My professor told me Chanel bags are all made in China but assembled in Europe?

So what if parts or pieces or fabrication is done in China and then shipped to Europe to assemble? Why is that a bad thing? Many different things are raw materials are made in China and sent all over the world. I have several China based companies that are my clients in Houston.... All my iPhones and iPads are made in China. Remember the Bru-ha-ha when Ralph Lauren had the US Olympic Team Opening Ceremony uniforms made in China? do you wear any Ralph Lauren clothes? Maybe if Chanel allowed more of the assembly done in China they could stop price increases. I haven't bought anything Chanel since 2010, because I have 4 Chanel Handbags that I use all the time and don't really want any more.. but where they are made doesn't matter to me. Sorry. If we are a true "global" economy I don't get why it matters.

So what if parts or pieces or fabrication is done in China and then shipped to Europe to assemble? Why is that a bad thing? Many different things are raw materials are made in China and sent all over the world. I have several China based companies that are my clients in Houston.... All my iPhones and iPads are made in China. Remember the Bru-ha-ha when Ralph Lauren had the US Olympic Team Opening Ceremony uniforms made in China? do you wear any Ralph Lauren clothes? Maybe if Chanel allowed more of the assembly done in China they could stop price increases. I haven't bought anything Chanel since 2010, because I have 4 Chanel Handbags that I use all the time and don't really want any more.. but where they are made doesn't matter to me. Sorry. If we are a true "global" economy I don't get why it matters.

i don't think the problem is that they are made in china but that companies like chanel, prada and others claim that the bags are made in italy, france or spain and charge accordingly
they continue to exploit the myth of the artisan crafted leather goods to their advantage

Perhaps having a bag made or parts of a bag made in China doesn't make it 'bad'. But it certainly doesn't scream of quality and craftsmanship. We are willing to pay the very high price Chanel and other designers command for quality and OOAK production. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Chanel outsources several things and only some of the bags are assembled in France and Italy.

I would expect Michael Kors, Rebecca Minkoff and bag designers on that level to be in China, but not the couture lines. What the heck are we paying for then, if they are using China to save money on production costs.

I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AND I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT !.

while some materials can be found because of geographical región in CHINA Chanel pre prodution actually happens in EUROPE. heres why i know. i went to the true source of things and found out !!! that the inmense amounts of leather purchsed from the tanneries never passes chinnese or asian costums this tells us thta at least the leather quilting and major components are not from chineese origin and since they do not pass costums they are NOT ! sourced cut or "preassembled" in asia !!! now i do not now about H-W or other trimmings but ! at least it gives us a bit more information. this said some SKINS like python and certain lizard detailing ítems do in fact come from asian tannerys because the species is of asian origin. SO HOPE IT HELPS ! birkel.

I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY AND I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT !.

while some materials can be found because of geographical región in CHINA Chanel pre prodution actually happens in EUROPE. heres why i know. i went to the true source of things and found out !!! that the inmense amounts of leather purchsed from the tanneries never passes chinnese or asian costums this tells us thta at least the leather quilting and major components are not from chineese origin and since they do not pass costums they are NOT ! sourced cut or "preassembled" in asia !!! now i do not now about H-W or other trimmings but ! at least it gives us a bit more information. this said some SKINS like python and certain lizard detailing ítems do in fact come from asian tannerys because the species is of asian origin. SO HOPE IT HELPS ! birkel.

Very true darling! And in any case couture is strictly regulated in France and has to meet certain legal requirements, it is impossible for 'couture' to be made in China.... Honestly guys, whatever next...

Not Chanel but my friend just started dating a guy whose family business provides croc skins to the fashion houses. We were having a chat about raw materials of branded goods and he said the tannery that provides croc skins to a well known fashion house also do the color dye and basic construction of the bag.

Now, it is common knowledge that this tannery provides croc skin to this fashion house. But I would have thought that they are just the raw material supplier. I certainly wouldn't expect the house to bred their own crocodiles!

But to also do the coloring and basic construction of the bag, doesn't seem very right since their selling proposition was that of,"Made in France".

He said the cost price of a croc skin bag starts from US$5000.
I don't know if what he said was true or not but assuming he's in the industry himself, he probably has more access to trade secrets than the common layman like most of us.

Very true darling! And in any case couture is strictly regulated in France and has to meet certain legal requirements, it is impossible for 'couture' to be made in China.... Honestly guys, whatever next...

Well said ladysarah! I am glad you said something with come sense and true knowledge (no offense to anyone pls😊). ^+1

Last edited:
I think I have read every post on this thread. Until Chanel can provide written proof that they don't have CHINA involved than there's nothing no one can tell me. ladysarah seems very upset with others thoughts and views. The more I read your posts...the more I'm convinced Chanel is trying to do damage control. There are several ladies on TPF that recognize a change in Chanel's quality. The super fakes are apart of this whole issue. China now have the patent (due to being apart of making the bags) that Chanel utilize and now create exact duplicates.

I was at the Chanel store in West Palm Beach to pick up my repair. I already own a Jumbo Black Caviar GHW, but out of curiosity I wanted to see the 20xxxxx series. When she placed it on the counter, I thought it was a fake Chanel bag. The caviar was dull and flat. The ghw looked like 10kt. gold plating.

Yes, we are being duped and it's up to us to make the final decision. No matter how someone else try to discourage your thoughts and feelings.

I might be ignorant, but where and how would china produced so many leathers when they literally have a shortage of farmers? I was watching this documentary how young people in china (or the majority of Asia) does not want to do farming for a more glamorous job, or what they think it is, in the city. Now for that croc skin for a particular house, yes, some of them are farmed and tanned here in Australia but not cut! ( they don't have the machiniries for cutting an outline of the bag. They still have to pass the quality restriction of the house which are very strict (how far the grains are, the smoothness, cleanliness, etc.), and they are paid $3500 - $100,000 depending. I know this because my uncle did the interview that later aired on a TV program.

I think to have any part of a Chanel bag that says "Made in France" or "Made in Italy" farmed out to China is wrong on so many levels. Then why in heaven's name do we have such hefty price increases?

It's horrible to think they would be doing that- That wouldn't justify the price increases. Oh please let this NOT be true! :rant::mad::cursing:

It is indeed sad when the lies replace the truths. In a world driven by lust and greed for money, where profits becomes the focus driving things, where do those who seek other things belong? Perhaps it's time for some new ideals, some new priorities to take place. This is a decision we each have to make.

+1 Greed is disgusting.

It's best to buy vintage and second hand. you can get the same value for less.

Well said ladysarah! I am glad you said something with come sense and true knowledge (no offense to anyone pls😊). ^+1

Very interesting. I didn't know France regulates the word couture. I googled French couture and came up with the following:

The criteria for haute couture were established in 1945 and updated in 1992. To earn the right to call itself a couture house and to use the term haute couture in its advertising and any other way, members of the Chambre syndicale de la haute couture must follow these rules:

Design made-to-order for private clients, with one or more fittings.

Have a workshop (atelier) in Paris that employs at least fifteen staff members full-time.

Must have twenty, full-time technical people in at least one workshop (atelier).

Every season, present a collection of at least fifty original designs to the public, both day and evening garments, in January and July of each year.

So.... Based on the above, Chanel or others can have just 1 workshop in Paris that employs 15 people and still qualify as couture.