Nikki Peeling Hardware

Haughty

Oct 8, 2014
My new-to-me black studded pyramid Nikki is here. The leather is wonderful but the hardware has some peeling. I've tried Brasso but not much luck.

It's not a deal breaker, but I would love to clean her up. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: finer_woman
There's no cleaning that can bring back the gunmetal finish because it's worn off to the brass below. But if you are willing to risk DIY, you can try the Rub n Buff metallic wax finish. They sell them at Michaels and it comes in various colors. I used the gold one on my MAM hardware... it's not perfect but my goal was just to hide the discoloration. Alternatively you could try painting with metallic paint?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Rub and Buff tomorrow. Someone at a craft store also suggested car repair pain at a car repair shop. Like you, I only want to hide the discoloration.

Thanks again!

Hello! Truly beautiful bag. =]

May I ask you how old it is? I'm considering buying a RM with gunmetal hardware and, whilst the black one is known to peel, I've never heard about such issues with the gunmetal...Sorry, I can't be of much help about it either.

Thank you. I have no idea of the age. I was hoping it was OS. It was a Poshmark bargain. I am embarrassed to say I don't know the difference between gunmetal and other kinds of hardware!

what lining is it? I have a nikki that is the original black leather with gold hardware, the hardware still looks shining and new, I think it depends on how much the previous person been using it. Some people maybe hard on their bags.

If it's me, I wouldn't try to treat it, it's not going to change much and may make it worse.

The lining is the little red birds. Is that the Becky Bird lining?

I put the Mr to work on it this weekend. He spray painted the hardware black and did a nice job. At least he didn't get it all over the leather like I would have and it looks good enough that I can put her back into the rotation. I guess I'll keep him around another week