Need advice. Should I get rid of my LV storage boxes?

cocolv

Sep 4, 2015
Hey fellow bag-a-holics. I still have all my LV storage boxes in my closet. Yes, I know I'm not supposed to store them in the box but some are (not all). The thing is... I have a thing for boxes. I have a collection of enamel boxes & usually keep jewelry boxes, etc...Well now it gets to the point where I know I'm storing a lot of air & empty space. If I got rid of the boxes, I would have more room in my closet. Should I continue to keep them & maybe store them in my basement (where, who knows, maybe get damp & still go bad)? If I sell a bag it's usually on Tradesy (not into ebay) & is it more of a draw to send it with the original box? Would that matter to you? I usually have Tradesy send me their box with postage & half the time their box is too small for the original LV box & I have to make it work somehow as I advertised the bag with its original box. Are the LV boxes important to you guys? What do you do? TIA

I never cared for the old brown ones, but the new orange ones with the magnet are pretty cool. I rarely even take a box, because I don't like to store them, but sometimes it's nice to have one. Is there any way of storing something else in them so as to put them to good use? I definitely think selling with the original box is better and might even get you a better price.

Yes, buyers like to have original boxes and duster bags. I normally would only buy bags come with original duster bags and boxes, such as vintage ones should come with one small LV symbol, later one should be brown louis Vuitton letters duster with dark brown box, newest one should be almost black Louis Vuitton letter duster with golden box. If an older piece comes with golden box or shopping bag, I would be extra careful.

I saw some people were selling older pieces with golden receipt envelope and shopping bag (they did sell by the way), I was really questioning the origins of these pieces and would not buy them even prices were reasonable.

Last edited:
I never cared for the old brown ones, but the new orange ones with the magnet are pretty cool. I rarely even take a box, because I don't like to store them, but sometimes it's nice to have one. Is there any way of storing something else in them so as to put them to good use? I definitely think selling with the original box is better and might even get you a better price.

Yes, buyers like to have original boxes and duster bags. I normally would only buy bags come with original duster bags and boxes, such as vintage ones should come with one small LV symbol, later one should be brown louis Vuitton letters duster with dark brown box, newest one should be almost black Louis Vuitton letter duster with golden box. If an older piece comes with golden box or shopping bag, I would be extra careful.

I saw some people were selling older pieces with golden receipt envelope and shopping bag (they did sell by the way), I was really questioning the origins of these pieces and would not buy them even prices were reasonable.

Thank you. This is very good information. I was thinking the same about storing other things in the box. I'll have to think. Of course I could store all the smaller boxes inside the larger ones. I have them marked with post-it marking tape so I know what item belongs in what box. Maybe I'll get a larger tote box (yea, another box) & make sure it's air tight & store them either in the basement or garage. If I sell pieces I would like to present it as it original arrived to me. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

I always feel weird throwing them out because the boxes are nice. Even the shopping bag they come in is nicer then some of my purses. :lol:

I just keep the boxes separate in storage so they're out of the way, but there in case I need them later.
(I only have small boxes though, no purse boxes)

I keep the small boxes but not the big ones because they take up so much room. I think the only box I've gotten (when purchasing 2nd hand) was for my Favorite MM.

I got rid of my bags and boxes as it's a total waste of space. When I buy preloved I don't care about the box. I've seen lots counterfeit bags with real boxes and fake receipts.

I always feel weird throwing them out because the boxes are nice. Even the shopping bag they come in is nicer then some of my purses. :lol:

I just keep the boxes separate in storage so they're out of the way, but there in case I need them later.
(I only have small boxes though, no purse boxes)

I keep the small boxes but not the big ones because they take up so much room. I think the only box I've gotten (when purchasing 2nd hand) was for my Favorite MM.

the big ones are good for storing Christmas decorations. If I don't have a use for the box I will throw it away or not even take one when purchasing an item. They take up too much room.

Thanks for all your input. I agree about how nice the boxes are too (IMHO). I think I'll keep the boxes but store them somewhere besides my closet & try my best to keep them organized & safe in case I sell an item. Thanks for your time & ideas.

Depends if you later want to sell your items. Not having the original box may devalue your items. I also own a few pre-loved designer items, and having the original boxes were a big factor in whether I was going to purchase the items or not. Not having a original box was for some reason off-putting for me.

Depends if you later want to sell your items. Not having the original box may devalue your items.
This is not accurate with regard to LV bags. Very rarely does a bag get resold with its box--it would also seriously increase shipping costs. Sometimes you get a box with preowned SLGs, but it's not too important.

Why not repurpose your boxes for storage? They're sturdy and certainly reusable.

I really like to have the original Box and also invoice so I keep everything. But if I would have too much, maybe I would also like to get more space.
You can also easily get a original Box from LV from ebay so if you would sell something you can get it there. But if you sell something I think it is a plus to have them, but not a negative point if you don't have them!