Outlet Special Mitzy Hobo - thoughts?

Onebagtoomany

O.G.
Apr 16, 2011
I have just bought an oak version of one of these in the medium size and wondered how others have found them? I had read a few worrying comments on the forum about the buffalo leather used on the outlet versions, which nearly put me off, but decided to buy one anyway on the basis I could return it and I'm so glad I did! I took a while to warm to the Mitzy style but now I have her I just :heart: her :love: The leather is so squashy and has a nice grain to it and while originally I was set on a pebbled leather one I actually think the buffalo leather really suits this style, as opposed to Alexa which I am not personally keen on. I may have been lucky as she is not 'orangey' and the leather still feels quite thick and substantial. I'm also glad I went for the medium size despite being a big bag person normally as there is tons of room in the medium for all my stuff and another half bag spare!

After trying to conceal my purchase from my OH he actually found me out :lol: but instead of giving me the usual line of 'oh no not another bag' he actually really likes Mitzy and prefers her to the Somerset hobo which I am trying to rehome.

I just thought I would give my opinion on this version of Mitzy and the leather in case anyone else was thinking about buying one from the outlets, as I know there have been some negative comments/reviews on here. I would love to know how other owners of outlet Mitzys have found them and how the buffalo leather stands up over time?

Saw one in Oak at Shepton Mallet last Saturday and was really seriously tempted. I picked it up and put it down a couple of times. If I hadn't been set on a Bays it would have come home with me. Was it the one you bought?

Lovely looking bag and quality was fine ( wasn't impressed by the Roxys though).

Hi Amanita, I don't blame you for choosing your beautiful Bays - it's gorgeous! Unfortunately I don't live close to any of the outlets so bought my Mitzy over the phone from Shepton Mallet, but I did get the SA to check it thoroughly for me and give me some specifics about the shade (so that I didn't get an orangey one!) and the thickness of the leather - she probably thought I was nuts! :nuts: It may well have been the one you saw or perhaps they just have a good batch in?

It's funny you say that about the Roxys as I have lusted after one for ages and was considering buying an outlet version now that they are making them again, but apparently the leather is a lot thinner on these ones so I am going to hold out for a nice NVT preloved one.

?

It's funny you say that about the Roxys as I have lusted after one for ages and was considering buying an outlet version now that they are making them again, but apparently the leather is a lot thinner on these ones so I am going to hold out for a nice NVT preloved one.

I have a Darwin Roxy and the quality is nowhere near the same. The new ones seem an awful lot lighter.

My daughter wants one ( keeps trying to "borrow" mine!) so I've been looking out for one for her but I wasn't going to buy one of those I saw so I'll be joining you looking on the pre-owned market. It's just a shame there are so many fakes out there.

Glad the Mitzy went to a good home :biggrin:

I keep looking for a preowned one but the very few I have seen at reasonable price are not in good condition. I realised I typed NVT by mistake - it is that leather that is lighter on the current crop of Roxys isn't it and the Darwin that I should be looking for on a preowned one? I hadn't yet discovered Mulberry when the Roxys first came out and don't know an awful lot about the different leather types. I hope you manage to find a nice one for your daughter! :smile:

For me personally the leather on the new outlet special purchases isnt as good so unless I can see the bag in person I avoid- and tbh the ones I have seen in person I have avoided too- sorry but Im totally with Ellie on this and wouldnt splash my hard earned cash on them

I guess it's all a matter of preference - I still would like to get a black version of the large Mitzy hobo in pebbled leather but I think the buffalo leather really suits the oak version now that I have it. Personally, although I know the Alexa is very popular and I am in the minority saying this, one of the things that puts me off it - ironically - is the fact that it is made in buffalo leather and I don't think it looks like it is worth £700+. I have seen many oak Alexas at full retail price in stores (i.e. not outlet specials) that look cheap and nasty with shiny orangey leather so I don't necessarily think the outlets are to blame for their versions, just a general quality control problem within Mulberry which should be addressed I guess.

I think for £315 I got a good deal and she will wear well. I certainly won't worry about the leather when it rains in the same way that I do when I carry my oak EW Bays in NVT leather!