Need tips on darkening hair without damaging

Roxana

♥'s dogs & bags
O.G.
Feb 27, 2007
Hey girls,

I thought I could maybe search for some handy tips around here about coloring your hair.

The thing is, my hair gets damaged really easily, if I paint/color it once with a real colorproduct it will break/frizz so much sooner that I try to avoid it, because I really want to keep longer hair.
But at the same time, I really want a darker shade. I have a hazelnut brown color and use a black henna shampoo sometimes. Although it helps a tiny bit, I would like to a bit more difference.

So.. any tips on how to darken my hair in the most friendly way?
Maybe someone knows good henna products (that would work better than mine)?

Thank you so much in advance! :flowers:

Have you tried any of the "semi-permanent" hair colors, ie: Clairol Natural Instincts....can you get those in Europe? I have used it before and my hair feels great after I use it. They don't have ammonia and either very little or no peroxide.....

^yes, when I ever do color it, I use the semi permanent ones. They always say no ammonia or peroxide, but then it always contains the other one they say they don't have..
strangely they are usually pretty permanent on my hair... and it does always feel great after using it, but then after a few weeks the damage will be noticable. I have used Casting by L'oreal, but after a long time, there is a reddish hue over my hair, which I also don't particularly like.

Hmmm....I feel your pain because I change my hair color like it's a bodily function.....my hair (luckily) is pretty resilient and afterward I deep-condition the crap out of it. Also, I don't use heat styling on a daily basis, so that helps.....let me do some digging for ya and if I find anything, I'll post it.

^ Thank you! Oh I'm so jealous of your hair! My friend has the same, she can paint or make it blonder every other weeks and it still looks shiny and gorgious :Push:

The only way to get it noticeably darker is going to be to color it. The least harsh are the ones like Natural Instincts, Garnier Herbashine, and L'Oreal Healthy Look. They do all contain some peroxide, but no ammonia.

Hair breakage suggests needing protein. I would suggest using a protein treatment immediately before you color, like Aphogee 2-step (if you can find that in Europe, in the US it is sold at Sally Beauty Supply). Don't use it after coloring because it'll strip your color. After coloring just stick with a nice gentle shampoo and deep condition at least 1-2 times per week.

You can also try looking for dark brown henna, which is 100% herbal and should not damage your hair. It is a more intensive process than bottle color but I think it might be what you're looking for. This website has a lot of information, including what colors can be achieved and what brands are best to purchase:
http://www.hennaforhair.com/

thanks, I will try to look for that Aphogee, I never heard of it!

I agree, I think henna would be the best, but unfortunately I can't seem to find them in the stores a lot... I will try and look some more.

If anyone knows a good online store (preferably EU) I'd love to hear!!

I would just keep using semi-perm dye. Do you get regular trims? You cannot repair damaged ends, the only way to fix it is to cut. How often do you use heat styling tools, how often do you wash your hair? What products do you use?

Yeah I know what you mean. I do get the ends trimmed regularly.
And that's why I hardly use heat styling tools and wash less often as before. It really helps, my hair has been more healthy than it was years ago.
But still if I go and dye it again regularly it will be as damaged as before, and I really want to avoid that or find a better/softer product.

Unless you're using natural henna (which makes your hair very reddish orange) then the color enhanced hennas are just as bad for your hair as any other hair dye. At some Indian hair salons i've seen them use "Bigen" hair color which is supposed to be permanent and not too rough for your hair. I have never personally used it to attest to it but you could give it a shot if you're able to find some at a salon in your area. Its used in a lot of Asian countries.

What other hair products do you use? Your hair could be breaking also from a bad combination of hair color plus shampoo/conditioner and whatever other products you may use. If your hair breaks a lot, you probably could help it with other things like taking some vitamin E pills and I usually once a month mix 1 egg, some plain yogurt and a little lemon juice (yes it stinkss!!!) and make a conditioner out of it and leave it in my hair for an hour. It leaves it really soft and shiny.