Need your opinion: Black Hardware or Gold Hardware Jumbo Classic Flap

Jun 22, 2008
I am in the market for a black Jumbo Classic Flap. But can’t decide whether I should get one with Black Hardware Lambskin or Gold Hardware Caviar.

I love So Black bags and have three in my collection. Collecting Chanel bags with black hardware has become my “thing” recently. Also, it suits my sleek and clean all black aesthetic/style. I am looking at the So Black Jumbo from 20S which has shiny aged lambskin leather. The con is the insane price which is now at $7,600 plus tax! It was only $6,600 plus tax before the increase - I should have bought it back then!

Because of the price increase, I am looking to settle with a Jumbo Caviar with gold hardware. I don’t have that much Chanel bags with Gold hardware - I usually go for silver, ruthenium or black hardware. Recently, I’ve also been fond of the current trend: yellow gold jewelry + Revolve + neutral sweatshirt and pants kind of style (LOL I KNOW) so this bag could definitely match this “aesthetic”. Also, I feel like gold hardware on classic flap has a timeless look so this bag would definitely stand the test of time. And it’s also caviar so it’s more durable.

So anyway...

Should I get the So Black Classic Flap Jumbo even if the price is crazy as hell after the increase? Plus, I am worried that the shiny aged lambskin will not age well and also worried about chipping and fading on the black hardware - I just had a frustrating experience with my new So Black Coco Handle which I had replaced 3x because of all the flaws including chipping FYI.

Or should I get the Classic Flap Jumbo in caviar with gold hardware? It is more practical and has a more timeless look even though it’s the most common combination on classic flaps. I won’t have to worry about it being out of style when I am older. And the leather is caviar! More durable!

My heart currently wants the So Black Jumbo, but my head tells me it’s more practical to get the Caviar + GHW jumbo.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsPurseonal
The caviar is important. When I was deciding for mine, I saw the lambskin ones in store already had small fingernail marks etched into the lambskin from other customers - they are very fragile!

Love the sound of the black, it is unique, but the gold will always be a classic like you say :smile: you can wear it for years to come!

The caviar is important. When I was deciding for mine, I saw the lambskin ones in store already had small fingernail marks etched into the lambskin from other customers - they are very fragile!

Love the sound of the black, it is unique, but the gold will always be a classic like you say :smile: you can wear it for years to come!
Yes, right now I am leaning towards the caviar + gold hardware combo because it has a more timeless look than the So Black. And I have 3 other So Black bags anyway - might as well diversify my collection.

Reactions: Shanneo
@sparklywacky we are on the same style wavelength! I would normally say to get what your heart loves, but in this case, I prefer so black in the reissue style - much edgier and works better with aged calfskin/bijou chain. If you're set on a classic flap, my vote is the GHW.

Thanks guys - I’m still torn and haven’t made a choice. The So Black is very unique and stunning IRL while the Caviar with GHW is a classic piece. This purchase is going to be quite special because it could be my last Chanel purchase for a while as I am getting fed up with the poor quality and crazy price increases. Whichever jumbo classic flap I get in the end will complete my Chanel family!

I’ll give everyone an update and please do keep the opinions coming!

It sounds like you actually want the so black, get what makes your heart happy! You said AGED lambskin not regular lambskin, which sounds similar to the leather used on the Chanel 19 bag last year (before they switched to goatskin). From what YTer Fashionably Amy said, her lambskin 19 bag has been fairly low maintenance. So I wouldn’t worry about the leather.

I have a GHW caviar jumbo and I rarely use it (I like my non-classics best: the maxi blizzard flap, chevron caviar coco handle). Yes a GHW caviar jumbo is classic, but none of that matters if you aren’t feeling it.

Reactions: Datenightalone
I have the shiny crumbled calf 20s jumbo so black. No Real issues yet but I do have two tiny scratches that tbh I’m not sure if it came with. I will be getting them buffed out by chanel.
However I am obsessed with this bag and tortured my SA in quarantine so I got it before the increase. I thought the increase would be to 7100 not 76!!

, I am looking to settle with a Jumbo Caviar with gold hardware. I don’t have that much Chanel bags with Gold hardware - I usually go for silver, ruthenium or black hardware.
Do not settle. It’s very expensive when you decide gold hw on a bag you own that cost you $$$$ is not your taste. JMO :smile:

Reactions: NowVoyager
Get the So Black Classic Flap Jumbo! The shiny lamb is stunning and it clearly has you smitten. You can always get a classic flap with GHW, while the so black may not be available in this combination. The price increase hurts for sure, but there will always be another one and you will kick yourself if you miss out again! I have a so black reissue from 2018 and have had no problems with the hardware.

I have a caviar Jumbo, double flap, black, silver hardware. This bag is a beauty. I have had it for four years and it looks new. Caviar is very durable and holds its shape so well. I would get the caviar...

I prefere the So Black Jumbo, I have one and I am so happy I opted for black HWR instead of the gold-tone one. However, on a smaller bag, like medium flap, I would pick gold.