Need help ~ Complete make up newb

rx7girliegirl

*:newbie:*
Oct 17, 2008
Hi everyone ~ I was wondering if I can get some suggestions. I've never really used make up and I'm not really sure how to apply it either. I'm 27 years old and my mom has been telling me that I would look a bit more professional going to work if I apply a little bit of make up - just to help with my complexion and to make me look a bit more 'alive'. I'm asian so have medium skin tone. I was wondering if there were any brand of make up that is more natural looking and easy to manage/apply. I was thinking about going to the make-up counters and the larger department stores because I understand they can teach you to apply the products. Is this a good way to learn? I've also seen on tv some natural mineral make-ups and was contemplating ordering a trial kit. I'm really not sure how to get started. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks! :heart:

Going to the make-up counters is a great idea. Not only will they be able to give you pointers and teach you a little bit about how to apply it, but they'll also help you pick colors that will look good on you. As for applying, like I said, they can help, but it really just depends on what's most comfortable for you. Once you learn the pointers, of course.

youtube has many many tutorials for how to/different ways to apply the products once you purchase them. you can also find products reviews and the like on youtube, its pretty awesome.

Viv,

Definitely try Bare Minerals. I have been using them for almost 7 years now. It looks totally natural and is very easy to apply. They also sell the kits at the Ulta in Edgewater. I also recommend going on youtube and doing a search for "smokey eyeshadow" and tons of makeup artists' videos will pop up. That's how I learned to apply my makeup and I've come a long way from the bright pink lids. lol. Good luck!!! ANd make sure to post pics of your handywork.

Hi everyone ~ I was wondering if I can get some suggestions. I've never really used make up and I'm not really sure how to apply it either. I'm 27 years old and my mom has been telling me that I would look a bit more professional going to work if I apply a little bit of make up - just to help with my complexion and to make me look a bit more 'alive'. I'm asian so have medium skin tone. I was wondering if there were any brand of make up that is more natural looking and easy to manage/apply. I was thinking about going to the make-up counters and the larger department stores because I understand they can teach you to apply the products. Is this a good way to learn? I've also seen on tv some natural mineral make-ups and was contemplating ordering a trial kit. I'm really not sure how to get started. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks! :heart:

if you're looking to try out a few different products without investing too much i'd check out everyday minerals' sample kit. it's free (you pay shipping), you can sample a few different foundations to find your shade, plus you also get a blush sample which will also help bring some color to your face. it'll also help to give you an idea of how you feel about mineral makeup without having to invest a lot of money!

if you're going for an easy natural look, i recommend popping by the chanel or bobbi brown counters--they're really great with creating natural, work-appropriate looks. as is MAC if you just make sure to be really specific about what you want!

I personally don't recommend Bare Minerals. You need a lot of SKILL to get a smooth application. You can read up about it and others reviews on makeupalley.com

I personally started exactly how you described your plan. I also went to department stores and got great advice from makeup and skincare consultants. Usually you can ask them to give you a lesson (deposit of around 50$, almost always redeemable with purchase of products afterward) and show you what type of skin you have, how to match colours, which colours suit you....etc.
Foundations can be tricky, so I'd recommend a TINTED MOISTURIZER first. Some of my favs are from Lancome, La Mer, Clinique, and Vichy. A lot of people also like Laura Mercier's, but I personally find it too thick and oily. You can still give it a try though.
Also, if you're looking for a 'glow', I always find blush always perks up my face and makes me seem so much more alive. I recommend Nars, Chanel, and try MAC (great colour selection, but quality kinda lacks imo...).
Good luck!

Viv,

Definitely try Bare Minerals. I have been using them for almost 7 years now. It looks totally natural and is very easy to apply. They also sell the kits at the Ulta in Edgewater. I also recommend going on youtube and doing a search for "smokey eyeshadow" and tons of makeup artists' videos will pop up. That's how I learned to apply my makeup and I've come a long way from the bright pink lids. lol. Good luck!!! ANd make sure to post pics of your handywork.

