New Light Gray...A third Parachute or Small Rete

Viaggiare

O.G.
May 9, 2007
Love this color and I have to have it. Looking for something in a similar size to the Parachute but I already have two so I am considering the small Rete or possibly the Olimpia but that seems a little too small. Any other suggestions? Are the small Rete owners happy with them?

Have you seen the new bag shown on BV site called drap calf tote? It looks beautiful and comes in the new gray. Perhaps it could be a contender along with the small rete or parachute.

I already posted my thoughts in the other thread about small Rete versus Parachute.

I know several folks here were interested in the small Rete but I don't recall how many actually took the plunge.

I've only had the large Rete but, based on that experience, I can give this perspective:

Handles: Flat and really easy to wear. I liked that they were adjustable (in my mind flat and adjustable is a pro compared to the rolled static handles of the Parachute).

Base: Some drooping because it's not a firm base. But I think the Parachute has the same.

Side clasps: If clipped, they were a hair annoying in terms of getting things out of the bag. But it gave it a nice shape. The Parachute is just structured to be tucked in.

But the ability to have the Rete open is a big plus because then it's tote-ish and you can carry larger files and papers. I've found the Parachute can't really carry bigger items well.

For some reason, even though the Rete has a wide base, it seems less so when carried. I bet the same would apply to the small Rete. The Parachute definitely wears wider, don't you think?

I think the Rete is more casual than the Parachute. I think I'm in the minority but I think of the Parachute as quite lady-like and a bit dressier. The small Rete is going to wear like a small tote, KWIM?

Where are you on this today? Thoughts on the Campana?

^ grietje, I tried searching for your comparison between the parachute and small rete but was unsuccessful. Could you please direct me....TIA

Whoops! I may have misspoke. In Diane's grey reveal thread, V asked about the small Rete. And in that post, she was thinking of the large Campana in light grey. I gave my two cents on that. And that's what I meant about my thoughts. Here's what I wrote:

"The large Campana is quite big. I'm wondering if the size would be too big for you. That's one you'll have to try on. That said, it could look spectacular in grey (like really amazing).

I think the small Rete might be too similar to the Parachute in size and proportion. But in grey and because it is different, it might be the happy medium of wanting another parachute but getting something different--KWIM?"

I offered the large Iron as another option, but V indicated she didn't like the skinny shoulder strap on that bag.

The small Rete is about 1.5 inch less deep than the Parachute with all the other dimensions being similar. I don't think I would miss that space because as you mentioned Grietje, the top opens up more and it may actually be easier to find things. I also agree that it is a bit more casual than parachute but not by much. I like that the straps are adjustable and the bag is entirely seamless on the outside. In the boutique I tried on the cervo but that bag is so floppy it would drive me crazy, plus it's just too big for every day. The large Campana was lovely in New Light Gray but sooo big - the med. Campana is too small!

So should I be considering the Sloane or small Brick. In this mix as well? I only took a brief glance at them in SF but maybe I should reconsider them....in comparison to the small Rete or Parachute?

The size of the small brick is somewhat the same as some of the others with a zipper top. It doesn't open all the way and it makes it more difficult to get things in and out. I found it does fit nicely over the shoulder and it drape nicely next to your body.

How about my favorite bag the "Bella" ? Holds wallet, 2 BV pouches, 2 pair glasses,keys and phone with room for a water bottle. The strap fits nicely on the shoulder and the cinch strap stays closed.

I just got a preloved Sloane and it's really nice. L. helped me figure out the proportions. Hold on a sec and let me see if I can find her notes.

Well, I deleted it so I have to work from memory.
Sloane and parachute are similar in size and scale.
Parachute is obviously easier to get in to.
I know she was really close on which one she preferred.
Parachute weighs just a hair more, I think.

I'd look at the Sloane. It's a dressier hobo. But I will say this, the overlapping flaps are taking me a bit getting used to.

Last edited:
Thanks, food for thought. I think I know what you mean about the Sloane flaps. I am so used to easy access with the Parachute I can see that would be an adjustment. On the BV website I can see the dimensions and the Sloane is several inches longer than the Parachute. It is a pretty bag.

As for the Bella...I look at that one every time and it just reminds me of a brief case type bag and the straps seems fussy for me. I know, I know, I am am over- analyzing but for something that I use all day, every day I don't want fussiness :smile:

I think you're right. It's pricy so I want to be sure I've considered the alternatives before I plunk down the same cost of my first new car in 1980! I think through process of elimination the Small Rete might be it.

The small rete is smaller than the parachute, and I find my stuffs easily spill out from the small rete. It looks very cute though but you have to carry less than with parachute.

So bought the Small Rete yesterday in SF and I really like it. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a third Parachute and by process of elimination the Rete is the next best thing. It holds just as much as the Parachute: continental wallet, small cos. bag, iPhone, eyeglass case, iPad and Kindle...not that I always carry those last two but it's good to know they will fit. Thinking of getting a lanyard to secure my wallet. Anyway, I love the color and this will be a nice addition. While there I tried on the new woven cervo metallic gray hobos. Not as floppy as the regular cervo's but still too big for me.