My professor told me Chanel bags are all made in China but assembled in Europe?

Chanel bags are sewn by hand, but the leather is cut by machine for uniformity. Sewn by hand doesn't mean one bag is manufactured by one artisan from start to finish, as you would see at an artisan's table who makes Birkins. With Chanel, you would probably see some artisans sewing, another group placing hardware or shoulder straps. It's just different.

But this article from PurseForum shows them using sewing machine?

http://www.purseblog.com/chanel/how-a-chanel-bag-is-made/

But this article from PurseForum shows them using sewing machine?

http://www.purseblog.com/chanel/how-a-chanel-bag-is-made/

Yes. I remember seeing the Chanel article (2011).

Please understand, when I said by hand, I didn't necessarily mean whip-stitching every single stitch on every single bag (like 75 years ago). I mean humans sew the bags (in intricate areas perhaps using their fingers and a needle; other areas of the bag/item- the human runs a sewing machine at a station).
Also, I stated, in some companies, the high end (rare material) bags are made a little differently.

I just visited a tannery and leather store in my area because I was curious about making my own tote bags. A man who works there was very interesting. He showed me the different skins- buffalo, calf, lamb, ostrich and more (I understand the thickness, heartiness and weight better now). He also showed me leather sewing machines and needles, the mallets and other hand tools, and showed me how to perforate leather to be able to pierce through it with a needle and sew in a straight line, by hand. I learned a lot about how involved the process is to make certain bags. Of course the luxury companies hire artisans who can probably make a bag in their sleep, but it's still quite time consuming to do it right. Leather is unforgiving. A missed stitch or a mistake will leave a hole, and the leather has to be replaced with a matching piece.

I'm sorry for not communicating my point and any information very well.

I am starting to believe this. The reason I believe this is because a friend of mine just got a Chanel which she claims is fake and we compared it to the one in the Chanel store which retailed for over $4000 and we were shocked that the fake one was identical to the the real one. Another friend has a fake one and we also compared it to the real version as well and lets say the fake version was better quality then the real version and this was a $6000 bag compared to the fake price she paid $400. It was so good we couldn't even tell them apart. Maybe there was a few things off but it was unrecognizable. This alone leads me to believe that it could be highly possible that Chanel is actually made in China and both the fake and real versions are both being manufactured in the same place. This alone makes you not want to justifying in paying thousands of dollars for a real retail bag when the fake is almost near identical or identical if not better than the actual real in store retail version.

Reactions: Mousy
I am starting to believe this. The reason I believe this is because a friend of mine just got a Chanel which she claims is fake and we compared it to the one in the Chanel store which retailed for over $4000 and we were shocked that the fake one was identical to the the real one. Another friend has a fake one and we also compared it to the real version as well and lets say the fake version was better quality then the real version and this was a $6000 bag compared to the fake price she paid $400. It was so good we couldn't even tell them apart. Maybe there was a few things off but it was unrecognizable. This alone leads me to believe that it could be highly possible that Chanel is actually made in China and both the fake and real versions are both being manufactured in the same place. This alone makes you not want to justifying in paying thousands of dollars for a real retail bag when the fake is almost near identical or identical if not better than the actual real in store retail version.

It was rumored many years ago, in lower end brands, the best fake bags were those that (were real and) had some undetectable flaw. They were sneaked out of the factories, eluding the fire that destroyed the bags that couldnt pass inspection and be sold.

Reactions: orangefeast