OMG..i just got a puppy. she only 3lb & 2oz at 4 month..

Puppy mills and backyard breeders.

Most of them get them from puppy mills I believe, even despite what they say. There was a pet store in a very wealthy nice area nearby where I went to college. My friend wanted to look at dogs, and I was pretty disgusted but I went anyway because I was her friend. The owner and all the employees at this pet shop had this big spiel about how "all the dogs are from high quality breeders with excellent blood lines and they do not support puppy mills". Several months later, they got busted from buying and abusing dogs from a disgusting puppy mill that they were purchasing ALL of their dogs from.

I think it is odd that OP justified it by claiming the pet shop was okay because millionaires buy their dogs there and since there have been no lawsuits or problems, that meant it was a reputable pet shop. Well... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that doesn't mean a thing. Just because someone is a millionaire doesn't make them automatically educated on animal welfare and the horrible puppy mill industry, and it doesn't make them smart. I think everyone can agree with that :biggrin: I would never EVER trust anyone who works at a pet shop like that. They lie more than sleazy used car salesmen who are just trying to make a quick buck.

Also, there is NO WAY that dog will be 4-5 pounds full grown. Seriously, there is no way. The pet shop definitely lied to you if they told you that. You should prepare yourself for having a full-grown dog that is around 8-13 pounds.

Last edited:
Where do the petshops get these dogs from? In France Im totally against petshops because the dogs are brought from Eastern Europe in terrible conditions and most of them die on the trip or when they get there.
Me and my best friend bought our dogs there. We paid them like almost 2,000 dollars. My dog has serious behavior problems because he was separated from his mother too soon and spent the firsts months of his life in a tiny cage. My best friends dog was very sick when she got her. My friend spent the next 6 months thinking the dog was going to die. She spent over 6,000 dollars on treatment. The dog had 1% chance of living. Fortunately she is alive and is now almost 3, she's still very fragile though.
The dogs from Eastern Europe are packed up by 10 in a box. Given no food or water for hours. Most of them die. I've seen videos of these dogs. It makes me cry.
Not to mention the parents who have as much babies as possible. They spend their whole lives making puppy after puppy, they receive no attention whatsoever.
By buying dogs in those kind of place you encourage a terrible traffic.
Animal Traffic is 3rd in the world after drugs and weapons.

good post :tup:

All the pet stores close to me that still sell dogs are disgusting. They keep animals until they sell, I've seen 1 year old dogs, sitting in cages. So sad.

Mods can we stay on topic? There are other threads for these tangents.

LV-Prada it's not your fault - you just wanted to happily tell us about your new pup. That's what this thread should be about.

You should post pics as she grows I'd love to see them :smile:

Come on, guys... stay on topic. He didn't ask for a spiel about puppy mills/pet shops. What's done is done, and he's already made the purchase.

She's beautiful, by the way! I'm sorry if I missed it, but what was her name?

Cute puppy! Congrats!

OP, I have pet insurance through Banfield, which is the vet office inside Petsmart. I pay $32 a month for health and dental, which gets me free checkups, free walk-in visits, neutering was covered 100%, teeth cleanings are covered and all immunizations are 100% covered. Even if you add up the $32 x 12 for a year, you come out hundreds, if not thousands of dollars ahead.

Enjoy your new companion :flowers:

Personally, I'd advise against Banfield. In general, they have a lot of malpractice claims and complaints against them each year. Some locations will be better than others though, so if you go with Banfield be sure to THOROUGHLY research that location's reputation and their vets' reputations. (same goes for petsmart trainers and groomers. Some are good, some are terrible.)