OPI Gelcolor

I'm tempted to change my almond nails to coffin this time around too. I'm just worried they would break easier (for some reason the more square shapes always do on me).

My light colors always stain and I haven't found a way around it so far. Here's to hoping!

The 3 coats of Bubble Bath didn't stain this time around - it got a little darker but no staining. The Funny Bunny stained a little. I find Tiramisu for Two stains a lot for some reason.

That's interesting because I'm the opposite. I love the shape of almond nails but they break on me almost immediately. I've been doing only gel since December and I haven't had a single break. Maybe I should try again.

My almond/stiletto used to split ALL the time so I started getting gel overlay I get refilled very 6-8 weeks and no splitting at all.

I bought Do You Take Lei Away so I'm going in for a change on Wednesday (3 week mark) and I haven't decided on keeping them like this or going coffin shaped.

That's interesting because I'm the opposite. I love the shape of almond nails but they break on me almost immediately. I've been doing only gel since December and I haven't had a single break. Maybe I should try again.

The 3 coats of Bubble Bath didn't stain this time around - it got a little darker but no staining. The Funny Bunny stained a little. I find Tiramisu for Two stains a lot for some reason.

My almond/stiletto used to split ALL the time so I started getting gel overlay I get refilled very 6-8 weeks and no splitting at all.

I bought Do You Take Lei Away so I'm going in for a change on Wednesday (3 week mark) and I haven't decided on keeping them like this or going coffin shaped.

Maybe the issue is Tiramisu - I'll change it up next time. That's the neutral I've been using the last few times.

I probably should have mentioned that I do get the gel overlays, too! My weak "real" nails wouldn't even stand up to regular gel polish and filing if I didn't. I guess I assumed that was the only way everyone was able to have almond or stiletto nails!

So, to correct my previous post: my gel overlays with gel polish crack and break less when they are almond or stiletto shaped than when they are more square. I do gel over gel because I can't be trusted not to bang the polish off before I leave the salon. Sorry for the confusion! :blush:

Maybe the issue is Tiramisu - I'll change it up next time. That's the neutral I've been using the last few times.

I probably should have mentioned that I do get the gel overlays, too! My weak "real" nails wouldn't even stand up to regular gel polish and filing if I didn't. I guess I assumed that was the only way everyone was able to have almond or stiletto nails!

So, to correct my previous post: my gel overlays with gel polish crack and break less when they are almond or stiletto shaped than when they are more square. I do gel over gel because I can't be trusted not to bang the polish off before I leave the salon. Sorry for the confusion! :blush:

So I believe the staining is because of the top coat. My nail tech used to use the OPI Gelcolor topcoat and it would stain like a week in. She switched the last time around to the Bio Seaweed No Wipe top coat and NO staining whatsoever on the lighter polishes. I wore Do You Take Lei Away for over 2 weeks without a stain.

Not sure if you are referring to color change, fading or actually staining by other substances. Some light colors and pinks will fade or change colors. Some people have found this to be related to exposure to things like sun, chlorine or seawater or sunscreen but I think some pigments are just unstable in gel. I personally haven't found a way to prevent it.

I have found that the gel polish can actually be stained by things like the dye on new blue jeans/clothes, as said above. I have had new shoes do this to my toenails as well with both gels and RNP.

Curry will also stain my gel polish. I love curries so I have to be very careful not to get it on my hands when I eat it. Even a tiny bit of curry might ruin a gel manicure, especially a light color. I usually can't get it off so I usually end up putting RNP over the gel to cover it up when that happens.

Some dark or bright colored RNP's stain light colored gel polish when used over gel then removed. For some reason the staining is never uniform but tends to be patchy. I usually end up covering it up again with more RNP. Or buffing the gel and adding a new coat of Gelcolor and topcoat. Or removing the gel altogether.

I bought two gel polishes from the OPI Kerry Washington collection. I got Liv in the Grey and Suzi - the First Lady of Nails. The latter I'm hoping is the perfect camo/olive green for fall. I'm getting my nails done this Friday with it and I'm super excited.