My ridiculously unfair job!!!

don't let it happen again!!!!! :supacool:

calzz - i am sure that it seems unfair to have to pay so much for parking, but honestly, that's one of the things you have to examine when you take a job offer. i only work in dc because i can carpool. i could not afford gas to/from every day (an hour+ each way) PLUS parking (at least $200/month). :sad:

When I hear things like that it makes me so glad that my firm pays my parking. Parking here is also $200/m

I work at my university also, and no offense, but no student should expect a really sweet salary from an on campus job. I work in the payroll dept. at my university and don't make alot either, but it's better than not making anything at all.

As far as the parking issue goes...I think it's your bad. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I have to pay for parking on campus too, just like many many college students who work on campus but live off campus, etc. That's just the way it is, you gotta live through it.

Is there any other way you can get to school? Maybe ride a bike on nice days, walk, take a bus or shuttle?

When I saw the title of the thread, I expected to hear a job horror story, but the reality is that your job isn't ridiculously unfair... it's normal for people to have to pay for parking and to be responsible for their own fines.

However, I didnt want to buy a summer parking permit to work here- wats the point, isn't the school supposed to be paying me and not the other way around?

YOU were the one that wanted a free ride... out of a sense of entitlement? You accepted the job in the summer, knowing what everyone else has to pay for parking, and now you are all upset that things didn't go your way. I'm sorry if this is coming off as really harsh, but it's hard for me to sympathize with you. Next time, buy a pass. Then you wouldn't have to pay for daily parking.

well the expiration date of the permit said Sept 2nd on it...as the guy from the office had written it-and I had used it the entire summer without problems so I coun't have known it was faulty.

I would have bought the parking permit with no problem and used that instead- that's not the issue - I know that everybody usually pays for those-- the office offered the permit to ME i didnt ask for one at all

the problem is that these people are not seeing these issues for what they are, and I wouldnt be in this situation if someone's mistake didn't get thrown on me...and the people responsible for it aren't even able to see that it's not my fault.

Its disrespectful to me that my school would treat its students this way.

calzz - i think most of us were reacting to this:
I didnt want to buy a summer parking permit to work here- wats the point, isn't the school supposed to be paying me and not the other way around?

but regardless - if the guy gave you a pass and it doesn't expire until sept 2 - i don't know how they could ticket you for that? so strange. :sad: i'm sorry.

So i went to my boss and she tried to get it appealed but they wouldnt do it!

the problem is that these people are not seeing these issues for what they are, and I wouldnt be in this situation if someone's mistake didn't get thrown on me...and the people responsible for it aren't even able to see that it's not my fault.

Its disrespectful to me that my school would treat its students this way.

But honestly, your boss seems like she tried to help and even tried to get it appealed. That's more than most bosses would do for a student worker.

Yes, it sucks that there was an error with the parking pass. But look at it this way-you were able to park for free for a good chunk of the summer which is a privilege, not a right. Why do you want to burn bridges and offend the people that were trying to help you out? Having the guy that gave you the pass pay for it when it was probably an honest mistake is just bad for karma.

Student jobs don't pay well, yes, but they are vital because they will get you great references once you are ready to join the work force. Your office seems to be nice (above and beyond most jobs), and it seems like you want something for nothing...

Aha! New information! I will have to revise. If the pass did have a date, and that date was Sept 2, then it is not the fault of the guy who gave it to you.

It sounds like the fault lies with whatever entity ticketed you, and if your boss was unable to reason with them, then you will be stuck with paying the $80, since it is basically money that whatever entity issued the ticket is demanding.

Sometimes in life, there will be occasions when you run into situations like that, and the best way to handle it is to give them the money as you would if they were robbers on the street demanding your handbag, and remove yourself from the danger of further harm.

In your case, that would be looking into off-campus jobs.

I do understand what you guys are saying, I do think the guy who gave me the permit had good intentions, but he wrote it on the wrote type of permit which was only supposed to be for very temporary people...so even though it said sept 2nd, that type isn't supposed to extend that far.

I'm just mad that the parking people for the school I worked for couldn't see through that...and everyone thinking i'm trying to not pay... I'd much rather had paid for it!

I'm guess I'm really sensitive about being wronged by stuff like this; its not about the money- I really dont like feeling used or mistreated

When I was younger a lot of adults and people took advantage of the fact that I was left a considerable sum of money and I got into so many lawsuits and crap basically being able to control anything that was going on...

now that I'm on my own, i like to be in control over my finances...and i definitely don't like getting messed with by people who hold any sort of power over me (like my employers or school too), because ive been screwed so much in the past many times by many different adults.

I do understand what you guys are saying, I do think the guy who gave me the permit had good intentions, but he wrote it on the wrote type of permit which was only supposed to be for very temporary people...so even though it said sept 2nd, that type isn't supposed to extend that far.

I'm just mad that the parking people for the school I worked for couldn't see through that...and everyone thinking i'm trying to not pay... I'd much rather had paid for it!

I'm guess I'm really sensitive about being wronged by stuff like this; its not about the money- I really dont like feeling used or mistreated

When I was younger a lot of adults and people took advantage of the fact that I was left a considerable sum of money and I got into so many lawsuits and crap basically being able to control anything that was going on...

now that I'm on my own, i like to be in control over my finances...and i definitely don't like getting messed with by people who hold any sort of power over me (like my employers or school too), because ive been screwed so much in the past many times by many different adults.

Not to sound rude, but if you were left a lot of money why are you acting like you are a poor college student with nothing? I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would love to be in your situation...furthering your education, gaining experience and having money at a young age. I live in an area that is very economically depressed right now and I bet you those people would love to be complaining about what you are saying...

When I was a teaching/research assistant and then as a graduate assistant, I never expected to make tons of money or to get free parking - I was just happy that my name will appear on the research paper/book. That was a while ago so maybe times have changed. I'm sorry to say this but you haven't been used or mistreated - it's up to you to check if the permit is expired or not. Even if he gave it you and said it's good, always do a double-check. Think of it as a lesson learned that you'll check beforehand next time. However, you do have options if you think you're not getting what you deserve:

Options:

1. Get a job somewhere else that has free parking - re-evaluate whether having a job close to your research project is more important than free parking and vice versa.
2. Live on campus
3. Take public transportation
4. Carpool
5. Bike - if close enough