s Valet shoes. You walk from the valet to inside the restaurant
This is hilarious and true for a pair of beautiful dainty crystal heels. But the Jumping Boots? Come on! :lol:

This was last Wednesday in one of the boutiques in Amsterdam. A lady and her husband walked in. She wore a grey Birkin 30
"Hi we were in London and saw this Constance wallet. We would like to purchase that one."
Sa: "I'm sorry we don't have any in stock. Have you shopped with us before? I can make a notification?"
Lady: "Ofcourse, everything in my handbag is bought from Hermes. This bag and wallet."
Sa: "Lovely, can I have your name I will pull up your profile."
Lady gives her information. SA puts the details in her handheld.
SA: "I'm sorry I must have heard it wrong. I can't find you in our systems." Lady fills in her information on the handheld.
SA: "What is the last time you have shopped with us?"
Lady: "Ehm about 4-5 years ago. It must have. I bought so many things. I must have a profile with you."
SA: I'm sorry we don't have the information stored that long. I can try and ask our manager to look up your profile in the main computer if that's okay with you?
Lady: "That can't be. I'm a good customer. I've spent so much for this bag and all it contents."
They walked out........

The SA saw me chuckling and rolled her eyes.

Last edited:
This was last Wednesday in one of the boutiques in Amsterdam. A lady and her husband walked in. She wore a grey Birkin 30
"Hi we were in London and saw this Constance wallet. We would like to purchase that one."
Sa: "I'm sorry we don't have any in stock. Have you shopped with us before? I can make a notification?"
Lady: "Ofcourse, everything in my handbag is bought from Hermes. This bag and wallet."
Sa: "Lovely, can I have your name I will pull up your profile."
Lady gives her information. SA puts the details in her handheld.
SA: "I'm sorry I must have heard it wrong. I can't find you in our systems." Lady fills in her information on the handheld.
SA: "What is the last time you have shopped with us?"
Lady: "Ehm about 4-5 years ago. It must have. I bought so many things. I must have a profile with you."
SA: I'm sorry we don't have the information stored that long. I can try and ask our manager to look up your profile in the main computer if that's okay with you?
Lady: "That can't be. I'm a good customer. I've spent so much for this bag and all it contents."
They walked out........

The SA saw me chuckling and rolled her eyes.
Sorry, I don’t get it. Was the customer lying or does the purchase history get deleted after a few years?