New Canvas. Experiences/Info/Opinions Please

DznrBagLvr

Jan 8, 2012
I saw the Metis in person and while I am not sure what I think of the design yet, I was blown away by the canvas(if it matters, it was MIF). The canvas felt almost "sticky," a little like soft leather..maybe rubbery? I'm not sure. All I know is that it was VERY different from my MIF delightful that I was carrying and any of my other canvas bags, both mono and damier.

Did anyone else notice this? Is It just me? Was it just this particular métis?

** I do not intend for this thread to be negative or about the style of the bag. I actually think the Metis may grow on me and I may end up with one lol! I am just really curious about a "new" canvas.**

Some have commented that this is a new, lightweight canvas? Can anyone confirm this info or provide further details. Will canvas bags now be made like this? What are your thoughts? Thanks for sharing!

I know what you mean about the canvas feeling almost sticky, my mini pochette has this same feel to the canvas. I really don't like the feel of it, but I still use it in my bigger bags. I do believe that LV has different types of canvas for some of their items.

I think there was someone who said they had pre-ordered the Metis but were seriously let down when they felt the canvas. They also said it felt different than other canvases. Maybe a quality control/ construction issue. Bummer because I do like the style (the pouchette looking one, that is).

I tried this bag on recently and I LOVE it. The canvas did feel lighter and was smooshy rather than stiff but I really like that. I did NOT however feel the sticky feel that several people have mentioned. It felt normal to me.

I will be buying this bag :cool:

LV bags used to be much more "structured". I don't think the thicker canvas would fair as well with the more modern "hobo" and "squishy" types of bags. Do I think LV is cutter corners? Yes. But I also think the thinner canvas is necessary on lots of newer styles.

i would also guess that the thinner canvas is lighter? just used my tivoli gm today and it is heavier to carry than my speedy. maybe lighter is good? just hope it wears ok. and not sure about sticky....