Ostrich: Is there a difference between Chestnut and Cognac

Goldenbelle

Oct 17, 2022
I was wondering, if there is indeed a colour difference between these two colours. Often, I see resellers / vintage shops using both of them in their descriptions, sometimes interchangeable it seems. To my eye chestnut seems to be a lighter, less reddish brown than cognac but it could also be differences in different production patches. At the moment, there seems only cognac to be in Production, as far as I know.

Happy to get any insights ☺️!

I was wondering, if there is indeed a colour difference between these two colours. Often, I see resellers / vintage shops using both of them in their descriptions, sometimes interchangeable it seems. To my eye chestnut seems to be a lighter, less reddish brown than cognac but it could also be differences in different production patches. At the moment, there seems only cognac to be in Production, as far as I know.

Marron fonce (dark chestnut) is officially a mid-brown

Cognac is more of a tan.

If someone has used the English word 'chestnut' it could be purely descriptive

Hi! Just a correction— there indeed was a colour called ‘Chestnut’ for ostrich and it was different than Cognac and Marrón Foncé in ostrich. Now, whether the resellers/vintage sellers are correctly identifying this colour… I couldn’t tell you.

Chestnut was an old colour, discontinued before the 2000s and mostly available in the 1990s and earlier.;)