Need help with SLS free shampoo

Heidichu

Jun 24, 2009
I recently went out and purchased Burt's Bees' Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet shampoo and conditioner. As others have mentioned, Burt's Bees shampoos really fail to meet expectations. I ended up having to use an unbelievable amount of shampoo to completely cover my head, and once I rinsed it off my hair felt like straw. I used the conditioner after and it hardly made a difference. My hair was still tangled and it just felt dry. I used the duo for about 2 weeks with spotty results. I usually love Burt's Bees, but their hair care line really needs a makeover.

Maybe you guys can help me. Right now I'm using Mario Badescu's Egg Shampoo (which does contain sulfates) and their Hair Rinsing Conditioner. They're ok, but I'd like to see better results. My hair is naturally wavy (has been chemically straightened in the past, but it's been about 3 years), it's long, it frizzes easily (I live in Florida, once the humidity hits it, poof!), and most frustrating of all, it gets oily pretty fast. I usually have 2 days before it starts to look genuinely gross. I need a shampoo that reduces oily build-up and controls frizz without containing any harmful chemicals. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you :smile:

Wow! You sure do want a lot from your shampoo!

I uses SLS free shampoos... many of them can be drying. Right now, I'm still looking for the right one... I am thinking of trying Giovanni next.

I know a lot of wavy/curly gilrs (I'm one too) love Ojon... I have not yet taken that plunge, but am considering it.

I bought Frizz yesterday at Sephora so I guess the "frizz reducing" part of my request is no longer important. I just need a shampoo that can balance the oiliness and not contain any harmful chems. Is that so much to ask for? :s

After all the trials and errors!!!
My fav is Aubrey Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo!!
I only have to use a tiny amount, which produces a rich, abundant lather. I really feel like it cleans my scalp thoroughly without stripping my hair. And, I love the smell.

I use Vinegar+Water instead of conditioner because of my oily hair. My hair is silky as ever! (feel heavy when I use conditioner)

* Buy a spray bottle, pour some vinegar(one shot glass) and fill up the bottle with water, spray all over your hair (make sure you close your eyes) massage gently(No fingernails pl)...don't forget the scalp!! leave it for 1 min then wash with cool water,
Leave the bottle in the washroom so you don't have to make it every time you wash your hair*

Hope this helps~~

Wow, thank you guys so much! I can't wait to try that vinegar treatment. I haven't tried Pureology, I thought it was only for color treated hair. And I was thinking of getting into the Aubrey line. I'll give it a try.

Giovanni is a God send. I have used it for a couple of years now. It lathers great and leaves my hair clean. Their conditioner is also really good. I have used their 50/50 Balanced Shampoo and Conditioner and Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo and Conditioner. I have long, really thick hair and it cleans it with no problem.

I stopped by Whole Foods yesterday in search of the Aubrey shampoo and was able to find it alright, but I wasn't able to get my hands on their cream rinse. The sales person told me I'd have to order out from the company. So I ended up buying Jason's Tea tree shampoo instead. It seems to work well. My hair is pretty soft and it definitely has tea tree oil in it, I smelt it right off the bat. I think it's meant for dandruff though, but it works pretty well for now. We'll see in the long run how it stands. I'm going to try the vinegar + water solution that was suggested. Can't wait! :smile:

I really like Brocoto Clound 9 Miracle Repair Shampoo, and I've been using L'Oreal EverPure lately as well. Don't pay attention to the "for color-treated hair" label, it just means it won't strip color/cause fading IF your hair is colored. It's fine for virgin hair. =)

Giovanni is a God send. I have used it for a couple of years now. It lathers great and leaves my hair clean. Their conditioner is also really good. I have used their 50/50 Balanced Shampoo and Conditioner and Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo and Conditioner. I have long, really thick hair and it cleans it with no problem.

I second Giovanni products! They're sulfate-free and really work. I use the 50-50 Balanced Shampoo and the Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture. You can get them as Whole Foods, Sprouts, Target, etc.

I second Giovanni products! They're sulfate-free and really work. I use the 50-50 Balanced Shampoo and the Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture. You can get them as Whole Foods, Sprouts, Target, etc.
x3! No silicone, no sulfates! Sulfates are so drying. I like most Giovanni a lot (love the 50:50 shampoo), I also love Aubrey Organics conditioners, although I havent tried their shampoos since most Aubrey 'poos have proteins - my hair is senstive to protein, it makes it all dry and crispy. I dont think you can go wrong with Giovanni though.

Terax Miele is my favorite SLS free shampoo - it's light and moisturizing enough to help combat frizz, but not too much (I hate shampoos that over-coat the hair shaft).