New exhibit of Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera belongings to open in Mexico

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Wed Jul 4, 9:37 PM ET

MEXICO CITY (AFP) - Scores of belongings of Mexican painters Frida Kahlo and her husband Diego Rivera will go on exhibit for the first time Friday, after being locked away in boxes for 50 years, a museum said Thursday.
The exhibit includes the first two photographs taken and signed by Kahlo and a never-before-seen painting from Rivera's first impressionist era, said La Casa Azul, Kahlo's home south of Mexico City which was turned into a museum after her death.
The intimate show coincides with the 100th anniversary of Kahlo's birth and 50th anniversary of Rivera's death, said Ricardo Perez Escamilla, who is in charge of the exhibit.
The objects shown are merely "the tip of the iceberg," he said, adding that the locked boxes were opened in 2002 and their contents catalogued since.
Inside were found 2,105 documents, 5,387 photographs, 2,874 magazines and publications, 2,170 books and dozens of drawings and personal objects including letters, clothes and toys.
Perez Escamilla said the boxes were kept sealed for 50 years at Rivera's request.
"One one hand," said the museum official, Kahlo and Rivera "were not interested in disclosing very personal situations that went beyond the moral conventions (of their time) ... but another significant reason was that much of the material was not museum-worthy."
Kahlo (1907-1954), who mixed the real and surreal with daring and frankness in her work, twice married Rivera (1886-1957), the fabled Cubist and muralist, and was a close friend of Russian communist leader Leon Trotsky.
She suffered intense emotional pain inflicted by the philandering Rivera and physical pain after being stricken by polio and injured in a bus crash.
One of photographs that will go on exhibit Friday shows Kahlo holding a toy truck and a doll, illustrating the crippling bus accident she suffered as a young woman that changed her life.
The exhibition, entitled "Treasures of La Caza Azul, Frida and Diego," will run through September 30.

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/lifestylemexicoartpaintingkahlorivera;_ylt=An1R4fGNrU7Z8Ym4I5RQmKp.KcMA)

2007_07_04t214002_450x319_us_mexico.jpg

2007_07_04t214019_450x339_us_mexico.jpg

2007_07_04t214012_450x320_us_mexico.jpg

2007_07_04t214028_450x318_us_mexico.jpg

What a great reason to go to Mex City -- that woman was a force of nature -- still remember seeing her house years ago -- such a magical person !! Thanks for posting this.

capt-77.jpg

capt-78.jpg

Puppets apparently made by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo sit on display during a preview tour of the new exhibition, 'Treasures of the Blue House, Frida and Diego,' at the Casa Azul Museum in Mexico City.

capt-79.jpg

In this undated photo released by the Frida Kahlo Museum on Thursday, June 28, 2007, Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, right, is seen embracing an unidentified friend. Photographer is unknown.

capt-80.jpg

In this undated photo released by the Frida Kahlo Museum, Frida Kahlo, right, is seen with the former wife of Diego Rivera, Guadalupe Marin. The photograph was folded in half.

thanks for posting. i would love to be able to go, one of my lecturers was there for the preview and he emailed me to tell me how much i would love it! im so jealous.