Now a cousin has come over from Italy to join the family!

Wow, just cannot believe how clean you got the inside - even the pocket! Stunning bag, well worth exceeding your rehab limit!

Thank you! I was really afraid that I wouldn't be able to get that suede lining clean, but when I gave it some soap, water, and a little elbow grease - it cleaned up amazingly well!

I'm also glad that I exceeded my limit to buy her!

I try to keep the budget for my rehab projects low ($20 or less) because I have occassionally made mistakes and bought fakes and because sometimes my cleaning efforts are not as successful as desired. Also because it makes it easy for me to to continue hunting for more projects! But sometimes you come across a bag that's really worth the extra expense, like this beautiful little Gramercy.

A beautiful collection of bags! Love them!

They are all just beautiful!

Wonderful reveal as usual! Lovely Italian collection-so elegant. Congrats!

You are a wizard. I am always just in awe of what you can do with those rehabs. ;)))

Another wonderful rehab!! They are all just beautiful!

WOW just WOW!!!!

there awesome!

Thanks so much, I am really pleased with my little Italian collection!

katev said:
Thank you! I was really afraid that I wouldn't be able to get that suede lining clean, but when I gave it some soap, water, and a little elbow grease - it cleaned up amazingly well!

I'm also glad that I exceeded my limit to buy her!

I try to keep the budget for my rehab projects low ($20 or less) because I have occassionally made mistakes and bought fakes and because sometimes my cleaning efforts are not as successful as desired. Also because it makes it easy for me to to continue hunting for more projects! But sometimes you come across a bag that's really worth the extra expense, like this beautiful little Gramercy.

I know exactly what you mean about the limit - I do almost all of my clothes and handbag shopping on eBay (don't get me started complaining about the price and quality of most high street clothes in the UK...sort of like the cobbler issue!), except for my rare trips to the States when I'm not working the whole time and can get time to shop - especially Coach! I have that type of limit for clothes and handbags - then a mistake just doesn't matter, it goes in the bin or straight to the charity shop (no good pickings in charity shops here...) Mind you, that limit keeps going up and up as I have less time for projects or to browse for poor listings... :sad:

It is such a vicarious thrill to see other people's projects on TPF!! I've got a pile of bags I'd love to rehab sitting here - maybe over the hols... Thanks for letting me have some fun through your rehabs!

So lovely a collection! great job as always. (Still hoping to find some Italian beauties when I'm on the prowl). Sadly, people in my area (college girls with blaring Logo bags) DON'T seem to carry vintage Coach, so it's cool that you are seeing them where you are.

As some of you know I've recently had the luck to find some “Made in Italy” Coach bags at thrift stores at low prices. The bags have cleaned up very well and I have become a big fan of Italian Coach leather bags.

The 3 bags I previously acquired were all part of the Madison Line (Royalton, Carlyle, and Gracie) and I think of them fondly as “Three Little Madison Sisters from Italy”.

Awhile ago I came across a different style Italian Coach bag at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. It had a different textured pattern on the surface; it was lined with a soft suede material instead of cloth. It also had an unusual brass hangtag.

I was attracted to the bag but I didn’t buy it because I was not familiar with the style (although it looked real) and it had condition issues – the suede lining was dirty and I didn't know if I could clean it. And it was a fairly high price ($45) and I prefer to stay under $20 for my rehab projects.

I made a note of the style number (7001) and went home to try and research the bag but came up with nothing until Hyacinth took pity on me. She told me that 7001 was part of the Gramercy line. It is called the “Gramercy Zip” and came out in late 1998. She gave me the catalog picture below and I was so entranced that I went back to the store the next morning and bought it! (After all, I didn't have any Gramercy items so I really NEEDED to buy it!)

Also below are group photos of my “My 4 Italian Ladies!” The 3 Madison sisters and their Gramercy cousin. Also a comparison pic showing the unusual hangtag on the Gramercy Zip and the leather creed patch that is also a slip pocket. I will post before and after pics of the Gramercy Zip in subsequent messages.

Catalog photo of the Gramercy zip from 1998 (thanks, Hyacinth!):
7001_Gramercy20Zip-Hol98_Stock.jpg

Here are My 4 Italian Ladies! Left to right: Black Carlyle 4401 ($8), Beechnut Gracie 4413 ($2), Black Gramercy Zip 7001 ($45), and Beechnut Royalton 4403 ($10). My entire Italian collection has cost a total of $65, that's not too bad!

GramercyZipAfterCleaning038.jpg

Back view of the Italian Ladies:
GramercyZipAfterCleaning041.jpg

Comparison Pic of the Gramercy Zip brass hangtag (right). It is smaller and thicker than a typical brass Coach hangtag (left):
GramercyZipBlk020.jpg

Here is the creed patch of the Gramercy Zip, it functions as an interior slip pocket:
GramercyZipBlk021.jpg
katev, funny that I should come across your thread. I have a Coach that I had bought new almost 20 years ago. I never used it much but did keep it. I checked the creed a couple days ago and saw that it was made in Italy.

Curious about that, I did a little quick research, and it is from their Sheridan line, which featured textured, treated leather that was more scratch resistant than the smooth leather and a tan-colored lining.

Mine is a medium-sized off-white flap shoulder bag with a brass turnlock. I remember buying it after having trouble with upkeep on a glove-tanned bag that I had bought a couple years prior (which I stupidly did not keep). But this Sheridan leather, although more durable, just has no character, no patina, nothing, IMO. Very stiff.

Anyway, loving seeing your pics.