Need recommendation for a swingpack, crossbody or file bag

essellgee

Dec 17, 2009
Hey everyone! I need a small/midsize bag that I can tote around comfortably when I'm traveling overseas. I will be traveling with two small children, so "hands free" is essential. I was thinking of a swingpack, but most of them seem pretty small. I need to carry a wallet, keys, phone, and maybe one or two other small things. I prefer all-leather bags. Can anyone recommend some styles to look at?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sarah

I looked at the poppy leather hippie yesterday, in silver/ gunmetal . It is a little bigger than the swingpack. I ended up getting the swingpack though in the same color . Also check out the poppy Groovy .

Kristin Hippie! It's small but bigger than a swingpack, and you can carry it over your shoulder or crossbody. I can fit two small wristlets, my blackberry, cell, keys, and very small cosmetic pouch. I have 3 already. Here's an old thread where I posted some pics of what I could fit in my Mushroom Hippie, and comparison pics with the small Kristin hobo and a Poppy Groovy.

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/small-kristin-hippie-reveal-and-comparison-pics-668577-2.html

ETA: There are a couple of new colors just out in the Kristin Hippie -- coral (regular leather) and a pretty blue with silver hardware. And I think you can still get plum, mushroom, brown, and the ballet pink.

I have a question about the Kristins. How does the latch work? Is it secure? I notice there's no zipper closing, just the flap and latch and I want to make sure it wouldn't be a pickpocket risk in Europe :smile: Sorry about all the questions, I don't live near a Coach store or outlet.

I have a question about the Kristins. How does the latch work? Is it secure? I notice there's no zipper closing, just the flap and latch and I want to make sure it wouldn't be a pickpocket risk in Europe :smile: Sorry about all the questions, I don't live near a Coach store or outlet.

The latch is fairly secure, the metal clasp has a round hole in it that fits over a metal "button" on the flap itself. Not as good as a zipper probably, but the flap itself makes it harder to get into the bag without pulling it up, even after you get the clasp undone.

The latch is fairly secure, the metal clasp has a round hole in it that fits over a metal "button" on the flap itself. Not as good as a zipper probably, but the flap itself makes it harder to get into the bag without pulling it up, even after you get the clasp undone.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful. Sarah

Ooh, thanks for the recommendations, ladies! I really, really like the Kristin in metalic, blue or mushroom. How to decide! I'll also check out the Poppy groovey.
I have the Poppy hippie and the groovy. I would recommend the groovy because it has the extra pocket which is very handy. The Kristin hippie has the extra pocket too but it doesn't zip like the groovy, and you have to open the whole purse to access the pocket. I have the larger Kristin and the short strap is very comfortable, but the longer strap is thin and stiff and not as comfortable. They have changed the groovy. The old ones had a cloth longer strap, which didn't look as nice, but was very comfortable. I don't know how comfortable the new straps are, but they look more comfortable than the Kristin's. The new groovy doesn't come in regular leather though. The older ones did. So for looks, you would probably like the Kristin better, but for security and comfort, the groovy is better.
For leather, the Madison swingpacks look very pretty. There is a Poppy leather swingpack that zips closed and has an additional zip pocket. But both the Madison and Poppy swingpacks are smaller than the others and don't have a short strap option.
I know that people always want a swingpack for traveling, but in my experience, when I travel, I always carry more than I do regularly, so most swingpacks are very small. I like to be able to fit a water bottle inside. And with two small children, you will have to carry wipes and maybe other things for the kids.

I know you prefer leather, as do I, but the Groovy is pretty much ideal for travel. I have a black and white Ski Bunny Groovy I take when we travel, it looks sort of Chanel-inspired so it's seasonless, IMO.

picture.php

I like that style because of the front zipper pocket - some of the other styles have the two button pockets and I always think they look like little eyes :biggrin:

You can find quite a few of the older styles on ebay. It's a good bag to try a fun pattern in, but you can find the leather ones too.

Good luck!

If you're willing to consider a bit older style, you might want to look in to the Parker or Madison Hippies.. There is currently a MFF version at the outlets. Depending on the size you get, it can be rather large, can be worn crossbody.
Here is a picture of one of mine:
picture.php

Have you checked out the MADISON LEATHER HAILEY? It has both a shoulder strap and a crossbody strap. Or the MADISON LEATHER CONVERTIBLE HOBO? They are a bit bigger than the the others listed but IMO I'd rather have extra room than not enough when traveling. I've also seen this leather poppy hippie it only comes in this color(I asked coach CS if they were making it in any other colors) but it is a little bit bigger than the other poppy swingpacks. It also feels like suede it's very soft/fun to touch. http://www.dillards.com/product/COACH-POPPY-LEATHER-HIPPIE_301_-1_663_502962592

I have the Poppy hippie and the groovy. I would recommend the groovy because it has the extra pocket which is very handy. The Kristin hippie has the extra pocket too but it doesn't zip like the groovy, and you have to open the whole purse to access the pocket. I have the larger Kristin and the short strap is very comfortable, but the longer strap is thin and stiff and not as comfortable. They have changed the groovy. The old ones had a cloth longer strap, which didn't look as nice, but was very comfortable. I don't know how comfortable the new straps are, but they look more comfortable than the Kristin's. The new groovy doesn't come in regular leather though. The older ones did. So for looks, you would probably like the Kristin better, but for security and comfort, the groovy is better.
For leather, the Madison swingpacks look very pretty. There is a Poppy leather swingpack that zips closed and has an additional zip pocket. But both the Madison and Poppy swingpacks are smaller than the others and don't have a short strap option.
I know that people always want a swingpack for traveling, but in my experience, when I travel, I always carry more than I do regularly, so most swingpacks are very small. I like to be able to fit a water bottle inside. And with two small children, you will have to carry wipes and maybe other things for the kids.

Whateve, thanks for your reply. Thanks for steering me in the direction of the Poppy groovy - I'll take a look, maybe at the older ones in leather. I definitely want a small bag. I carry a diaper bag with all my kids stuff, and I've found that it's good to carry a small bag with valuables in it. That way I'm not worried about leaving the diaper bag with the pram if I'm running around at the playground with the girls. If you have a big bag you're tempted to put it down and it becomes a security issue.