NVT/darwin leather in oak wear and tear

NG99

Jul 1, 2019
Hello ladies!

I just love the older Mulberry bags in oak but I’m a bit afraid of using them. I’ve heard that nvt and darwin age beautifully but that they get easily watermarks from rain and scuffs and other marks from nails etc. But I really don’t like to baby my bags, I want to use them everyday.

My question is: has anyone used a Mulberry bag (made from nvt or darwin) in a carefree way and how does your bag look like now? Have you treated it with Collonil? Pics would be great! Thank you!

Reactions: Miss60s
Mine may not be a popular opinion but I don’t think you get the patina everybody loves UNLESS you use the bag in a care free way. It will get water spots and darken, but eventually it all develops into the honey coloured patina people rave about. I no longer have any of my old Mulberry bags, but I used them all the time, in all weathers, and used a leather moisturiser just once a year or so. I don’t like collonil personally, and if overused it makes bags horribly floppy and greasy.

I sent my Oak Emmy off to the handbag clinic to sell and ... they rejected it for being subpar. I was kinda insulted but now I'm glad I have it back. There are scuffs and marks, and some discolouration but I think it still looks great. It doesn't have any actual damage or deep scratches. I checked their YT video showing a restoration and I think it looks overdone and painted. I prefer my Emmy as it is but will give it a clean up. It did purchase some Collonil products but I will take note of what Pessie says above.

Almost all my bags are oak and +/-10 years old. I totally agree with @Pessie , you need to use your bags to get the patina. I have both Bayswater, SBS, Lilly and a large Bayswater ( Piccadilly's sibling) in oak and they get rained on regularly. I treat them with high quality products but I never baby them. At hand right now to show you, my old Lily. I see she has a scratch on the flap that will disappear when rubbed, don't know how it came.

received_2900941663563869~3.jpeg

I have a ten year old East West Bayswater in black NVT and there's not a mark on it and this bag has been out in all weathers and used as a work bag year in year out. I haven't babied it one bit and have only conditioned it last year! I agree with others, you have to use your bag like this to get the patina and my East West Bayswater has a fabulous patina - not as noticeable in the black leather as in the oak but close up you can see it and whenever I touch it I end up patting it in admiration at it's so tactile and gorgeous.