Need help figuring out which styling products to use & how

pmburk

O.G.
Jul 10, 2008
Okay, I think I need some help figuring out my hair styling routine. My hair is short, but extremely thick and coarse, with a tendency to be dry. I've also been having a problem with breakage, so I've done a protein treatment, changed shampoo & conditioner, and am being more cautious with my heat styling.

I feel like I'm using too many styling products, and not getting the end result I want. Here is my current routine: wash/condition & towel dry, rub a dab of Aquelle Lusterizer cream through hair, then rub a dab of Matrix Sleek styling cream through hair. Blowdry with fingers & round ceramic brush. Apply another blob of Lusterizer, then spray Chi Iron Guard through hair. Let dry, flat iron, then use hairspray.

So, total I'm using:
- Aquelle Lusterizer cream for shine, heat protection, frizz control
- Matrix Sleek styling cream to help straighten
- Chi Iron Guard for heat protection

I like all of these products okay, but in the end I feel like I'm applying too many things too many times, and my hair still isn't sleek and glossy. So, I'm looking for advice on what products to use, and what sequence to use them in.

I know I need something for heat protection and something for shine/conditioning. I feel like if I'm using the Iron Guard, I can drop the Matrix cream, since the Iron Guard has enough hold on its own. Should I drop the Lusterizer & the Sleek Styling Cream, and just use something like Chi Silk Infusion or Biosilk, combined with the Chi Iron Guard, and be done with it? I would love to hear what you ladies use, and what your suggestions are.

Sorry this is so long!

Okay, I think I need some help figuring out my hair styling routine. My hair is short, but extremely thick and coarse, with a tendency to be dry. I've also been having a problem with breakage, so I've done a protein treatment, changed shampoo & conditioner, and am being more cautious with my heat styling.

I feel like I'm using too many styling products, and not getting the end result I want. Here is my current routine: wash/condition & towel dry, rub a dab of Aquelle Lusterizer cream through hair, then rub a dab of Matrix Sleek styling cream through hair. Blowdry with fingers & round ceramic brush. Apply another blob of Lusterizer, then spray Chi Iron Guard through hair. Let dry, flat iron, then use hairspray.

So, total I'm using:
- Aquelle Lusterizer cream for shine, heat protection, frizz control
- Matrix Sleek styling cream to help straighten
- Chi Iron Guard for heat protection

I like all of these products okay, but in the end I feel like I'm applying too many things too many times, and my hair still isn't sleek and glossy. So, I'm looking for advice on what products to use, and what sequence to use them in.

I know I need something for heat protection and something for shine/conditioning. I feel like if I'm using the Iron Guard, I can drop the Matrix cream, since the Iron Guard has enough hold on its own. Should I drop the Lusterizer & the Sleek Styling Cream, and just use something like Chi Silk Infusion or Biosilk, combined with the Chi Iron Guard, and be done with it? I would love to hear what you ladies use, and what your suggestions are.

Sorry this is so long!

Yesterday I blow dried my hair then used a curling iron and it seemed like my hair was a bit more smoother and frizz free. I used Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer spray, Giovanni frizz be gone, and pure coconut oil. I sprayed the heat tamer spray all over, used about a dime size of the Giovanni frizz be gone, and then just a tiny bit of pure coconut oil. If you go overboard with the coconut oil, your hair will be greasy.

Thanks for the tip!

I picked up the Chi Silk Infusion at lunch today. I think I'm going to try just using that only, before blowdrying, and see how my hair turns out.

The Chi Iron Guard just makes my hair too stiff and crunchy, and it actually seems to make the iron hard to pull through my hair. I think I'm going to try retiring that and the Matrix Sleek cream.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Tresemme heat spray!