Natalie Cole: Amy Winehouse, Did Not Deserve To Win Grammy !

Jan 23, 2006
Amy Winehouse said she was "so happy and proud" of her Grammys victory on Sunday night, but it seems not every is sharing in her joy.

Singer Natalie Cole, daughter of late music legend Nat King Cole, has criticised the singer's triumph at the ceremony, saying she did not deserve to win any awards.

The Unforgettable singer, who has admitted to using drugs in the past, claims Winehouse is being rewarded for her "bad behaviour".
She told a US magazine: "I don't think she should have won. I think it sends a bad message to our young people who are trying to get into this business - the ones who are trying to do it right and are really trying to keep themselves together."

Winehouse, 24, took home five Grammys on Sunday, including record of the year, song of the year and best new artist.

She also rocked the crowd at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, with performances of You Know I'm No Good and Rehab via satellite.

But Cole, who scooped her first Grammy Award in 1975, told People magazine the troubled Brit was not a worthy winner.

AmyWineColeBIG_468x647.jpg

Controversial win: Natalie Cole (right) says Amy Winehouse's Grammys victory sends a 'bad message'

We have to stop rewarding bad behaviour," the 58-year-old said.

"I'm sorry. I think the girl is talented, gifted, but it's not right for her to be able to have her cake and eat it too."

She added: "She needs to get herself together. Her performance was fine. I don't take anything away from her talent.

"I just feel like she's stepping into a place that she hasn't earned yet."

Winehouse, whose husband Blake Fielder Civil is currently in jail accused of trying to pervert the course of justice, entered rehab at the end of last month

winehouse7REX1102_468x561.jpg

Emotional: Janis congratulates her tearful daughter at the Grammy awards on Sunday

The Dailymail

I kind of agree.

we see all this footage of her tokin, sniffing and snorting. and no one really says anything about it.

there was a time when drugs would end your career..nowadays its the jumpstart that you need for a boost (in more ways then one)

sad times we live in

LOL! what does Natalie Cole have to be jealous of? she has had her successes and awards in the past...

Amy is the one still starting out

Highly unlikely she is jealous. I think this is Britney aftermath. You see so much self-destruction among these celebs. They had to pull her from rehab to do the performance. Natalie Cole is a mom, she is older, and she had seen more. She has based her opinion on her view and what she knows of the industry.

Strange coming from a woman who admitted she was using drugs. Stranger even because Natalie was arrested in 1975 for possession of heroin. The same year she won her Grammy award.

Interesting when you consider that Natalie has had her own drug problems.

But still, the Grammy was awarded to Amy because of her album, her songs and her talent. I really hope she gets herself cleaned up because she's fantastically talented, but I don't think her drug problem should factor into an award given for her WORK and TALENT at all. I hope she gets better soon and really does become a good role model for young people trying to make it that see that she could have gone that much further earlier if she had been clean and sober. Just my opinion. Get better soon, Amy.

Interesting when you consider that Natalie has had her own drug problems.

But still, the Grammy was awarded to Amy because of her album, her songs and her talent. I really hope she gets herself cleaned up because she's fantastically talented, but I don't think her drug problem should factor into an award given for her WORK and TALENT at all. I hope she gets better soon and really does become a good role model for young people trying to make it that see that she could have gone that much further earlier if she had been clean and sober. Just my opinion. Get better soon, Amy.

I agree. And don't forget, we know about Amy's drug problem.

But there are probably more Grammy award winners (or other famous celebs) out there who are using drugs that we don't even know about.