Odd experience at Burberry boutique

LemonDrop

a Fendi bag and a bad attitude
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
I’m not a big Burberry person. But this is so odd that I am compelled to ask fellow tPFers.

I have a Burberry boutique near my work place. So I have stopped by twice in my work uniform.

Around 2018 I stopped in to look at a specific item and the FIRST words out of the SAs mouth was “this is very expensive”. I said something like “excuse me?” because I really thought I misunderstood. When she repeated it I just left. I was confused and insulted.

Yesterday I returned to the boutique for the first time since. I was drawn right to the item that I’m interested in. The FIRST words out of the SAs mouth was “that is $1300”. :shocked: It definitely wasn’t the same SA.

Is this a common thing with Burberry? Like are their SAs trained to mention price before even greeting you? That can’t be a thing, right? I am literally blown away that this has happened twice in the same boutique. I honestly don’t understand.

Last edited:
I too have experienced the same thing during a couple different visits to our local Burberry botique. Truly insulting behavior on the part of the staff. I was carrying an LV bag, so it's not like I haven't purhcased expensive bags. My husband was so insulted he refuses to go inside anymore. Once or twice I have seen an item that appeals to me, but I always order online.

Reactions: LemonDrop
Hmmm, I think it varies from boutique to boutique (unfortunately).
I have a longstanding relationship with my Boutique and they have always been very pleasant. But it's hard to say because they know me now.
I do remember when I visited them for the 1st time ~2014? They were still very pleasant, offered coffee or tea, and were happy to show me around despite me not buying anything. I would occasionally go into the store for the next few years and, still not buy anything, but they were still welcoming and nice.

I do wonder if it's because of the direction of the new creative director, Daniel Lee.
After he came in, the prices shot up a lot, for both bags, and RTW.
Price is something I would ask my SA a lot, because I will compare quality and prices increases.
And I'm sure for their other longtime clients (and VIPs), they would probably do something similar because we are familiar with the old prices, but would definitely raise eyebrows at a $15,000 all viscose dress (which yes, they have).
So maybe, the SA's are used to people asking them about prices a lot recently and would rather just say it upfront? Not sure, but I can see that being a little cut-off-ish.

I have not gone in or bought anything recently though.
1) Daniel Lee's current direction is not my aesthetic.
2) Some of the price points I do not agree for the quality. (cool, you're all made in Italy now, but I will not pay $2000 for a wool and viscose jumper when I can buy a 100% cashmere one for the same price at Brunello).
3) My longtime SA has left. (and while they are happy to introduce someone new, there's no point if I will not buy.)

Never happened to me in Burberry (London)

They should be trained NOT to say stupid things like that. Reminds me, when I'm looking to buy a party dress or bag etc in other stores and they wanna know what I do for a living. Just bad manners and very bad training.
Agree.
I am not fond of being asked what I do for a living. It's okay later down the line if my SA and I like each other and I have decided that I will partner up with the SA.
I'm not sure if they don't have good social skills or just want to strike up some kind of conversation but don't really know what to say. :hrmm:
(I feel job/career unfortunately gets brought up in a lot of conversations in general in gatherings when new people meet one another.)

Agree.
I am not fond of being asked what I do for a living. It's okay later down the line if my SA and I like each other and I have decided that I will partner up with the SA.
I'm not sure if they don't have good social skills or just want to strike up some kind of conversation but don't really know what to say. :hrmm:
(I feel job/career unfortunately gets brought up in a lot of conversations in general in gatherings when new people meet one another.)

I just find the whole area of sizing-up a client in any way very poor taste. This is just the kind of thing SAs are taught not to speak about if they've had proper training.

Stating the price or pronouncing something is beyond someone's budget (if not asked for) is very patronising . Asking clients what they do for a living is OK at a party, It's to keep the convo going maybe network, but the SA is there to facilitate a sale. As you say, fine down the line, not for starters.

I’m not a big Burberry person. But this is so odd that I am compelled to ask fellow tPFers.

I have a Burberry boutique near my work place. So I have stopped by twice in my work uniform.

Around 2018 I stopped in to look at a specific item and the FIRST words out of the SAs mouth was “this is very expensive”. I said something like “excuse me?” because I really thought I misunderstood. When she repeated it I just left. I was confused and insulted.

Yesterday I returned to the boutique for the first time since. I was drawn right to the item that I’m interested in. The FIRST words out of the SAs mouth was “that is $1300”. :shocked: It definitely wasn’t the same SA.

Is this a common thing with Burberry? Like are their SAs trained to mention price before even greeting you? That can’t be a thing, right? I am literally blown away that this has happened twice in the same boutique. I honestly don’t understand.
Don’t take it to heart. When I was staying at the Ritz in California, my dad asked the concierge the directions to a store on rodeo dr and the concierge said “You know the stores there are very expensive”.

Just take it in stride and accept that some employees are poorly trained and aren’t the best at conversing with clients. :giggle:

Don’t take it to heart. When I was staying at the Ritz in California, my dad asked the concierge the directions to a store on rodeo dr and the concierge said “You know the stores there are very expensive”.

Just take it in stride and accept that some employees are poorly trained and aren’t the best at conversing with clients. :giggle:
Now I'm curious about how your dad responded

Now I'm curious about how your dad responded
He just laughed and it was equally amusing when they didn’t let him into Graff because he was wearing a backpack. 🤣

He loves when people speak to him like that because he turns the situation into a joke. “Oh your merchandise is so expensive and fancy so little old me will wait outside”.

