My professor told me Chanel bags are all made in China but assembled in Europe?

Hopefully someone answers I really want to prove this professor wrong. I even emailed Chanel

did they answer? i heard about it many years, but also was many articles about such thing will never happen, because it will destroy they image blah blah. but... quality of bags, in my opinion, not so great anymore.. why?

i'm a bit confused to your topic. made and assembled? that's the same thing. I would assume what you mean is, the parts are to be from china and then shipped back to europe for the full assembly. that unfortunately is the case for many luxury brands, but they will never disclose that info. there are certain law requirements that as long as 50% of the finished product is assembled in the country it's made, it can therefore be labeled made in "???". many timepiece companies have long been doing that.

I just got a response from Chanel:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the manufacturing of a Chanel Handbag.

The original materials of the handbag were jersey and lambskin. Today, the range extends to a variety of materials and leathers. Every bag has at least one inside pocket and is sold with an "identity card" which guarantees the authenticity of the item. The number is also engraved inside of the handbag.

Using a combination of advanced technology and traditional craftsmanship, the Chanel France and Italy factories produce handbags of superior design and construction. There are 180 steps involved in creating bags of the highest-quality materials and many components are crafted by hand.

Chanel Accessories are sold exclusively at CHANEL Boutiques and specialty department stores. We recommend that you visit our Store Locator at http://www.chanel.com to find the location nearest you.

Should you require additional information, please call 800.550.0005 to speak with a Chanel customer service representative. We appreciate your continued interest in Chanel.

Warm Regards

This reply is a whole lot of nothing in my opinion.

i'm a bit confused to your topic. made and assembled? that's the same thing. I would assume what you mean is, the parts are to be from china and then shipped back to europe for the full assembly. that unfortunately is the case for many luxury brands, but they will never disclose that info. there are certain law requirements that as long as 50% of the finished product is assembled in the country it's made, it can therefore be labeled made in "???". many timepiece companies have long been doing that.

This is the answer and yes your professor is correct. Chanel bags are not 100% made in China but do to supply and demand Chanel, Prada, and many others have out sourced to China for increased production which explains why Chanel and many others have had quality issues lately.

I also believe Hermes is included because they could not continue the "waiting list only" and get maximum profits and it would also explain the quality issues Hermes has as well. When I was first told about this I really struggled with if I wanted to buy any luxury bags, shoes, etc. again but as long as I'm satisfied then it will always be worth it to me.

As for the price increases, they're capitalizing on popularity and trying to keep Chanel "exclusive" the day Chanel becomes "affordable" it will no longer be exclusive.

Seems they maintain they're made in Italy and France.
Using a combination of advanced technology and traditional craftsmanship, the Chanel France and Italy factories produce handbags of superior design and construction.

Any professor should be challenged. Have you asked her where's the source of her information?

Well, I've heard the same - that materials/part could be shipped from X country and assembled with final stamp in Italy or France. I've seen the promotional videos of a craftsman assembling a Chanel, Dior etc. proving its handmade. BUT these are usually exotic leathers, materials costing several thousands over regular (caviar, for example) bags. My bet is the more exclusive/intricate the bag - it's made by hand as customer is paying the price.

I would hope there is someone on tPF incognito who has first hand experience and knows the real scoop on these bags. I think many will still buy even though they know the bags are partially assembled in China for example.. I HOPE someone could prove me WRONG!

Changing the subject a bit. I've traveled to Italy and Paris. A couple of things stand out in my mind. Many of the craftsman who passed a skill from generation to generation had to succumb to mass production. Those beautiful leather jackets, Murano glass, religious wood carvings, etc. are no longer made by local craftsman, instead a majority is outsourced. China for example might be producing quality product at a cheaper price to consumer. So how does luxury designers keep up with the demand of Speedy 30's, Chanel's? Maybe some of the bags and accessories are assembled overseas. I have mixed feelings and heard a few rumors of designer goods when I was in Italy/France. I won't repeat it. Even though, I have purchased at least 2 Chanels (one seasonal/one classic) since my visits.

Chanel is like sin, we can't get enough of it.

I have also heard that materials/parts were produced/processed in China and assembled in Europe. This was done so that brands could legally use the 'made in France' (or in any other European country) stamp, instead of the 'made in China'. This has nothing to do with 'hand made' or 'machine made'.

Last edited:

Seems they maintain they're made in Italy and France.

According to this response, Chanel seems to be circumventing this law very well. My father is now telling me that the Faconnable shirts he bought in Paris at EUR200 a pop were made in Romania and Malaysia :graucho: This world has gone crazy :amuse:

Last edited: