Need help picking a messenger bag

DH sucker

O.G.
Jan 19, 2013
Reaching out to the wonderful H aficionados whose collective knowledge on here has been so helpful over the years.

I’m considering getting a messenger bag to hold some large files. While I like the Steve, I don’t think it’ll be able to hold the voluminous docs/files that I typically carry around. I’m hoping to get some suggestions, as I’m not terribly familiar with the range of models past and present. I’m definitely open to buying pre-loved, and I’m open to leather and non-leather options. Size/volume is the biggest factor. Prefer messenger and cross-body bags. Not interested in backpacks.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

From the way you describe your requirements, the original Steve presents itself as the obvious choice.
I repeat, that is the original version, not the smaller Steve Caporal or the current incarnation.

Reactions: DH sucker
You may also wish to look at the Etrivere II 38 - there's a version with shoulder strap which is otherwise fairly slim, so if you only really want to house files without having a huge bag, it may work.

Otherwise, as WhiteBus said, the Original Steve in 35 or 38 (those these are pretty deep and bulky but have lots of compartments inside!) and also the Citynews 39 could be an option, which is a little more corporate.

The Citynews is the only model that is current, so likely to have more colour options to chose from, although as from the mens range, not the most rock'n'roll of colours!
00pp-hermes-etriviere-belt-small-model-shoulder-bag-in-burgundy-leather-taurillon-clemence-and...jpg53238_8_master.jpghermes-citynews-briefcase--076624CBAA-front-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg

From the way you describe your requirements, the original Steve presents itself as the obvious choice.
I repeat, that is the original version, not the smaller Steve Caporal or the current incarnation.
Thank you WhiteBus for your detailed PMs! Holy cow - you gave me so much info, and now I have hours of homework to do. It’s folks like you that make this community so amazing and invaluable.

You may also wish to look at the Etrivere II 38 - there's a version with shoulder strap which is otherwise fairly slim, so if you only really want to house files without having a huge bag, it may work.

Otherwise, as WhiteBus said, the Original Steve in 35 or 38 (those these are pretty deep and bulky but have lots of compartments inside!) and also the Citynews 39 could be an option, which is a little more corporate.

The Citynews is the only model that is current, so likely to have more colour options to chose from, although as from the mens range, not the most rock'n'roll of colours!
View attachment 5065635View attachment 5065636View attachment 5065637
Thanks, FreddieMac! I just googled the City News, and it looks like the depth is 3.5 inches. Per Google, the Steve is 4 inches deep. Too bad the City News isn’t the bigger of the two, as this tells me I might have to go the reseller route (and I would have preferred to buy new at the boutique). Sigh.

Reactions: FreddieMac
Thanks, FreddieMac! I just googled the City News, and it looks like the depth is 3.5 inches. Per Google, the Steve is 4 inches deep. Too bad the City News isn’t the bigger of the two, as this tells me I might have to go the reseller route (and I would have preferred to buy new at the boutique). Sigh.

No trouble! It’s worth remembering the Steve’s depth includes a front pocket which is roomy, but won’t take A4/files and the compartment for that is also split with an iPad/notebook sun-compartment.

Might still be worth checking out the News in store to see how it works.

I’ll also see if I can dig out some pictures of the inside of my old Steve.

Reactions: DH sucker
Found my old Steve pics! Hopefully these help you get a better feel for the space inside - lots of handy compartments but none super roomy. A4 paper/files fit in the main compartment.

From front of bag to back, it has: large front pocket, zipper pocket within main compartment, main compartment, iPad/Notebook patch pocket within main compartment, slip pocket against back on bag.
IMG_3750.jpegIMG_3751.jpegIMG_3752.jpegIMG_3762.jpegIMG_3764.jpeg

Found my old Steve pics! Hopefully these help you get a better feel for the space inside - lots of handy compartments but none super roomy. A4 paper/files fit in the main compartment.

From front of bag to back, it has: large front pocket, zipper pocket within main compartment, main compartment, iPad/Notebook patch pocket within main compartment, slip pocket against back on bag.
View attachment 5065829View attachment 5065832View attachment 5065833View attachment 5065835View attachment 5065838

such a beautiful bag! what leather is that?

Reactions: FreddieMac