Non-slouchy Bal?

CoutureCat

May 2, 2011
I am falling more and more in love with Balenciaga everyday. However, Im worried that the slouchy style wont fit my style (I currently have structured LV and Chanel bags)

I was hoping anyone would be able to enlighten me as to how slouchy Bal bags become after use? Does anyone use a 'bottom' to their bags to give it more shape? Or are there any particular designs/ leather that might appear thicker or more structured?

Really appriciate any feeback!! TIA!! :smile:

Hmmm...if you want to avoid slouchy, you may have to look at another brand. The essence of Balenciaga bags is their cool slouchy style. Bal collectors salivate over the droopiest slouchiest Bals. The only Bals that I think may come close to your style are the bags from the Papier line.

I don't know of a single Bal collector who uses a base in their bags.

Slouchy + Drapey + Smooshy = Balenciaga :biggrin:

HTH!

I am falling more and more in love with Balenciaga everyday. However, Im worried that the slouchy style wont fit my style (I currently have structured LV and Chanel bags)

I was hoping anyone would be able to enlighten me as to how slouchy Bal bags become after use? Does anyone use a 'bottom' to their bags to give it more shape? Or are there any particular designs/ leather that might appear thicker or more structured?

Really appriciate any feeback!! TIA!! :smile:

Hmmm...if you want to avoid slouchy, you may have to look at another brand. The essence of Balenciaga bags is their cool slouchy style. Bal collectors salivate over the droopiest slouchiest Bals. The only Bals that I think may come close to your style are the bags from the Papier line.

I don't know of a single Bal collector who uses a base in their bags.

Slouchy + Drapey + Smooshy = Balenciaga :biggrin:

HTH!

Hmmm, well I think Im going to have to get used to a slouchy bag then! They're just too gorgeous to not have!! ... Plenty of time for structured bags later.. LOL !! :lol:

Thanks for your feeback! :biggrin:

the thing about slouchiness is, it can appear to look more structured if the bag is full. my work is a puddle of leather but I tend to always carry so much that it keeps its square shape when hanging from my arm or shoulder. It doesn't look stiff if that's what you're looking for when you want structured, but it does have a shape.

also, I don't own one, but judging by the pictures I feel like the velo style seems to hold its shape well too. something about the squarer shape and bottom edges seems to be different enough to give it that look.

but yeah, these bags aren't structured.

Hmmm, well I think Im going to have to get used to a slouchy bag then! They're just too gorgeous to not have!! ... Plenty of time for structured bags later.. LOL !! :lol:

Thanks for your feeback! :biggrin:

There you go! Step outside the box.

I stepped outside of my box and got into POP colors for my very neutral collection. It feels great! :biggrin:

Is there any particular style that you're drawn to?

As the others have said, Bals are renowned for their smooshy slouchy styles but some styles are definitely more slouchy than others. I've never read of or seen anyone using a base shaper with one but I feel like it would look quite strange. :thinking:

For a slightly less slouchy style I'd personally go with the Midday - its a hand-held bag though and for some people that's a bit of a turn off but its also a very ladylike design which I guess is what you're usually drawn to if your collection is mainly structured LVs and Chanel. Its also reasonably large - to get a better idea, you might want to have a look at the Midday clubhouse where loads of ladies have mod pics with theirs. The other problem with the Midday is that it is a discontinued style so you may need to go down the preloved route - that being said boutiques often carry residual stock from previous years (this is how I got a brand new Midday after it had been officially discontinued) so you could always try your luck with that.

And coming full circle, I like and have a lot of structured LVs and Chanels too but I go to Bal for something completely different and I would recommend a quintessential Bal to anyone - they are far more versatile than people often think and as you said before, they're just too darn gorgeous! The best idea would be to get yourself down to a store (if there's one near you) and play around with different styles. That way you can really see what will make your heart skip a beat. GLD!

Is there any particular style that you're drawn to?

As the others have said, Bals are renowned for their smooshy slouchy styles but some styles are definitely more slouchy than others. I've never read of or seen anyone using a base shaper with one but I feel like it would look quite strange. :thinking:

For a slightly less slouchy style I'd personally go with the Midday - its a hand-held bag though and for some people that's a bit of a turn off but its also a very ladylike design which I guess is what you're usually drawn to if your collection is mainly structured LVs and Chanel. Its also reasonably large - to get a better idea, you might want to have a look at the Midday clubhouse where loads of ladies have mod pics with theirs. The other problem with the Midday is that it is a discontinued style so you may need to go down the preloved route - that being said boutiques often carry residual stock from previous years (this is how I got a brand new Midday after it had been officially discontinued) so you could always try your luck with that.

And coming full circle, I like and have a lot of structured LVs and Chanels too but I go to Bal for something completely different and I would recommend a quintessential Bal to anyone - they are far more versatile than people often think and as you said before, they're just too darn gorgeous! The best idea would be to get yourself down to a store (if there's one near you) and play around with different styles. That way you can really see what will make your heart skip a beat. GLD!

I think I would like my first Bal to be brand spanking new! I was first drawn to the First, but looking at mod pics, it looks too small, as it will definitly be used as a casual day bag. So now I think the City would be perfect for my needs. And Im loving the Bleu Lavande colour, such a beauitful colour pop! I think it could be carried summer through to winter. And yes, I agree, it will be nice to have something completely different! :biggrin: There is a Bal store close, so Im planning to go and view them this weekend so that I fall even deeper in love! :biggrin: Thank you for your feedback!! :smile:

I think I would like my first Bal to be brand spanking new! I was first drawn to the First, but looking at mod pics, it looks too small, as it will definitly be used as a casual day bag. So now I think the City would be perfect for my needs. And Im loving the Bleu Lavande colour, such a beauitful colour pop! I think it could be carried summer through to winter. And yes, I agree, it will be nice to have something completely different! :biggrin: There is a Bal store close, so Im planning to go and view them this weekend so that I fall even deeper in love! :biggrin: Thank you for your feedback!! :smile:

I can totally understand wanting a brand new beauty to break in yourself! Bleu Lavande is a beautiful choice and definitely a pop - hope you like it when you've had a chance to explore.

On your other question about whether they hold some shape, the giant hardware bags tend to be made of slightly thicker leather than the regular hardware and so, tend to hold their shape a bit more. When full, I think they are more like the LV speedy in that there's a discernible shape but with slouch and they always have more shape when used hand-held compared to the shoulder strap. Half empty, its a different story :biggrin:

Get Bleu Lavande! My first has been a BL RGGH City, and it's absolutely gorgeous - I've gotten way more compliments on it, than any bag I own.

However, the City slouches a lot. Maybe you could take a look at the new Polly? I suspect it'll slouch but maybe as much as a Speedy versus a City or something. I think one of the girls posted a photo in the Jan/Feb 2012 thread of her BL Polly.

I am new to Bal, too and like you I usually have more structured bags. I bought the bordeaux City from the Cruise line and that one actually is pretty structured as compared to the other ones. Maybe you could look into that line?