Pics? Oh Cindy... I'm so scared I'm going to make myself look like a clown.

if you're looking to try out a few different products without investing too much i'd check out everyday minerals' sample kit. it's free (you pay shipping), you can sample a few different foundations to find your shade, plus you also get a blush sample which will also help bring some color to your face. it'll also help to give you an idea of how you feel about mineral makeup without having to invest a lot of money!

the mineral make up kits always intrigued me. the advertisers always make them look so easy to apply. but i've heard some horror stories about the company keep sending you stuff when you don't even order and just charge it to the cc you used to pay for shipping the original kit.

is this true? :Push:

I personally don't recommend Bare Minerals. You need a lot of SKILL to get a smooth application. You can read up about it and others reviews on makeupalley.com

I personally started exactly how you described your plan. I also went to department stores and got great advice from makeup and skincare consultants. Usually you can ask them to give you a lesson (deposit of around 50$, almost always redeemable with purchase of products afterward) and show you what type of skin you have, how to match colours, which colours suit you....etc.
Foundations can be tricky, so I'd recommend a TINTED MOISTURIZER first. Some of my favs are from Lancome, La Mer, Clinique, and Vichy. A lot of people also like Laura Mercier's, but I personally find it too thick and oily. You can still give it a try though.
Also, if you're looking for a 'glow', I always find blush always perks up my face and makes me seem so much more alive. I recommend Nars, Chanel, and try MAC (great colour selection, but quality kinda lacks imo...).
Good luck!

I think maybe going to the counters would be the best first step. I'm so clueless I don't even know where to start. It would be nice as a beginning step for me to just go and ask them to package what they think would be good for me. I should mention that I want something natural looking and not heavy or cakey. I love the make up that makes you look like you have a natural glow. I haven't heard of Nars but I'll look into CHanel and Mac.

And if I finally grow a backbone I'll head over this weekend.

You should def. start out with a light concealer, tinted moisturizer, (or liquid if you're into heavier coverage) a natural mascara, and some eyeliner. I'd suggest Shu Uemura, Shiseido, Chanel, Dior, and NARS as great brands to start out with. Don't be afraid to start out slow! A concealer and some TM will really brighten up your face - then you can work your way into practicing with eyeliner (tightlining is more natural btw) and a mascara. I wouldn't go into blush until you have a better idea of what kind of look you're going for, but for asians i find a light plummy pink looks best.

Nah. You will do fine. Like everyone else suggested...goto a makeup counter and ask them to give you a makeover and tell them you want a natural look for the day. Then they will choose the colors and apply it, etc.

The trick is to find the right colors for your skintone. Once that is done, the rest is a matter of practice.

Now, in no way am I claiming to be a makeup pro, but I think I do well enough to get away with it without looking like a "clown."

Here is a recent photo of me. (click on the bar to enlarge the photo for better details).
b183870284.jpg

I used only bare minerals and the "warmth" powder that they provide and MAC fluidline to line my upper eyes....looks pretty natural right? Looks like I have very clear nice skin...which I dont. That's what I love about BM. It is so light and natural looking. Of course, as with any new makeup, it takes time to get the hang of it. If you ever need application tips, just lemme know.

I still highly recommend BM. When applied correctly, it totally gives you an airbrushed perfect skin look without the pore-clogging oil thats found in liquid makeup.

Pics? Oh Cindy... I'm so scared I'm going to make myself look like a clown.

Last edited:
You should def. start out with a light concealer, tinted moisturizer, (or liquid if you're into heavier coverage) a natural mascara, and some eyeliner. I'd suggest Shu Uemura, Shiseido, Chanel, Dior, and NARS as great brands to start out with. Don't be afraid to start out slow! A concealer and some TM will really brighten up your face - then you can work your way into practicing with eyeliner (tightlining is more natural btw) and a mascara. I wouldn't go into blush until you have a better idea of what kind of look you're going for, but for asians i find a light plummy pink looks best.

Thanks flaweddesignn - I'll try to remember those brands when I'm at the counters. :smile:

Nah. You will do fine. Like everyone else suggested...goto a makeup counter and ask them to give you a makeover and tell them you want a natural look for the day. Then they will choose the colors and apply it, etc.

The trick is to find the right colors for your skintone. Once that is done, the rest is a matter of practice.

Now, in no way am I claiming to be a makeup pro, but I think I do well enough to get away with it without looking like a "clown."

Here is a recent photo of me. (click on the bar to enlarge the photo for better details).
b183870284.jpg

I used only bare minerals and the "warmth" powder that they provide and MAC fluidline to line my upper eyes....looks pretty natural right? Looks like I have very clear nice skin...which I dont. That's what I love about BM. It is so light and natural looking. Of course, as with any new makeup, it takes time to get the hang of it. If you ever need application tips, just lemme know.

I still highly recommend BM. When applied correctly, it totally gives you an airbrushed perfect skin look without the pore-clogging oil thats found in liquid makeup.

Hey Cin~ Looks pretty good! Your complexion looks good and it glows. I may just have to barge into your house and make you teach me! lol