Nightmare buyer, won a bag, now questions authenticity

mozzarella

O.G.
Jul 16, 2006
I am so annoyed. I sold a 1000 dollar bag for 80 dollars. It's been in use, but still perfect condition. I am not happy with the result and would gladly re-list, but I am intending to honour the sale. The buyer asked me a question during bidding about proof of authenticity. I don't have cards or dustbag and this bag is over 3 years old and I told her how it is, if it's fake, she can take it to the shop and I'll refund her, but I can't PROVE it online! She still bid and won. Now continues to pester me about cards, dustbags and asked 5 times to tell her the TRUTH... I am sorry, what am I supposed to do? I told her it's authentic, I will refund if it isn't, but she should have asked these questions before bidding! It's been 5 days, still no payment... What can I do? I have 100% positive feedback and don't want to spoil it, but I can't deal with someone in another country who is going to raise hell because of 80 bucks. Not to mention, this is way too cheap and I'll make like 50 dollars of it. I honestly feel like maybe even that money is too much for her and she is now having remorse.

If you want to determine authenticity for her, perhaps post it in one of the forums, or have her post the link. If it's real, then she can send over payment.

you could suggest to do a mutual cancellation based in the fact that she isn't sure if the bag is real even if you had already provided her with all the information you have about it, you'll get your fees bag is she agrees to the cancellation.
re: payment, i think ebay gives sellers now 4 days to lodge a claim for non payment.
you might be better off selling the bag to another person...maybe mention in the auction that the bag can be authenticated here?

Getting $80.00 for a bag worth $1000 doesn't sound like a good deal for you. It might be better if she doesn't pay and you can relist.

You can get it authenticated here and invite your prospective buyers to do the same.

I agree...80 bucks for a 1000 hand bag is a HUGE loss. xxx not allowed

But in all seriousness, you can't send her what you don't have....pure and simple. I would open a case to cancel the transaction. If she doesn't respond, then after 7 days, it'll automatically be cancelled. Just hold onto it for now and wait for the case. If she tries to pay you, I'd refund her money because you're getting way too jipped and she might claim it's fake...too much of a hassle. I'd open a case and just wait.

I'd relist after the case is closed and you're absolutely right, she should have asked BEFORE she bid. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I think I am going to cancel transaction and re-list later. I could stand by this and "prove" it to her, but to be honest, after all the rudeness and so little money, it would just hurt my pride. I am also selling in pounds and the exchange rate is diabolical. :mad:

Well, I do feel for your situation. BUT, even If I was paying $5 for a $800 bag...I would still like to make sure that it is not fake, because by buying the fake, I would be supporting fakes and I wouldn't want to do that. So, try and understand that side, but as for he being rude, I suggest you cancel and re-list :smile:

Well, I do feel for your situation. BUT, even If I was paying $5 for a $800 bag...I would still like to make sure that it is not fake, because by buying the fake, I would be supporting fakes and I wouldn't want to do that. So, try and understand that side, but as for he being rude, I suggest you cancel and re-list :smile:

Yes, of course, it's understandable, however I have 5 photos showing the leather, the lining, the tag, hardware. I accept returns, no questions asked. I have 100% positive feedback showing I sold authentic designer stuff. The bag itself is a relatively obscure model and I can't imagine it was faked. Yes, I don't have cards and dustbag because I never even keep cards, and moved about 9 times since I bought it. I explained everything, this sale is a loss and not even worth it... And I am still being insulted by someone I never even met...

Agreed, but as a buyer you need to do this research BEFORE making that bid!! If you make a bid, then it is suppose to be a contract to purchase based on the terms listed. If you are not certain it's authentic, then don't bid and move on.

OP: file the mutual cancellation and relist. Then block your original bidder/buyer. Good luck

Better that you cancel or file a non-paying bidder report on her now than trying to get the bag back later when she has buyer's remorse. Make it easier on yourself and block her in the future. :yes:

Agreed, but as a buyer you need to do this research BEFORE making that bid!! If you make a bid, then it is suppose to be a contract to purchase based on the terms listed. If you are not certain it's authentic, then don't bid and move on.

OP: file the mutual cancellation and relist. Then block your original bidder/buyer. Good luck

As you know, not everyone (sadly) conducts research and stuff like this happens.

OP, I hope it got solved :smile:

As you know, not everyone (sadly) conducts research and stuff like this happens.

OP, I hope it got solved :smile:

That's the problem. People bid without doing research, knowing that they can always back out. The problem is also the system where seller can no longer leave negative feedback to buyers. It's true that the burden of proving authenticity rest with the seller, but as a buyer, they need to do their own research to ensure authenticity prior to placing a bid. This will save a lot of problem and headache.

Better that you cancel or file a non-paying bidder report on her now than trying to get the bag back later when she has buyer's remorse. Make it easier on yourself and block her in the future. :yes:

It might not be the best idea to file a non-paying bidder quite yet, but ask if she's willing to cancel the transaction.

And, when you relist, either wait a while, or don't out the start the bid too high. You don't want her going around saying you tried to sell her a fake bag and then canceled the sale and then tried to sell the bag again at an inflated price.

Play it safe because their wierdos out there and even though you're selling a real bag, people will still sometimes accuse you of selling fakes :sad:

I'm so sorry you are going through this too. I also sold one of my authentic LV handbags to a new buyer and after I shipped the handbag she emailed me asking if it was authentic and said she hope she likes it. :nuts: I did already post on this forum about my situation, but I understand what you are going through. I contacted ebay and had told them my concerns and they saw that I have sold over 40 of my own authentic LV handbags and they knew I was very worried about this buyer. I told ebay that I would rather she refuse to sign for my handbag and just do a mutual cancellation. Ebay agreed with me and told me to open a mutual cancellation. So I emailed her and told her I really wish did not bid on my authentic handbag if she did not think it was authentic and she should have emailed before she ever bid. I told her to please just refuse to sign for my handbag and that I would rather just do a mutual cancellation. Luckily, she did refuse to sign for my handbag and I hope I get it back by Saturday. She also agreed to the cancellation, but she is not happy. I have blocked her from ever bidding on my items again. I hope it all works out for you.