Omg so awkward!!!! Coworker has fake iphone cover

Keepallboi

O.G.
May 12, 2011
So I come to work today, and my coworker who works right beside me, has a fake iPhone cover. I'm not one to say anything and I would leave well enough alone and not engage in any way. I wouldn't ask about it, I wouldn't try and find out where he bought it or anything. I would just go about my day. The awkward thing was he showed it to me as soon as he got to work and was like "look!! My phone cover matches your bag...kinda" (fake iPhone cover is mono and the kind that clips onto the phone only covering the back, and all my bags are damier and damier accessories). I just said "oh ok...uh nice?!?!?" didn't know what to say. Was so awkward.

In my head I was thinking "ya they're kinda similar but different patterns (mono vs damier) and your's is fake and all my **** is real!!" but I would never be rude and call him out on it and I don't want to start **** with someone I work with. But man was it awkward !!!!

Some people dont see a difference between real and fake...they say it looks the same so why spend money on the real deal...they dont have a love for designer things like we do. At least we k now all our stuff is real :smile:

Yeah that can be awkward. I just don't acknowledge comments like that. I worked with a girl who carried a fake Speedy and another worker commented that we had the same bag. But my friend told her that hers was fake and mine was real.

Good for you for not embarassing him! That is a very awkward situation and you handled yourself professionally. Some people really do not covet authenticity as we do here on tpf. To each his own I guess.....

My sister has a ebene nf mm and one of her coworkers has a fake one that she was proud to show off b/c she had saved money buying the exact bag as my sisters. My sister didn't embarass her at all but the weird thing is, her coworker carries authentic bags as well :shrugs:

benswife2007 said:
Some people dont see a difference between real and fake...they say it looks the same so why spend money on the real deal...they dont have a love for designer things like we do. At least we k now all our stuff is real :smile:

Shoebaglady said:
Good for you for not embarassing him! That is a very awkward situation and you handled yourself professionally. Some people really do not covet authenticity as we do here on tpf. To each his own I guess.....

My sister has a ebene nf mm and one of her coworkers has a fake one that she was proud to show off b/c she had saved money buying the exact bag as my sisters. My sister didn't embarass her at all but the weird thing is, her coworker carries authentic bags as well :shrugs:

I know some ppl don't appreciate authenticity or the higher end bags like we TPFers do. I live in a small town, coach is seen as the highest end bag and most ppl don't even know what LV is. But my coworker does know and knows mine is all real. I would be embarrassed if I was him, I would never have even taken my phone out if I was him. But to each their own. I don't care, I just was awkward bc I don't wanna get into a convo with him of real vs fake. I buy what I like bc I like it and it's my money. But now I'm also questioning whether his coach bag is real. He said he bought it for himself as an Xmas gift, now I'm wondering if it's legit or fake ?!?

I wouldn't embarrass him and I wouldn't bring it up or tell other coworkers, but I just can't believe he had the balls to bring it out and show me. It's not even a style LV ever made !!!! Lol.

How cute. He wanted to connect with you, even though it was with a fake iphone case. He must admire you or want your acceptance in some way. Good for you for not calling him out.

It's none of my business what people decide to spend their hard earned money on, counterfeit goods or not. Much in the same way I wouldn't want people to criticize me for buying the things I choose to buy, I would never do it to someone else.

I'm glad you handled the situation the way did.
A smile to acknowledge what someone has said can go a long way in avoiding, what could potentially be, a very awkward situation.

I think you did the right thing! When I was an intern in pro sports, I was in a similar situation a lot. The women were always with the very important people...yet had such obvious fakes! One had a Speedy with feet, the wrong leaf, etc., and I was standing next to her with my real one. She gave me such a dirty look, like "who is this broke little intern to be able to own that purse!" I just ignored her look, smiled and went my way.

Maybe he was just really excited to show you, even if he knew it wasn't authentic, because it's like you have the same high taste in fashion (which I would assume is may be on the rarer side in a small town), and he was proud of that? Either way I think you did the very sweet and polite thing in what could have been an especially awkward situation since you'll be working with him in the future as opposed to a passerby on the street or such.

I have a friend like that, except she is perfectly fine with the fact that her things are fake, and I am perfectly fine with telling her I don't think it's fine. Lol. I wouldn't be so forward with a coworker, though. I think you did the right thing in just being polite and not calling him out on it. What good can it do? These people who buy cheap knock off phone cases are not going to be persuaded to buy the genuine article (and besides, of course, there isn't even such a product made by LV!) so it can only create more awkwardness, really.

It's just a clip on phone cover, people who buy those think it's more "Looks it's got the LV logo on it". When my friend try to show me their fakes I somehow tactfully say "That's nice, I don't want to be a buzz kill but you know that's not really LV right?" and they usually say "I know I just like the LV's" or try to tell me and convince me it's real, which is when I say "Okie Dokie, I may have missed that collection". It's not my job or anyone else's to scold someone who buys an imitation.

I had the same situation with someone carrying a fake Alma where I work. I did not notice that it was fake until later. I just said nice bag and then she started to tell me that she got it from Canal St. and was saying it was such a good deal...I don't remember the whole conversation but I don't see her carrying it anymore. :shame:

You handled the situation well I think! I have never had this kind of thing happen to me before, but I would probably just smile and nod.

ITA! I had an awkward situation recently. I went in to an LV boutique to pick up a purchase. My MIL waltzes in there with me carrying a fake white MC speedy! It was 23 cm long and had red LV logos, plus a seam on bottom so the canvas was "right side" up on both sides. I think she realized her gaffe when the SAs didn't compliment her on her bag. I informed my DH that his mother carried a fake into the boutique. Then he asked her, "What were you thinking???" So I promptly got her a pre-loved Monogram Speedy 25, base shaper (she's used to "no-sag" in the fake - if I didn't get this, she might still "think" the fake is better), a purse-to-go, and a Clipa. No more awkward shopping excursions.

I am the same, when people try to compare their fake things with mine (mine being real) I just smile and nod. I wouldn't feel right saying no yours is fake so I think you handled it very well.