New foundation recs?

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
Hi, all. I need help picking out a new foundation. I am satisfied with most of my makeup--brushes, lipstick, eye makeup but have yet to find a foundation that is "the one". I am almost running out of Giorgio Armani's luminous silk foundation and feel like the only person out there that really didn't like it that much. I couldn't get enough coverage from it, I felt like I had to use half of the bottle to layer on enough to cover any skincare flaws, like a pimple. It was just too sheer for my liking.

On the other hand, I tried Estee Lauder's doublewear foundation and felt like i was wearing a pancake mask, it was a little too thick and for the price, not very soft feeling (felt kind of harsh) at all if that makes any sense...the texture was not nice, to me.

So I guess I am looking for a nice medium coverage foundation in a shade that matches my skin tone (I have light skin), any recommendations? TIA. :smile:

I used Armani Luminous Silk for quite some time and never loved it that much. I also used another armani formula. I don't know if you would consider a drug store brand but you might be surprised. The challenge is to find the right color without testers or sales help. But I'm fair and have been using wet n wild photofocus in nude ivory lately. It's light to medium coverage and a good match for my skin tone.

Right now I'm in love with Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serium Foundation SPF 40. Other than the weird applicator, everything else is wonderful.

This foundation is medium coverage, glides on like lotion. Doesn't dry out skin, and my skin looks/ feels moisturized after application. There are so many shades available, you're sure to find one that suits you.

Highly recommend.

Makeup Forever is my HG. I use their matte foundation (since most other foundations make my skin oily) and it has amazing coverage even when only applying a thin layer. They also have a non-matte line which I’ve heard equally positive reviews about. The range of colors is pretty large; I personally buy two shades and mix them depending on fluctuations in my tan-ness during the year.

You need a good concealer for covering a pimple, most foundation isn't going to cover a blemish well on its own unless it's very heavy coverage like the Estee Lauder one you didn't like. I'd suggest going to a store like Ulta where you can try a lot of different brand products, get assistance from someone, and pick your color match.

I just started using Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation after not using it for a while, and I really like it. I tried Clinique and a few others but came back came back to this brand. It goes on very easily and does not feel like pancake makeup at all. The coverage is also good without looking overdone. I know Ulta carries it or you can purchase directly from Tarte.

Last edited:
I'm really into YSL Touche Eclat All In One Glow. It's hydrating and covers imperfections quite well without settling into pores/lines. Wet n Wild's Photo Focus foundation is also nice as it's super lightweight and makes skin look pretty much flawless. Color selection can be a little tricky, though.

I just started using Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation after not using it for a while, and I really like it. I tried Clinique and a few others but came back came back to this brand. It goes on very easily and does not feel like pancake makeup at all. The coverage is also good without looking overdone. I know Ulta carries it or you can purchase directly from Tarte.

I second this. I started using it about a month ago and really like it. It’s got a nice matte finish but it doesn’t look like you’ve caked on powder. It goes on really smoothly too.

I always go back to chanel vitalumier aqua foundation. I have fair skin prone to redness with dry skin but slightly oily t zone. This foundation is medium coverage slightly dewy but not greasy and almost never gets icky in dry skin patches. I was matched at Nordstroms chanel counter 2 years ago. The wand undereye concealer is great too.

Hi, all. I need help picking out a new foundation. I am satisfied with most of my makeup--brushes, lipstick, eye makeup but have yet to find a foundation that is "the one". I am almost running out of Giorgio Armani's luminous silk foundation and feel like the only person out there that really didn't like it that much. I couldn't get enough coverage from it, I felt like I had to use half of the bottle to layer on enough to cover any skincare flaws, like a pimple. It was just too sheer for my liking.

On the other hand, I tried Estee Lauder's doublewear foundation and felt like i was wearing a pancake mask, it was a llittle too thick and for the price, not very soft feeling (felt kind of harsh) at all if that makes any sense...the texture was not nice, to me.

So I guess I am looking for a nice medium coverage foundation in a shade that matches my skin tone (I have light skin), any recommendations? TIA. :smile:

Interesting 'lack of coverage' feedback with Giorgio Armani's luminous silk foundation. I've used it on a couple of shows and the coverage was great along with the application, which was very smooth. Still one of my fav foundations out there. And I agree with Estee Lauder's double wear, I felt the texture was too 'grabby' for me as well, as in difficult to blend, for a liquid!

Good rec's from the rest of the thread. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations in a liquid, (I usually use creme based foundations), but I don't think you're looking for that.