New to selling on ebay

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
I've posted before about this but I have been afraid to actually follow through. The ebay market moves so fast I don't know how to keep up.

I want to sell a couple of Coach pieces.

First off. My Paypal account... is really old. I don't have it set up to take credit cards at the moment. Do I have to change it to do that?

Is the "benefit" of selling worth it to do that?

Second, I am figuring the cost of doing business is about 15% between ebay and PP charges plus I will have to plan on getting stung a bit. I read the horror stories here, but how bad is it really?

I bought some of those Tyveck tags but I don't know where I put them.. Do I need to have that sort of thing. Most of the stuff I buy doesn't have any "if you remove it, it's yours protection." Do I need that.

I plan to start small.

Third one of the suggestions I have seen is to set up a separate Pay pal account from your own checking, just in case. Do I need to do that? Can you have two Paypal checking accounts? My current ebay account and Paypal accounts are really old ---1999, so I feel that is some benefit.

BTW the tips pages here are something like 26 pages long and I don't know how up to date they are because things change so fast.

It's a lot of confusing information.

Thank you.

1. Don't upgrade your PP for credit cards until you have to. If a buyer purchases and funds it with a credit card, the payment will show as pending and you can upgrade at that time.

It won't impact your ability to sell or the desirability of your items because buyers don't know the type of account you have. They pay as they choose, funding the payment as they choose and it's only after the payment is made that they learn that it didn't go through immediately.

If a buyer pays with a c.c., you will have to upgrade because that's part of the UA but again, I don't suggest it until you find out it's necessary. (I think it was about 2 years before I got my first c.c. payment and had to upgrade.)

2. I suggest figuring 20-25% overhead just to be safe. You may have to buy shipping and packing supplies and your time is worth something. (Considering the amount of time it takes to photograph, edit, upload to hosting site (if you do that), prepare listings, write descriptions, take measurements, answer ASQs from buyers, pack items, print labels, go to post office, etc., the time adds up.)

I've never used Tyvek labels but if you do, put them on in a place that they can't be removed and put back without being cut.

With ebay's buyer-friendly atmosphere, it's probably better to just agree to take the return should a buyer request it. IMO, they're less apt to damage your item in order to win a SNAD claim.

3. I use the my regular checking account and c.c. for PP and after receiving payments, withdraw the bulk of the balance leaving $5-$20 in the account for incidentals.

1. Don't upgrade your PP for credit cards until you have to. If a buyer purchases and funds it with a credit card, the payment will show as pending and you can upgrade at that time.

It won't impact your ability to sell or the desirability of your items because buyers don't know the type of account you have. They pay as they choose, funding the payment as they choose and it's only after the payment is made that they learn that it didn't go through immediately.

If a buyer pays with a c.c., you will have to upgrade because that's part of the UA but again, I don't suggest it until you find out it's necessary. (I think it was about 2 years before I got my first c.c. payment and had to upgrade.)

2. I suggest figuring 20-25% overhead just to be safe. You may have to buy shipping and packing supplies and your time is worth something. (Considering the amount of time it takes to photograph, edit, upload to hosting site (if you do that), prepare listings, write descriptions, take measurements, answer ASQs from buyers, pack items, print labels, go to post office, etc., the time adds up.)

I've never used Tyvek labels but if you do, put them on in a place that they can't be removed and put back without being cut.

With ebay's buyer-friendly atmosphere, it's probably better to just agree to take the return should a buyer request it. IMO, they're less apt to damage your item in order to win a SNAD claim.

3. I use the my regular checking account and c.c. for PP and after receiving payments, withdraw the bulk of the balance leaving $5-$20 in the account for incidentals.
^ Thanks BB time for me to take the deep breath and try it!

What does the CC mean anyway , does it raise fees on all auctions? I PAY that way all the time. I know it's recommended for buyers but how does it impact sellers? I suppose I could open a second PP account but this one has the merits of being so old.

PP will work with me I think because I've been a buyer for so long.

^ Thanks BB time for me to take the deep breath and try it!

What does the CC mean anyway , does it raise fees on all auctions? I PAY that way all the time. I know it's recommended for buyers but how does it impact sellers? I suppose I could open a second PP account but this one has the merits of being so old.

PP will work with me I think because I've been a buyer for so long.
It used to be that when buyers made payments using funds from either a bank transfer (echeck) or from their PP balances, there wasn't a fee charged by PP. That may have changed, though.

I believe that the fee is higher when the payment comes from a credit card.

It used to be that when buyers made payments using funds from either a bank transfer (echeck) or from their PP balances, there wasn't a fee charged by PP. That may have changed, though.

I believe that the fee is higher when the payment comes from a credit card.

Thanks.

I'll leave it as is until I have to change it.