New to Givenchy with Question about the Small Moon Cut Out Bag

Feb 23, 2014
Hello Givenchy TPF Folks!

As the title states, I am new to Givenchy and really drawn to some styles! I have a question about the Small Moon Cut Out Bag:

Some of the bags come with an additional metal chain, and some do not. Is this chain removable? The reason I ask is that I like the metal chain, but the small moon I bought (and have not yet received) does not come with the additional metal chain. I am wondering if I can buy a small moon in another color but with the same hardware and use the same chain for both bags. For reference, this is the bag I ordered that I really wish came with the additional chain strap:

1704314477401.png
I know I could choose a different Small Moon that comes with the metal chain, but I really like this color and design combo. Also, I checked the Givenchy website, and the chain strap does not appear to be sold separately. I have not seen this bag in person, but I have watched a few YouTube videos on the Small Moon and no one mentions the chain being detachable (which makes me assume that it isn't).

I am hoping that it is detachable and thank you in advance for any information on the chain strap or recommendations on the Small Moon in general! :flowers:

I might have answered my own question! :facepalm: As soon as I posted, I noticed this thread:

The first post makes it sound like the chain is detachable!!! I am going to read the entire thread and enjoy everyone's pictures! :popcorn:But any additional intel and advice are welcome and appreciated!

Reactions: papertiger
I feel like there was a similar thread to this recently. I only have the mini moon cut out and while the leather strap is removable, I don't think the chain is. Not sure if it's the same on the small size, sorry. Let us know what you find out.

Hello again, and thank you, stacy_natalie! :flowers:

After reading the entire "F/W Moon cut out shoulder bag" thread, I found out that the chain strap is not detachable. Perhaps this was a post-production realization for some members or later iterations of the bag differ from earlier models. It's too bad because an interchangeable chain strap would have been useful but perhaps not beneficial to Givenchy's profit margin or in line with their design aesthetic.

I decided to return the denim small moon. It was lovely, but adjusting the strap was very difficult. I worried about how adjusting the strap might affect the white leather over time. And then I worried about the potential rabbit hole of future purchases of different colors, materials, and strap options of this bag when I am attempting to downsize and maintain my collection. Unfortunately, I realized too late that I should have taken pictures of the bag for this post/forum before I returned it.

I will continue to enjoy everyone's lovely purchases vicariously through this forum!
Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

• Insightful
Reactions: stacy_natalie