Need general advice on how to wear pumps/high heels

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
I absolutely love the look of stiletto heels, although no higher than a comfortable 85, but when & where to wear them without absolutely ruining them?
A pair of Gianvitto Rossi has leather sole. just one walk on the pavement and its taken a hit. The streets are full on uneven pavement, pebble stones etc....Do you manage despite that? or do you wear other shoes until you reach your destination and essentially wear them inside?
Do you eventually replace the sole?

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Wear them when it makes you happy. Wear them when you want. If the sole goes bad, replace it or buy a new pair of shoes. It is all about how you feel not what others think about you in them.

Reactions: Sferics
Wear them when it makes you happy. Wear them when you want. If the sole goes bad, replace it or buy a new pair of shoes. It is all about how you feel not what others think about you in them.
Thanks you have a good point.
But how do women manage to walk in their heels outside? When do you wear them? Or is it something u only see at fashion week and in the movies?

But how do women manage to walk in their heels outside? When do you wear them? Or is it something u only see at fashion week and in the movies?
Well, DW has not worn heels since March when COVID-19 started...
But, in non-pandemic times, she would wear them when we would go out.
I can tell you that all high heels outings were to a place with valet parking.
She once broke her ankle pretty badly when it twisted on a sidewalk while wearing high platform shoes. She mentioned this was the end of high heels, but a year later she got her confidence back.

I love the look of heels but don't wear them as often as I used to, even when I did wear them more a few years ago it wasn't daily or anything. Heels I can wear more often that are actually comfortable would be ones with a thicker heel, and bonus if they have a rubber sole (thin black rubber sole, so it still looks like a nice shoe and isn't obvious when worn). I have some pointed styles even that I can actually wear all day just due to the thicker heel. I find thinner heels very difficult to walk in and unstable. For leather soles I don't really worry about marking it up, as I buy them to wear.

Reactions: mellecyn
Soles are soles. They are made to be ruined. I generally get a rubber sole added to mine. I wear heels almost everywhere. If you are uneven terrain, transfer the weight to the balls of your feet.
Do you manage to walk in the city with them?
I mean I have a friend who used to live in Milan and said heels everyday also.
Here the streets are so uneven with the occasional pebble stones too, it’s a nightmare if you don’t have block heels.

It is hard. Specially in Europe with all the cobbled streets. Soles are not so much of a problem because you can resole the shoes. The problem for me are thin heels and their tendency to peel off and stick in between stones. The trick is to walk putting the weight on the front of your feet. Works well on top of grass but doesn’t avoid all damage in the streets plus it can be dangerous... Anyway, I hardly ever wear heels anymore and that mostly inside (and since corona where is there to go inside). Life is so much easier.

It is hard. Specially in Europe with all the cobbled streets. Soles are not so much of a problem because you can resole the shoes. The problem for me are thin heels and their tendency to peel off and stick in between stones. The trick is to walk putting the weight on the front of your feet. Works well on top of grass but doesn’t avoid all damage in the streets plus it can be dangerous... Anyway, I hardly ever wear heels anymore and that mostly inside (and since corona where is there to go inside). Life is so much easier.
Exactly same issue with thin heels getting stuck and also balance. Having to avoid all the dangers and traps of irregular roads.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
They sell ”taps” that protect heels-especially stilettos. You can find clear, which attach over the entire shoe bottom, or the smaller sizes you place on the heel and toe. You peel them off similar to a sticker. If you can find a cobbler, or a shoe repair, they can attach taps or heel savers professionally. They‘re inexpensive and well worth it.
I’ve had to replace the heel on shoes; they either break off (when you don’t have another pair with you!) or never feel the same.

I know this is almost two years ago but my best advise is practice, practice, practice and some more. If you’re completely new to heels, wear a smaller heel and work your way up. I think it’s much more sexy to walk confidently on a smaller heel then hobble about on a larger one.

My number one rule when walking in heels is remember heel to toe. That’s how we walk in trainers, putting our heel down first and then our toes. But when we wear heels we have a habit of going flat footed (heel and toe down at the same time). This makes it harder to bend our knees and walk normally. at first you might have to think about it but after a while you’ll be a natural.
I also recommend knowing your limits, I can’t seem to walk any higher than 4 inches and that’s fine with me.