Ode to the Evelyne

Happy Monday!

So I just looked at my date code on my new black bag, which is for my bday and so have not used yet, but was oohing and aahhing over it and checked the date code and it seems to have an A at the end. I might be reading it wrong, I'm so new to Hermes, what do you think? I'm attaching a pic for reference, but when I look it up, an A looks like it was made in 2017...would that even be possible to get an older bag like that? Has this happened to anyone? I appreciate your help!

Hermes date code.jpg

Happy Monday!

So I just looked at my date code on my new black bag, which is for my bday and so have not used yet, but was oohing and aahhing over it and checked the date code and it seems to have an A at the end. I might be reading it wrong, I'm so new to Hermes, what do you think? I'm attaching a pic for reference, but when I look it up, an A looks like it was made in 2017...would that even be possible to get an older bag like that? Has this happened to anyone? I appreciate your help!

View attachment 4869037
The date code is the first character, in your case a D, meaning 2019 which is quite typical timing, especially in this weird year of shipping/manufacturers delays etc.

Thanks so much, whew I was nervous :smile:
I was talking to the SA at Short Hills Hermes about date codes. I had said that I wouldn't want a bag that is several years old. She said that sometimes their store gets in product with several years old date codes. She said this is because if the color is an older season, that bag gets stamped with that date code. It is not necessarily an older bag.

iirc she said that they have gotten date codes from 2014 recently. It sounded preposterous but whatever.

Anybody with gold hw on their Evelyne that is chipped/tarnished on the inside where the clasp of the strap opens?

Wonder if this might be normal with gold hw and that’s why they hardly release gold hw Evelynes.

I’m sending my strap to Hermes next week for them to look at. Bag was bought early September so not even one month old.

0B99B940-D6C4-4CC3-8235-BC5E48711154.png

E273F9C3-DFFD-4ED7-A3DC-BA934D88A821.png

Reactions: Bubbles1987
Anybody with gold hw on their Evelyne that is chipped/tarnished on the inside where the clasp of the strap opens?

Wonder if this might be normal with gold hw and that’s why they hardly release gold hw Evelynes.

I’m sending my strap to Hermes next week for them to look at. Bag was bought early September so not even one month old.

View attachment 4870232

View attachment 4870233
I wouldn't be concerned with the rub mark where the metal meets, as it's always closed. I would be concerned with the squeaking noise you had previously mentioned the clasp was making when you moved. Please keep us posted!

Reactions: Swedengirl
I was talking to the SA at Short Hills Hermes about date codes. I had said that I wouldn't want a bag that is several years old. She said that sometimes their store gets in product with several years old date codes. She said this is because if the color is an older season, that bag gets stamped with that date code. It is not necessarily an older bag.

iirc she said that they have gotten date codes from 2014 recently. It sounded preposterous but whatever.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

The date codes are stamps. The stamps are changed every calendar year.

Seasonal colours (sometimes in only a couple of leathers) are obviously seasonal to that year/season.

Sometimes the 'seasonal' colour is brought back a year/years later and often in a different leather. It will have a different date stamp to the one before even though it's the same colour. Often you will have seasonal colours with date stamps for 2 consecutive years. My Bambou bags have date stamps 2 years apart.

The stamp is the date the bag was finished (made).

If a bag is sold and has a date code for a few years earlier, it's either been 'hanging around' in factories and delayed for some reason or moved on from one location to the next. For instance, internal buyers may buy lots of Bleu Pale for a store in Dubai, but if those bags don't sell they'll move them on to a place Bleu Pale has sold out and has been requested and that can take 18 months to transpire/transfer.

The year it was sold is on the receipt regardless, and that's what makes it a new bag.

The date codes became significantly more important when resellers could sell a bag with a present year date stamp for more than one belonging to previous years, even if recent.

This is why some customers would rather now wait for the new calendar year rather than ordering for Christmas and then yet terribly upset that their bag still bears the mark of the previous year. It's not like buying a new car. It's not when it's registered. It's when it's made.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

The date codes are stamps. The stamps are changed every calendar year.

Seasonal colours (sometimes in only a couple of leathers) are obviously seasonal to that year/season.

Sometimes the 'seasonal' colour is brought back a year/years later and often in a different leather. It will have a different date stamp to the one before even though it's the same colour. Often you will have seasonal colours with date stamps for 2 consecutive years. My Bambou bags have date stamps 2 years apart.

The stamp is the date the bag was finished (made).

If a bag is sold and has a date code for a few years earlier, it's either been 'hanging around' in factories and delayed for some reason or moved on from one location to the next. For instance, internal buyers may buy lots of Bleu Pale for a store in Dubai, but if those bags don't sell they'll move them on to a place Bleu Pale has sold out and has been requested and that can take 18 months to transpire/transfer.

The year it was sold is on the receipt regardless, and that's what makes it a new bag.

The date codes became significantly more important when resellers could sell a bag with a present year date stamp for more than one belonging to previous years, even if recent.

This is why some customers would rather now wait for the new calendar year rather than ordering for Christmas and then yet terribly upset that their bag still bears the mark of the previous year. It's not like buying a new car. It's not when it's registered. It's when it's made.
I would rather wait for the new calendar year date stamp on the bag. These bags are the prices of used cars. I was surprised that I was still seeing 2019 date stamps in late 2020 but when she told me they could even be stamped several years earlier I was kind of horrified. If it really is old stock they should reduce the price.