My project bag

I need some opinions/thoughts though. The original strap was not replaced as the $ was ridiculously high for LV to replace it. So I bought a non-LV vachetta strap.

I am contemplating whether to cut the original LV strap and then maybe figure out a way to use the vachetta strap that I bought.

If you were me, would you cut the original strap or maybe just use the original strap or leave it hidden inside the bag as pictured?

With original strap (dry and cracking but not obvious when worn)
IMG_4143.JPG

Side view
IMG_4144.JPG

I would cut the strap. the vachetta cannot be fixed once its cracked like that and will only look worse and worse. Plus if you look in the photo it makes your new strap angled on the ring and LV tabs have been known to tear when the straps are attached at an angle.

Reactions: ulla
Looks like a brand new bag! Love the interior color of your car seats.

Thank you. [emoji1]It did turn out well. Just not sure what to do with the straps.

Before I received the bag back, I was going to cut the original strap but LV did a pretty good repair job and the replaced vachetta looks a bit aged to match the surrounding vachetta. I don’t mind wearing it with the original strap as it still looks pretty good but maybe a new vachetta strap looks better? ‍♀️

I would cut the strap. the vachetta cannot be fixed once its cracked like that and will only look worse and worse. Plus if you look in the photo it makes your new strap angled on the ring and LV tabs have been known to tear when the straps are attached at an angle.

Thank you for your opinion on this. Only thing is I’m not sure the clasp will move around the square ring too much. If I wear the non-LV strap with the square ring, it might still be at an angle.

Thank you for your opinion on this. Only thing is I’m not sure the clasp will move around the square ring too much. If I wear the non-LV strap with the square ring, it might still be at an angle.
you could cut the old strap right above the stitch line so that piece remains so it will not allow the strap closure to move significantly but that would keep it at the same angle as in the picture... I have only heard of this issue with the tabs tearing on larger or very full bags so it may be fine with such as small bag but i would be careful with making it to heavy. To be honest I personally would have had the tab replaced too to lessen this issue but to each his own.

you could cut the old strap right above the stitch line so that piece remains so it will not allow the strap closure to move significantly but that would keep it at the same angle as in the picture... I have only heard of this issue with the tabs tearing on larger or very full bags so it may be fine with such as small bag but i would be careful with making it to heavy. To be honest I personally would have had the tab replaced too to lessen this issue but to each his own.

I have the same thought myself about cutting above the stitch line and maybe put in a D-ring.

Tab replacement, hmm maybe if it does tear I’ll get LV to replace it then. It does look kinda dry but fingers crossed it’ll hold up for a few more years.

I would cut it. You can also buy a mono strap or vachetta strap from LV and use that too. I know how you feel, we are all hesitant about doing things like that but it's your bag, remember LV bags are known for/meant to be personalized. That's how you personalize it. The bag turned out great!

Thank you. Yes very pleased with the results. [emoji16] I was going to personalize it a bit more but now thinking it might be too much. Thinking of getting the canvas painted. Still deliberating it.

Reactions: EdnaMode
I think it likely will hold up with some luck, maybe try a leather conditioner to protect the lower grain of the leather as it appears that the cracks are not terribly deep and may at this stage be more like flaking of the top grain layer. I always use Saphir renovatuer as it is an all natural conditioner and works wonders on my bags, but be forewarned any conditioner that works will darken the leather slightly.

Reactions: LadyInLA and ahhgoo
I believe it!! Can I know how much you paid as I’ve been eyeballing solognes for a while but would need to do same?

I paid about C$350 for the original bag and the repair cost from LV was C$565 before tax. If I wanted to replace the strap, it’ll be another C$320. And if I wanted to replace all the vachetta edging including those in front, it’ll cost around C$950 if I recall correctly.

So...if I want to completely revamp this bag with all new vachetta including the straps, probably run to around ~$1300 before tax and not including the original purchase price I paid. [emoji33]

I would advise maybe buying something that doesn’t need to be fixed but it does cost quite a bit more. I like the design of the Sologne and wish LV still makes this new.