Notes From A New Tide Pen User

ClioMouse

Oki Doki
Sep 11, 2007
I've heard everywhere about the wonders of Tide Pens on Tokidokis and have, thus, put it on my list of "random things to get while out." It's never made it off of the list, which is why I'm fortunate my mother was more on top of things and gave me one of the pack of three she bought.

I just tried using it for the first time this evening. I'd taken my Adios Star Ciao Ciao with me to be signed by Simone when he was in Seattle way back when (a number of months ago). I'm not sure what got on it, but it definitely came off of me in the form of a hazy dinge all over the back of the bag where it had rubbed against me. It could be dyes from my jeans, or it could be dirt, since I'm perpetually a little dirty. (Them's the breaks when you quite literally work in dirt.)

The results of the pen usage so far are mediocre. I don't have the directions with me, though I did read them, so I'm not sure if I definitely should or definitely should not have let it sit on the fabric before or after rubbing it around. Without having let it set, and doing plenty of "coloring" with the pen tip in the dingy areas, I've seen a little bit of it come up. It might not be coming up because the blemishes may be dyes, or maybe because I'm doing it wrong.

Comments? Suggestions? I'm definitely up for giving it another go, but would like to not ruin the bag on which Simone graciously agreed to draw a rare mouse. (And it's cuter than the ones on Celebrazione, too!)

Input greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've got many nylon bags - Prada, Kipling, Toki, etc. Here's what I feel about the Tide pen which I purchased a year ago. It does remove some stains, and only organic stains like fruit juice, some mild curry (dry, like bits from curry puff not wet curries), and chocolate smears. It does not remove synthetic stains like pen ink and lipstick.

All in all the stains are best removed if you can machine wash your items. With Kipling I can, first I "draw" on the stain and leave it for 5-10 mins before chucking into the washer. With Prada, Toki, Kidrobot, I can't because of their leather trimmings and of course Prada is a big risk.:nuts:

Believe it or not you can safely use a Clorox Bleach pen on your Tokidoki bags and it works much better than the Tide pen. However I have found that no matter what I try there are some stains that never come off.

Believe it or not you can safely use a Clorox Bleach pen on your Tokidoki bags and it works much better than the Tide pen. However I have found that no matter what I try there are some stains that never come off.

Fortunately, I didn't entirely expect all of the stain to come off, so I'm not terribly disappointed in the so-so results. I'll have to try the Bleach pen next. The stains don't show up on the dark stars, so I'm sure a Bleach pen would be fine to use on just the dingy white areas.

Also, your "button" icon is hilarious!