Ok Everyone - It's Time To Bid!

^^it must be...all the belts are nearly the same size.....I would love to know more.....I am nosey!!!

Dear CB

From one nosey to another I'll give you the low down as much as I know.

The collection belongs to a lady called Louise MacBain. There was an article about her and the Christies sale in the Evening Standard newspaper on the 10th August. A friend has just sent me the cutting and when I'm awake tomorrow, and can function the scanner, I'll have a go to scan in the article and post it here.

Louise MacBain is a super successful Canadian businesswoman who likes a bit of art patronage and Hermes too clearly. She's just sold her large Holland Park home in favour of a minimalist life in a riverfront penthouse so she's having a rather fancy garage sale to make room! Mind you as her house sold for around $60 million the new pad can't be too shabby, so I can't imagine this gal is going to be Hermes free. I'd like to think she'd have some closet space poor lamb!

To answer some other questions raised.

Like any auction, even eBay, prices will vary as to how many people want a certain item and bidding fever takes hold. I've seen some items absolutely rocket way past retail at these auctions. But there can be the odd suprise too. I've found that more classic pieces don't get nearly as much attention as more bright/kooky pieces. But who knows it all depends on the day. This auction will gain quite a lot of media attention which will have a knock on effect.

The buyers premium is normally 20% of the hammer price and I think there is VAT of 17.5% of the buyers premium on top. I really don't know how VAT will work for international buyers.

I would also check that for any exotics that Christies have the CITES certificates in order. A couple of years ago there was a hoo haa as they had to withdraw all exotic lots as they did not have the relevant paperwork in place.

I would also verify condition. I've found that auction houses even at this level sometimes have a different idea to condition than I have.

Normally the lower amount of the estimate is the reserve.

I believe their shipping department are pretty helpful.

The promo literature gives the following contact information:

Telephone: + 44 (0) 207 389 27 92
E-mail: [email protected]

This information is in the public domain/internet so see no harm in posting here but if I have flouted an tPF rule please let me know via PM.

I don't know when the viewing days are as my catalogue hasn't arrived yet and I can't find it on the Christies website. But if anyone is in London either on the viewing days or the day of the sale it's so worth going to have a look. Plus you really see some real characters particularly from the world of fashion. I saw the now sadly deceased Isabella Blow a couple of years ago looking fabulous in her trademark hat bless her!

So that's the 'scoop' for today. I'll give the scanning a go tomorrow. Bed time now and sweet dreams of lovely croc Kellys! Well George & Keanu need the night off.

Night night

Fleurs.

wow interesting! i was thinking hm i wonder if it is leona helmsley...you know she just died! but i do not think she was that thin, all the belts are 75 cm, waaah. i do wonder on the descriptions though they say blue roi then it shows an almost black bag...is this a stock picture and we are supposed to go by photos? i do not think this would be the place to get a croc under retail price in the least but perhaps is the chance to get the one you never see in stores...the auctions i have seen even kelly bags go for the very minimum 5 thous. for a regular leather. then you have to pay the buyer's premium which raises it even higher...then add VAT too? wow.

Fleurs, thank you so much for the information!!! I still do not know how anyone could let them go...but then again, I dont know why anyone would need so many, LOL!!!! Good for her, downsizing!!!

Thanks again for the great information!

wow interesting! i was thinking hm i wonder if it is leona helmsley...you know she just died! but i do not think she was that thin, all the belts are 75 cm, waaah. i do wonder on the descriptions though they say blue roi then it shows an almost black bag...is this a stock picture and we are supposed to go by photos? i do not think this would be the place to get a croc under retail price in the least but perhaps is the chance to get the one you never see in stores...the auctions i have seen even kelly bags go for the very minimum 5 thous. for a regular leather. then you have to pay the buyer's premium which raises it even higher...then add VAT too? wow.

It's all from the South Ken London Christie's so we should figure out instead who in the UK's it might be.

Leona Helmley used to be a model I believe, so 75 waist belts would not have been inplausible if they were older, but all these H goodies are relatively recent.

eta: Fleur - just read your post. Thank you for the very interesting read.

Dear CB

From one nosey to another I'll give you the low down as much as I know.

The collection belongs to a lady called Louise MacBain. There was an article about her and the Christies sale in the Evening Standard newspaper on the 10th August. A friend has just sent me the cutting and when I'm awake tomorrow, and can function the scanner, I'll have a go to scan in the article and post it here.

Louise MacBain is a super successful Canadian businesswoman who likes a bit of art patronage and Hermes too clearly. She's just sold her large Holland Park home in favour of a minimalist life in a riverfront penthouse so she's having a rather fancy garage sale to make room! Mind you as her house sold for around $60 million the new pad can't be too shabby, so I can't imagine this gal is going to be Hermes free. I'd like to think she'd have some closet space poor lamb!

To answer some other questions raised.

Like any auction, even eBay, prices will vary as to how many people want a certain item and bidding fever takes hold. I've seen some items absolutely rocket way past retail at these auctions. But there can be the odd suprise too. I've found that more classic pieces don't get nearly as much attention as more bright/kooky pieces. But who knows it all depends on the day. This auction will gain quite a lot of media attention which will have a knock on effect.

The buyers premium is normally 20% of the hammer price and I think there is VAT of 17.5% of the buyers premium on top. I really don't know how VAT will work for international buyers.

I would also check that for any exotics that Christies have the CITES certificates in order. A couple of years ago there was a hoo haa as they had to withdraw all exotic lots as they did not have the relevant paperwork in place.

I would also verify condition. I've found that auction houses even at this level sometimes have a different idea to condition than I have.

Normally the lower amount of the estimate is the reserve.

I believe their shipping department are pretty helpful.

The promo literature gives the following contact information:

Telephone: + 44 (0) 207 389 27 92
E-mail: [email protected]

This information is in the public domain/internet so see no harm in posting here but if I have flouted an tPF rule please let me know via PM.

I don't know when the viewing days are as my catalogue hasn't arrived yet and I can't find it on the Christies website. But if anyone is in London either on the viewing days or the day of the sale it's so worth going to have a look. Plus you really see some real characters particularly from the world of fashion. I saw the now sadly deceased Isabella Blow a couple of years ago looking fabulous in her trademark hat bless her!

So that's the 'scoop' for today. I'll give the scanning a go tomorrow. Bed time now and sweet dreams of lovely croc Kellys! Well George & Keanu need the night off.

Night night

Fleurs.

thanks fleur! yeah - plus, don't forget shipping, it may seem to be the least amount but a friend ended up paying $ 800 for it (for a non-exotic constance) w/c i assume included insurance! oiy!

Oh Gawd! I almost had a stroke when I saw the 20cm braise croc kelly! with GH OMG! I'm gonna cry! That bag needs to be ordered! I demand it! RIGHT NOW!!! :hysteric:

Is it to late at night to call my SA? I'll leave her a message, then she will know I'm REALLY serious leaving a message at 2:33am! :devil: