Once you buy H bags do you ever go back?

Hi everyone. I am a long time visitor of this forum, but I have never posted anything. Out of all the threads here I have chosen this one as I have some weird thoughts now.

I got rid of my non-designer bags, some of them were too worn out so I just disposed of them, others were passed on to relatives. I didn't mind going with no bag at all for some time (I had a baby last year) and I bought only an LV Pochette Felicie and then a Longchamp tote. When I was back to work I thought it was time to grow up and get a full-size designer bag at last.... Besides, I consider carrying nylon totes to my office to be bad form.

Despite H being ‘slightly’ out of my range, I still admire this brand and well, the only bag I want is an H, whatever it may be... I know it's weird to start my journey at H and it may be some years until I buy one, but in the long run I could save money. I don't like Chanel designs and find their SAs unnecessarily arrogant, I like LV as a brand but they don't have any suitable designs at the moment. I definitely feel like skipping all the usual 'graduates' brands (I really don't want to sound offensive to anyone here. I am not the youngest person at my workplace (31 y.o) and think that I have earned a more expensive bag for myself!).

Yesterday was my first visit to H that resulted in a purchase. I bought scarf and an enamel bracelet. This is exactly what I had dreamed of and I love my purchases a lot.

There are so many amazing things there, I see why H is sooo addictive! Quite unexpectedly I liked the Virevolte bag, which is 100 times better in person than on the website pictures. There was also another mysterious bag that I liked but I decided to focus on what I could afford now and didn’t ask what it was…

I just wanted to share this (sorry for the long post!) and would love to hear any thoughts on my situation...
You do you and carry what you love. As long as you aren't putting yourself into harmful situations like debt you cannot afford or impacting your retirement savings in a way that is not recoverable, it's good to inject enjoyment into life for yourself (in responsible manners!). These are things you should see and wear in ways that make you happy.

You do you and carry what you love. As long as you aren't putting yourself into harmful situations like debt you cannot afford or impacting your retirement savings in a way that is not recoverable, it's good to inject enjoyment into life for yourself (in responsible manners!). These are things you should see and wear in ways that make you happy.
Thank you. I certainly won't do anything crazy to own a bag. That's it - you just have to allow yourself to get one...

interestingly, while I love H, it is more the aesthetic and the concept - so I recently got a similar feeling with a new and much much more affordable brand (the Polene Numero Un gives me literally the same happy feeling I get when I look at the H Kelly), and so I don't mind diversifying. I have to say it is timelessness, uniqueness and quality that draw to me brands - for instance no brand does resin edges like H, so when I look at a xx branded item full price (even LV) and I see thick resin edges, I just can't spend thousands, knowing that I get a vintage H with much better quality. it inevitably means that I don't buy any trend items unless I find them heavily discounted but just as well.

I think I started buying Hermès at a point where I already had about 25 or 30 other high end designer bags in my collection, including ~12 chanel bags, so I was already at a point where most of my “needs” were covered. I have bought two or three chanel bags since I I started buying H, but I definitely do find myself focusing more on H than on other brands. This is partly because I like to buy H from the boutique, so I also have to make a lot of miscellaneous purchases to be offered a bag, which really eats into my bag budget! H bags are also at a much higher price point, so I’ve been buying two/three H bags a year rather than four or five bags from other brands.

Having said that, I think the nature of the H game will make it necessary to branch out from time to time. For example, I really want a navy blue clutch - while I’ve told my H SA that I would love a kelly cut or pochette in a darker blue, I know it could realistically be months or even years before I get offered one... so I’ve decided to buy a navy blue BV knot. It’s a style that I’m happy with and that’s easily available at a great price point - so why not??

I held out against H for years, seeing only the Kellys and the Birkins, and always wanting a shoulder bag. But then I found Lindy, and it's all over for those other companies. I want the Lindy 34 in every conceivable color!

It's good to find a great brand, but when you actually find YOUR bag, nothing can be better

I prefer H but still carry and would buy a few others. Especially certain vintage French brands, e.g. Dofan and Koret, have amazing quality bags from the 50s and 60s. It’s definitely a look though and only works if you enjoy that vintage vibe.

For bags I don’t mind having to set down on the floor or get completely rained on with I like some of the simpler styles from Chloé in addition to vintage brands.

My biggest issue with new bags is that so many of even the premier brands have certain bags made in China. One of the many many reasons I love H.

I thought Koret was American, no?

Look out for discontinued model vintage H bags too, they ca be surprisingly reasonable.

I started with coach, then LV’s then when I went to Paris, I bought a Chanel woc. Few months after, I discovered Hermes, regretting why I didn’t buy an Hermes bag. After Five long years of dreaming about getting a Birkin, I went to Paris again to try my luck. With luck on my side I got my dream birkin in Paris, few days after my birthday. They told me to sell my LV’s, but I refused to do so. I’m keeping my LV’s, all of them! I have a daughter who, I hope will appreciate them when she grows up.

I started with coach, then LV’s then when I went to Paris, I bought a Chanel woc. Few months after, I discovered Hermes, regretting why I didn’t buy an Hermes bag. After Five long years of dreaming about getting a Birkin, I went to Paris again to try my luck. With luck on my side I got my dream birkin in Paris, few days after my birthday. They told me to sell my LV’s, but I refused to do so. I’m keeping my LV’s, all of them! I have a daughter who, I hope will appreciate them when she grows up.
Congrats on your birkin in Paris!
I have a 6 yr old daughter and I have decided not to keep any bags for her since there is no guarantee what she will like as she grows up and with my luck she'll want my h bags lol! I am almost done selling all the bags I don't use, luckily I got into H at a fairly young age and did not have many other brands.
I find it really hard to buy and use non h bags. The H bag styles I have suit my lifestyle and needs so well I don't feel need to look at other brands.

This is a really interesting thread for me. As a person who's comfort zone is LV (LV was my first designer bag, contemporary or premier), but dabbles in other brands who's looking to buy her first Hermes leather good, I'm slightly apprehensive to tumble down the Hermes rabbit hole.

I have a specific style for which Hermes does not release designs consistently, but am worried that other bags won't feel "it" to me because they're not Hermes. I just don't know if I'm ready to make that transition yet.

I have amassed a pretty fabulous H collection and have difficulty parting with my bags, but I rarely use my Hermès these days. I still look at bags and accessories, but don’t pull the trigger very often anymore. If anything, I probably wear my belts.

My Bottega Veneta bags get the most wear these days. Also some midlevel cross-bodies.

I work for a nonprofit and spend most of my time volunteering. It wouldn’t be appropriate to wear Hermès. My lifestyle has changed over the years; both professionally and personally. Hermès just doesn’t have the same place in my life that it used to.