nightmare experience with Shay Jewelry

I have a platinum Amex, and this isn't true for all customers. I have a good credit score, but they won't approve my limit for an amount that high. I have relatives with the same issue, one in particular with a credit score of nearly 800 & a platinum card and Amex won't let him charge above 55k. Seems kinda like a catch-22...if you don't have a history of spending 100k, then they won't approve you to spend 100k.
Then get the Centurion. Not sure what to say, I don't randomly or at all regularly spend six figures but when I have (like furnishing a new house recently) it's been approved. If I'm considering a really whoppingly huge purchase I would warn them ahead of time - but usually with a purchase that big you can get a discount for paying by wire/cash/etc. Hubby paid for my e-ring with a platinum Amex (Tiffany wasn't making any deals LOL).

Either way, sorry you had this experience although the Shay CS rep seemed to be quite distressed and sincere in wanting to help. Hope it all works out.

Super random to me that your Amex Platinum has any type of limit; the whole point of the Plat is that there is no spending limit. We use the same card and literally no purchase, into six figures, has been declined. Amex doesn’t seem to have a set protocol nor algorithm; it does seem to be case by case. For us, we’ve been with Amex for years and have multiple products including various non credit accounts, but who knows.

I might reach out to them. The purchase protection alone is worth the phone call, IMO.

Super random to me that your Amex Platinum has any type of limit; the whole point of the Plat is that there is no spending limit. We use the same card and literally no purchase, into six figures, has been declined. Amex doesn’t seem to have a set protocol nor algorithm; it does seem to be case by case. For us, we’ve been with Amex for years and have multiple products including various non credit accounts, but who knows.

I might reach out to them. The purchase protection alone is worth the phone call, IMO.

Well I heard there's no limit per se like a traditional credit card, but there's an unspoken underlying limit that each customer has based on their spending history & credit profile. That's so interesting you've been able to spend into 6 figures. I have called them before, but I'll try again. Thank you

+1 with @QuelleFromage and @jenaywins above that it may be on a case by case basis and definitely call them again. While spending six figures on a single purchase would be unusual, we do contact them ahead and it’s always been fine. I’m anticipating more expenditures due to furnishing a second apt, so probably should get used to it. We do have a chase sapphire (we were told to get it for travel, but we almost never use it). We’ve been Amex clients since 1989. I havent prepaid Amex recently, but I don’t recall an issue with an amount of prepay. That’s also something to ask about! Sending you positive vibes and hope things turn out well ! We don’t personally wire funds for luxury items, but we do wire for services where we are connected referred by professionals with a known relationship and track record (Lutron bill, though five not six figures, comes to mind)

Last edited: