My rant for the day: Doesn't anyone care to follow the Best Offer rules?

bulletproofsoul

Always on the hunt
O.G.
Jan 18, 2007
Well, this is my second bad experience with Best Offer in about a month, only this time, it's with me as a buyer. I had previously ranted in here (thank god we have this subforum to blow off steam!) about accepting a best offer from a potential buyer within the 48 hour period and having them contact me days later (after I sent an invoice, etc.) to tell me that I took too long to accept their offer and they can't pay for the bag because they already spent the money (WTF?!)

This time, I submitted an offer yesterday (a very fair one, I am a seller too, and people that lowball with insulting amounts really tick me off) and the seller sent me a counter-offer this morning. I thought it was fair and was going to accept. Now, I've been away from my computer a lot the past couple of days (a very good friend of the family was found dead- I suspect murder because all of his cash was gone- in his home yesterday morning), so I was all set to accept today. When I went to check my email, I notice that the counter-offer had been retracted and I looked up the item to see a new BIN (with no counter offer option) price, which was lower than the counter offer I received on the item. I was even more stoked and went to hit the BIN, only to find that the item had ended. Turned out, the seller had been dealing back and forth with another potential buyer, even though she had counter-offered ME! UGGGHHHHHH! What in the world is wrong with people? She said she didn't think I'd accept since it had been "so long". WHAT? It was just this morning! Do people really think everyone has time to be on ebay all day long? I have a job and other personal issues! I get back to people AS SOON AS I CAN, but geez, why doesn't anyone have any patience or respect for the rules?? :cursing:

*sigh*
/rant over.

I am sorry you are disapointed but the seller didn't break any rules. That is how best offer works. Someone else offered her and she/he accepted.
Best offer works like the fixed price. First come first serve.

^That's what I thought too. The seller may have just wanted to sell her item fast, but she's certainly not breaking any rules as far as I know. Sellers can counteroffer all the potential buyers at once or accept new offers that come in. It's unfortunate that it did not work out for you and the seller may have been too anxious to make a sale, but it's perfectly legal what she did.

I rant on this every couple of days. My last one was a person who retracted their best offer 5 hours after they made it. I blocked them from bidding on my stuff. It seems like I have had more and more retractions lately! There is no fear on buyers or sellers not to do so since eBay doesn't seem to punish people for it.

i believe they can deal with multiple buyers and whoever takes them up on it first gets it. you can send counteroffers to multiple people at once. first taker wins.

Hmmm...well, I was the only offer "pending" or countered, everything else was declined. :confused1: I did check the offer history before deciding to accept the counter, but within minutes, literally of my reviewing the auction, the counter-offer was withdrawn and a new BIN (with no Best Offer option) was in place. I went to hit BIN (thinking she did this for me somehow, since it was lower than her counter and just slightly higher than my original offer) and it was already sold to another person.

She didn't accept another "Best Offer". She canceled my counter-offer and offered someone else a BIN of an amount LOWER than my counter-offer, not through the Best Offer system. The counteroffer was only in place for several hours. Oh well, maybe I don't understand the rules of Best Offer, but I didn't realize the seller was hashing out a deal with someone else outside of the "Best Offer" platform, and that I should be expecting this. Live and learn, I guess.