He just laughed and it was equally amusing when they didn’t let him into Graff because he was wearing a backpack. 🤣

He loves when people speak to him like that because he turns the situation into a joke. “Oh your merchandise is so expensive and fancy so little old me will wait outside”.
Yikes at Graff; good on your dad for joking about it.

Appearance unfortunately matters.
But it is also why I loved Burberry and Dior so much. I walked in with a hoodie and flip flops the first time I went into Burberry.
The first time I went into Dior was jeans, flip flops, and a tube top.
Both SAs were lovely and did not look me up and down, and just seemed to be happy to show me around and let me try things on.
In Dior I was encouraged to try on a $2k 100% cashmere knit dress that was stunning. At the time I could not afford it and I was clear on that but the SA was like, eh, who cares? If you like it, just try it! (now $2k for a dress is like a deal lol)

Living in Southern California, most people dress casually (and very casually). I am considered to be quite "proper" and I think that's why I don't get stopped or questioned at luxury stores. It's sad how we're sometimes judged on our appearance and there's that assumption that if you're dressed to the nines you have money (or I guess are more likely to spend it?).

However, I think location matters. My local mall is quite a famous mall on the West Coast, where many wealthy people pass through. There are people who dress very normally who buy luxury as well, so I feel that the SA's are not as quick to judge.
The mall is also divided into various sections based on category and price.
One wing is devoted to babies/children/teens/miscellaneous (Disney, Baby Gap, Gap, Express, Uniqlo, Forever 21, Pandora, Starbucks, JD sports [formerly Footlocker], Lego Store)
Another wing is more "mid-tier" (All Saints, Coach, Abercrombie, Sandro, Maje, Reformation, Bloomingdales)
The 3rd wing is the luxury wing (YSL, gucci, Brunello, LV all the watches, etc.) that splits off into 2 wings at the end. One end ends with Hermes, Chanel, Dior and VCA, and Nordstrom. LV and Gucci both have 2 locations. The other end ends with Saks, D&G, Maison Marjela, Zegna, and a bunch of other stores that I don't pay attention to.
So generally, those who want to buy luxury, will go into the 3rd wing and just stay there.

Of course, at the end of the day, professionalism should be everywhere regardless of appearance and location. Management plays a big role in education and brand portrayal. I suppose just wish for the best and try not to get upset. Take your money to places that you enjoy and that treat you well. :smile:

I know Harrods also won't let people in with a back-packs (or luggage). Maybe it's a British security thing, we used to get bombed a lot. We still get the threats. They sell luggage/back-packs inside though.

I think I actually bought my Burberry back-pack from Harrods (in the Jurassic era ;) )

I know Harrods also won't let people in with a back-packs (or luggage). Maybe it's a British security thing, we used to get bombed a lot. We still get the threats. They sell luggage/back-packs inside though.

I think I actually bought my Burberry back-pack from Harrods (in the Jurassic era ;) )
I never even considered a bomb risk! Scary!

Appearance unfortunately matters.
But it is also why I loved Burberry and Dior so much. I walked in with a hoodie and flip flops the first time I went into Burberry.
The first time I went into Dior was jeans, flip flops, and a tube top.
Both SAs were lovely and did not look me up and down, and just seemed to be happy to show me around and let me try things on.
In Dior I was encouraged to try on a $2k 100% cashmere knit dress that was stunning. At the time I could not afford it and I was clear on that but the SA was like, eh, who cares? If you like it, just try it! (now $2k for a dress is like a deal lol)

Living in Southern California, most people dress casually (and very casually). I am considered to be quite "proper" and I think that's why I don't get stopped or questioned at luxury stores. It's sad how we're sometimes judged on our appearance and there's that assumption that if you're dressed to the nines you have money (or I guess are more likely to spend it?).

However, I think location matters. My local mall is quite a famous mall on the West Coast, where many wealthy people pass through. There are people who dress very normally who buy luxury as well, so I feel that the SA's are not as quick to judge.
The mall is also divided into various sections based on category and price.
One wing is devoted to babies/children/teens/miscellaneous (Disney, Baby Gap, Gap, Express, Uniqlo, Forever 21, Pandora, Starbucks, JD sports [formerly Footlocker], Lego Store)
Another wing is more "mid-tier" (All Saints, Coach, Abercrombie, Sandro, Maje, Reformation, Bloomingdales)
The 3rd wing is the luxury wing (YSL, gucci, Brunello, LV all the watches, etc.) that splits off into 2 wings at the end. One end ends with Hermes, Chanel, Dior and VCA, and Nordstrom. LV and Gucci both have 2 locations. The other end ends with Saks, D&G, Maison Marjela, Zegna, and a bunch of other stores that I don't pay attention to.
So generally, those who want to buy luxury, will go into the 3rd wing and just stay there.

Of course, at the end of the day, professionalism should be everywhere regardless of appearance and location. Management plays a big role in education and brand portrayal. I suppose just wish for the best and try not to get upset. Take your money to places that you enjoy and that treat you well. :smile:
I'm curious what you meant by appearance matters? I did purposely mention my work uniform in my OP. I think my work group is known more for carrying fakes than not being paid well. But I did wonder if my uniform might have something to do with it? I just find the whole thing odd. It appears it doesn't happen often due to the lack of replies on here and most ended up being about someones Dad. :biggrin:

Reactions: zinacef
I'm curious what you meant by appearance matters? I did purposely mention my work uniform in my OP. I think my work group is known more for carrying fakes than not being paid well. But I did wonder if my uniform might have something to do with it? I just find the whole thing odd. It appears it doesn't happen often due to the lack of replies on here and most ended up being about someones Dad. :biggrin:
Because the Burberry forum has been dead since Christopher Bailey left. 🤣