New York, best city to visit of 2024

As a lifelong NYer (born, raised, and still live in Manhattan, only left for college, and a 16-month home ownership stint in RI in 2021), NYC will always be home, but I feel the same as @QuelleFromage - Paris is where I’d rather be, and where I’m happiest. The cleanliness, the neighborhood feel, and the people are also some of the things I love most about Paris. I’m there 4-5 times a year, and it’s never enough.

I was raised on the LES in the 80’s and 90’s, and my friends and I often comment that the Manhattan of today reminds us a lot of the Manhattan in which we grew up - and that is not a comparison we enjoy making. There’s no question that the pandemic changed the city, and while things are better today than they were a couple of years ago, it’s still not the same as before the pandemic. People feel angry, like noticeably, scarily angry, and when you couple that with the filth, lack of policing, and exorbitant prices, it makes you wonder. As a mixed-race woman (I’m half Caucasian, half Korean), in the post-Covid era, with anti-asian attacks still taking place, I no longer feel safe taking the subway. I’ve been taking the subway on my own since I was 12, and at 44, I can‘t do it - and I’m not generally one to be fearful of things. NYC has always had grit, but I’m telling you, it feels different now. As I read what I’m writing, my heart is breaking a bit to be talking about my city in this way. I’m not trying to scare anyone off of visiting, or even living here, because it will always be one of the greatest cities in the world, but the best city in the world to visit? Not in my humble opinion.
It is very true that there is anger in NYC toward “other”.
It was unleashed in 2016.
I was there also in the 80’s and it was a different type of situation. You were afraid someone would steal your bags not getting stabbed or insulted for being others. Although as a whitish women, I have always heard the real deal, it was behind closed doors, though.
It still has incredible museums, food and fashions.
Hopeful that the madness will end soon.

It is very true that there is anger in NYC toward “other”.
It was unleashed in 2016.
I was there also in the 80’s and it was a different type of situation. You were afraid someone would steal your bags not getting stabbed or insulted for being others. Although as a whitish women, I have always heard the real deal, it was behind closed doors, though.
It still has incredible museums, food and fashions.
Hopeful that the madness will end soon.

You‘re absolutely right. The anger towards “other” is definitely a newer phenomenon. As a child I never felt discriminated against, or out of place. Cultural/racial/religious/sexual diversity was one of the best things about growing up in NYC, and admittedly something I took for granted up until a few years ago.

I also hope that all the craziness ends soon, and that we get back to where we were, or at least continue to head in the right direction. :heart:

You‘re absolutely right. The anger towards “other” is definitely a newer phenomenon. As a child I never felt discriminated against, or out of place. Cultural/racial/religious/sexual diversity was one of the best things about growing up in NYC, and admittedly something I took for granted up until a few years ago.

I also hope that all the craziness ends soon, and that we get back to where we were, or at least continue to head in the right direction. :heart:
To give an idea of the aggression,
I recently was body slammed at the supermarket by a large woman.
Why?
Who knows?
Since I am racially ambiguous and have an accent, it could be anything.
I choose to believe that it is not personal, and maybe I offended her somehow.
She looked so angry, it was sad.

As a lifelong NYer (born, raised, and still live in Manhattan, only left for college, and a 16-month home ownership stint in RI in 2021), NYC will always be home, but I feel the same as @QuelleFromage - Paris is where I’d rather be, and where I’m happiest. The cleanliness, the neighborhood feel, and the people are also some of the things I love most about Paris. I’m there 4-5 times a year, and it’s never enough.

I was raised on the LES in the 80’s and 90’s, and my friends and I often comment that the Manhattan of today reminds us a lot of the Manhattan in which we grew up - and that is not a comparison we enjoy making. There’s no question that the pandemic changed the city, and while things are better today than they were a couple of years ago, it’s still not the same as before the pandemic. People feel angry, like noticeably, scarily angry, and when you couple that with the filth, lack of policing, and exorbitant prices, it makes you wonder. As a mixed-race woman (I’m half Caucasian, half Korean), in the post-Covid era, with anti-asian attacks still taking place, I no longer feel safe taking the subway. I’ve been taking the subway on my own since I was 12, and at 44, I can‘t do it - and I’m not generally one to be fearful of things. NYC has always had grit, but I’m telling you, it feels different now. As I read what I’m writing, my heart is breaking a bit to be talking about my city in this way. I’m not trying to scare anyone off of visiting, or even living here, because it will always be one of the greatest cities in the world, but the best city in the world to visit? Not in my humble opinion.
Truth! We always had to be cautious of our surroundings, but now there's a high level for concern. Pickpocketting, muggings, and crime in general have me on high alert when I am out. I wouldn't feel comfortable carring an expensive bag or wearing something overtly expensice without having a point a to point b plan in place. What you look like, what you wear and who you are with may make the difference.

Reactions: nycgirl79
To give an idea of the aggression,
I recently was body slammed at the supermarket by a large woman.
Why?
Who knows?
Since I am racially ambiguous and have an accent, it could be anything.
I choose to believe that it is not personal, and maybe I offended her somehow.
She looked so angry, it was sad.

I’m so sorry - that is infuriating, and scary, and can really be damaging (physically and emotionally!). I had the same exact thing happen while walking down the street, and also wondered if I had done something, when I knew for sure that I had not. It’s terrifying to see such unmasked anger in another person’s face - for seemingly no reason. And you’re absolutely right, the rage is directed towards everyone. My husband is fully Caucasian, and he has also had his share of unpleasant interactions lately. No one is immune, it seems.

Truth! We always had to be cautious of our surroundings, but now there's a high level for concern. Pickpocketting, muggings, and crime in general have me on high alert when I am out. I wouldn't feel comfortable carring an expensive bag or wearing something overtly expensice without having a point a to point b plan in place. What you look like, what you wear and who you are with may make the difference.
YES. I’ve never felt unsafe here until recently, and it’s f-ing weird as hell to feel that way. The crime levels really are concerning, and I feel the same way as you, regarding not wearing anything overtly pricy. I now reserve my nicer bags for when I’m going out with my husband, and even then I’m on high alert, and have my pepper spray ready to go.

Stay safe, ladies. :heart: